• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Emblem Fates' Touching Feature Still Present for Married Couples in Western Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
theNightster wrote:
Hansond Jaysond Lee wrote:
don't care
no japanese dub
no money from me

who cares about lack of Japanese dub? it's a game voice acting is less important as long as the gameplay is good.
I think you underestimate how important voice acting is to a game that features it.

no doubt about it. but I still put story and gameplay above voice acting.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
If they kept the mini-game unaltered, people would get upset.

They announced they removed the mini-game, people got upset.

They announced that they didn't remove it entirely and kept it for only married couples, people still are getting upset.

"Damned if they do, damned if they don't" indeed. Not even a middle-ground is enough to stop people from complaining about a game that isn't even released in NA yet.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
You know what? That's fair. This is fair. This is the best middle ground we could reach, with the PC nut jobs on one side and the anti-censorship group on the other. I do wish they had said this up front, though.
Rensie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Change nothing in by book, it only enforce what NoA is and their disgusting moral.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
Even if Nintendo kept everything intact I wasn't going to buy it's just not my cup of tea but I do believe that they shouldn't censor it for people who do want Fire Emblem Fates intact. Wink
Savion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
your sister going full yandere and saying she'll kill you if you cheat on her.

The whole "marriage implies consent" thing does make it seem like its an issue of consent which is a big issue in the US lately where you have to fill out forms before having sex at colleges

Im totally ok with missing out on negliable character insight if it comes from/with incest or incestual undertones. "sister has crush on brother" etc isn't seen as cute or endearing but as a source of squick for the majority of the western audience. (And yes I know the in game ~twist~, still weird)

I googled around looking for colleges with mandatory pre-sex contracts and there are none. Instead I found articles about an advocacy group using "contracts" that came with mints & a condom to spread awareness about consent practices.
rikku45

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
Would love it if troy baker did va in this.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
After having thought this out a bit more, I'm still going to sit out on Fates. Sure, the petting mechanic is still there for married couples, but in the end, I'm still paying for less content with with the mini-game stripped out (well, that and the magic potion scene). Perhaps that won't matter to some that still plan to buy the title, but for myself, buying it would be equivalent to throwing money down the black hole.
Wildikdog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
Wildikdog wrote:
Hansond Jaysond Lee wrote:
don't care
no japanese dub
no money from me

That is a pretty horrible reason to not get a game.

There are many reasons to not buy a game. Why should someone care if Wildikdog says it's a horrible reason, it's up to them at the end of the day.

That is true, there are many reasons to not buying a game, voice acting doesn't tend to be one since you can just mute it. Just saying it's a pretty horrible reason. Especially since it's something of so little importance. I could understand if the game was fully voiced or even half voiced, but Fire Emblem games have few voiced lines (from what I've played). It's almost the equivalent of saying "I'm not buying the game because the box art isn't blue."
razisgosu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
Nintendo your inability to communicate is astounding. This all should have been communicated ages ago like good publishers do. The fact you still can't get your story straight as to how badly you censored this game simply astounds me.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
Well certainly better than nothing. Still a bit annoying, but far better than what they could have done.

Although in the end it doesn't matter as much Smile. Already spent the money allocated to Fates on another game. So will come back to this thing a few months down the road and see how it turned out then.

Too late Nintendo. If you are going to stupidly censor stuff then figure out how to explain that in a time frame that doesn't include the word "weeks."
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
After having thought this out a bit more, I'm still going to sit out on Fates. Sure, the petting mechanic is still there for married couples, but in the end, I'm still paying for less content with with the mini-game stripped out (well, that and the magic potion scene). Perhaps that won't matter to some that still plan to buy the title, but for myself, buying it would be equivalent to throwing money down the black hole.

Well you do you man. But personally I don't understand why you think there's less content in the game. They took out a mini-game about touching a character's face and that automatically counts as enough content that the game has been ruined? I would understand if they reduced the game's story time, removed music, censored all the characters, etc.

Hell- if they censored the Homosexual character options, THAT'S an issue worth protesting about. But, thankfully, they haven't.

But losing a character petting feature in a game about fantasy, adventure, and strategy fighting? That's what ruins the game? Are we that petty of a community!?

Last edited by DigitalScratch on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:

Well you do you man. But personally I don't understand why you think there's less content in the game. They took out a mini-game about touching a character's face and that automatically counts as enough content that the game has been ruined? I would understand if they reduced the game's story time, removed music, censored all the characters, etc.

But losing a character petting feature in a game about fantasy, adventure, and strategy fighting? That's what ruins the game? Are we that petty of a community!?

Well, isn't deriding other peoples opinion of what they consider important in their purchasing decisions quite petty also.

We are not a hive mind. For some people the more Japanese aspects of the game are important, others are more creator centric, some want the standard RPG flavor, and still others may consider other features or aspects to be important.

Still this slow drip of controversy, censorship, and indecision doesn't make the release look all that appealing.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Well, isn't deriding other peoples opinion of what they consider important in their purchasing decisions quite petty also.

We are not a hive mind. For some people the more Japanese aspects of the game are important, others are more creator centric, some want the standard RPG flavor, and still others may consider other features or aspects to be important.

Still this slow drip of controversy, censorship, and indecision doesn't make the release look all that appealing.

Admittedly what I posted was pretty petty, not goanna deny that. The whole argument about the game both online and in real life is starting to really get to me. So sorry about that.

And don't get me wrong, I'm on the stance that those who are really boycotting the game for the removal of the petting feature to be at best the vocal minority and they will always make sure their desires are known.

If they find that feature that important enough, good for them. I'm not going to influence their decision not force them to buy the game. But it shouldn't hurt to have my own opinion about the issue out in the open as well, and frankly I just think it's pretty silly.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
And don't get me wrong, I'm on the stance that those who are really boycotting the game for the removal of the petting feature to be at best the vocal minority and they will always make sure their desires are known.

For the record, the petting mini-game isn't the sole reason why I'm boycotting Fates; it's the fact that it was censored at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3