• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mr. Osomatsu

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Fun facts: Mad Max 1 is a really slow relationship drama and Max isn´t even a proper protagonist.

Yeah, he's generally a strong supporting presence in other characters' stories - which, oddly, is my favorite type of protagonist.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
Fun facts: Mad Max 1 is a really slow relationship drama and Max isn´t even a proper protagonist.

Yeah, he's generally a strong supporting presence in other characters' stories - which, oddly, is my favorite type of protagonist.

We had to watch this during my Foreign Film course in college. I was floored by the stark difference between this and all the sequels. Mostly we discussed the film's theme of the "One Road," how the characters always traveled down it throughout the movie without question or veering off course. Always the road. None of us mentioned the production's lack of filming permits.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 18

This episode was outright hilarious and these characters are beyond salvation. On another note, if you bother to pause and actually read the rules of the race, apart from all ridiculous rules, this is one that states "racer's citizenship,gender,etc will not be question." This explains why the French President is participating the race.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
This explains why the French President is participating the race.

And also he appeared in that episode with Iyami's teeth. They really did put all the one-off characters from previous episodes into the race. Anime hyper
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 19

I also agree that the Girlymatsu/Joshimatsu skits have outstayed their welcome. It was cool that they aged them, but the segments don't vary much and, as one-note caricatures and little more, the characters aren't particularly endearing. The last segment helped me articulate the only real issue I have with the series' writing: it went a bit overboard with its focus on Jyushimatsu and Ichimatsu without spacing it out. (Ignoring the AU segments here, though it doesn't really change much.) They've gotten a lot of screentime, much of it focusing on them as individuals or allowing viewers to get into their heads. Both got the dramatic/heartfelt segments.

It seemed like the writers tried to balance it out here, but it sort of flounders because Oso, Choro, and Todo haven't had real solo segments in awhile. Some more recent bits (Todomatsu's Line, Choromatsu Incident, this one) are ostensibly about individual characters, but wind up involving the others--often the Oso/Choro/Todo trio--too much and lose that focus. It definitely doesn't make these episodes bad or any less funny, but they aren't all too different from ones that revolve around the brothers as a group. And I get that it's somewhat difficult game to play, involving the other brothers while still maintaining a high degree of focus on one in particular, but they've managed it before. We haven't really been in Todomatsu's head since episode 7, Osomatsu since episode 2, and Choromatsu since...4, I guess, but it wasn't much about him. More or less, they wind up sharing segments together rather than starring in them.

Looking back, Karamatsu is a weird case. It feels like he has had more focus than he actually has. It's just he gets lots of screentime alongside everyone else and they use him as a memorable punchline. He hasn't had a segment since episode 9 (or the short skit at the start of 10).
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Episode 19 had a few laughs (loved the old fashioned Edo Japan skits) but it was definitely a lot more subdued. Especially compared to Iyami's Counterattack. I'm just going to assume they really needed a more chill episode after that one.

Choromatsu's Rising, though, was a little disappointing honestly. It would have been so much fun if it was just about all the brother's trying to get Choro back to his old self. I didn't think they needed to throw in the self-awareness orbs. Not for this episode anyway.

That concept probably could have been used in another skit where all the Matsus became completely aware of who they are and hijinks ensue to try and shrink their orbs back into proper size. But unfortunately the entire world becomes self-aware and then BOOM, everyone dies.

And the Girlymatsu-skit wasn't the best either. Them as old ladies was fine, but it was just watching them be catty....Again.

Last edited by DigitalScratch on Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:27 am; edited 3 times in total
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
It feels like stories set in the "real" world have become kind of an afterthought since the second cour began. I haven't necessarily disliked any of the alternate universe segments, but I'm not crazy about the way they've overtaken the show.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
It feels like stories set in the "real" world have become kind of an afterthought since the second cour began. I haven't necessarily disliked any of the alternate universe segments, but I'm not crazy about the way they've overtaken the show.

Oh yeah, while I like them, I'm not as into the AU segments either. I think part of it comes down to the fact that if you aren't big on a setting, you're not gonna get a lot of mileage out of the skit as a whole. The genderflipped segments are a perfect example. (I'm also naturally inclined toward character interaction and/or development episodes, but the AU parts don't have any overall influence, so I don't find them as enjoyable.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I believe there were "only" 17 Hijirisawa brothers total, hence them being "heptadecuplets."

I'm probably wrong, but I thought the self-awareness blob was a riff on Akira. Anyway, I enjoyed that segment the most, being a little tired myself of people saying they're going to do something instead of just doing it. :)
irfanf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We haven't really been in Todomatsu's head since episode 7, Osomatsu since episode 2, and Choromatsu since...4, I guess, but it wasn't much about him.

What about ep.18 with the Iyami vs Osomatsu part, and ep.13 with the introduction of Fappymatsu?
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Although the show never bores, episodes like this prove that Mr. Osomatsu isn't always a laugh-a-second affair.

For me this was one of the funniest episodes, different strokes and everything, i suppose...

I loved the deliquent parody but the final segment was also hilarious, especially the post-credit bit about seiyuu "if you look half-decent, you're considered hot" which seems to be pretty much true (for males at the very least). Laughing
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

Weirdly, I think one of my favorite parts of this episode was delinquent Totoko just randomly showing up at the end. The show hasn't done much to combine segments like that. I also agree that the School Matsu segment was one of the better AU skits.

Because I was kinda unsure about it, was the final segment supposed to be an AU? I at first assumed it wasn't, but then the brothers went about introducing themselves and I guess Chibita/Iyami didn't act like they really knew them. If so, it was sort of strange since it could have so easily been reworked into a main timeline entry.

irfanf wrote:

What about ep.18 with the Iyami vs Osomatsu part, and ep.13 with the introduction of Fappymatsu?

I was talking specifically about being in theirs head, like narration. (Think Jyushi in ep. 17 or Ichi in ep. 16.) If we're just talking about focus, though, episode 13 has the issue where the focus on Choromatsu is lost pretty quick. Episode 18 had that Osomatsu vs Iyami fight--mostly to showcase that awesome animation--but it isn't really an Oso episode.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
Because I was kinda unsure about it, was the final segment supposed to be an AU? I at first assumed it wasn't, but then the brothers went about introducing themselves and I guess Chibita/Iyami didn't act like they really knew them. If so, it was sort of strange since it could have so easily been reworked into a main timeline entry.

I was unclear on this, too. When Chibita described Iyami as "the star of the Showa era," I assumed it was a nod to the previous shows, particularly the late '80s revival that featured him as the protagonist. This would technically mean that Iyami and Chibita are familiar with the franchise - and therefore familiar with the Matsunos. Still, they acted like this was their first time meeting the boys, so I guess I'll file it under semi-A.U. (Is that even a thing?)

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
Seriously, WHAT MEAT WAS HE USING!
I can't get to sleep at night.

I did consider him using his employees, but that's awfully dark for this show.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
This show ended up going from Shounen to Josei which is makes sense to some degree, i guess, but do the young Japanese women of today know what River City Ransom is? I am personal a fan of Rokudenashi Blues if i can bring up that most forgotten (and usual lame) sub-genre the boys parodied this week.
@MarshalBanana spoiler[Soylent Green Is People!!!]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 15