• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Jan 29-Feb 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#Marc123

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:02 am Reply with quote
It's sad to see that most people dropped Grimgar because of the "3-episode-rule". Episode 4 was really amazing!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
I personally suspect ERASED will drop much lower as time goes on. What I personally know of what happens. It had so much potential, but things rapidly go downhill, which is unfortunate. Some people may enjoy where it goes, but I just found it boring that it decided to spoiler[eschew mystery. Although it makes sense to a degree, the author had somewhat written themselves into a corner, and there was no easy way to bring the story back into the future again otherwise].

Of the rest of the shows, it is sad to see the meteoric downfall of Lupin. And Grimgar seems on the up and up. I also find the pacing and quality of writing of the show a bit too uneven though. I do like it more than the light novel version though. They cut a fair bit out that I found annoying, particularly from the very beginning.

I think we'll see where Erased's prospects are headed in today's episode. I personally think displeasure with the last episode is way overblown. While it was the weakest so far, it was hardly the worst episode of the week, which is reflected in the ratings and ranking, though not in some of the comments. Let's not write it off after one ep.

I believe Showa will make a comeback too, as while the last ep in the rankings was the weakest, the last one aired was one of its strongest.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
I personally suspect ERASED will drop much lower as time goes on. What I personally know of what happens. It had so much potential, but things rapidly go downhill, which is unfortunate. Some people may enjoy where it goes, but I just found it boring that it decided to spoiler[eschew mystery. Although it makes sense to a degree, the author had somewhat written themselves into a corner, and there was no easy way to bring the story back into the future again otherwise].

If it's anything like last episode I'll be dropping it hard, that was like 20 minute of watching a good friend get tortured.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
partially wrote:

If it's anything like last episode I'll be dropping it hard, that was like 20 minute of watching a good friend get tortured.

Please, this is no Gangsta last episode. If the show returns to form and keeps at that previous level, all this will seem to be foolishness, hating, and excessive hype backlash. Let's all just chill and see where this goes before diving for the lifeboats. You're free to drop what you want, but you shouldn't wonder why people look at you quizzically for doing so.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the most recent episode. To the idea they have eschewed mystery, I find it laughable. To the idea that it will all go downhill from here, I say vehemently you are wrong. It now seems clear to me some were just eager to spring on any weakness to try and justify their profound allergy to anything with an ounce of hype. Now the previous episode was admittedly the weakest but it seems to be more a brief trip than a slip down a hill. I was wrong about the precise level of government the suspect was spoiler[city councilman not Representative] but it was still sufficiently high to support my point that he could use his position to cover his tracks.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
The story does improve again. I just don't like where it goes with it. It is still written quite well though, so as I say people may still enjoy it. spoiler[It decides basically to drop mystery in favour of thriller. And it basically becomes a situation where the viewer has more information than the protagonist, which I always just find annoying. There may be some mystery left for the author to pull out. But once the story jumps to the future again the viewer knows most of what is going on, at least in the past.]
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
By the end of the episode, Satoru is at the same place the viewer is. And there is plenty we don't know, even about who did it. We have some names but we don't know their exact role. By the time we go to the past again we probably will know most everything though. You're free to dislike the direction it's going in. I'm not telling you you can't do that. That part wasn't directed at you per se, just the sentiment of some that seemed eager to fiercely criticize it when it was down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2