• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega Sammy Holdings CEO: Live-Action/Animated Sonic the Hedgehog Film in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty worried about the film being a live action/CGI hybrid. Especially since many of those types of films, such as the god awful Smurfs 2011 film, have very negative reviews. I just really hope they know what they're doing.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
I'm assuming they will get Micheal Bay to direct and will have explosions, and have the story focus more on some teenager trying to get laid more then Sonic and crew
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:45 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
On the bright side, they could easily do an adaption of Sonic Adventure/2 and it would work fine as a 3D/Live hybrid.
An hour and a half of fishing sounds like it might work, if they figure out a better way to tie the scenes together than "Froggy got away again!".

But they'd probably screw even that up.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:28 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
So yes, this might just be the worst thing humanity ever creates.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

This is the holy trinity of things that are terrible. I mean, imagine if you will the following scenario: Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel...except they're all one thing.

One of these things is not like the other and one of them seems like desperate reaching.
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
With Danny DeVito as Dr Eggman...
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Part of me wants to see it. The other part of me isn't completely insane.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I find it somewhat weird that, after someone from Sony Pictures said they want to make a Super Mario movie, now we have someone who wants Sony Pictures to make a Sonic movie.

I wonder what's next. Bubsy?

Fenrin wrote:
Aren't those hybrid films supposed to be a thing of the past? I remember that style in too many crappy kids movies of the 90's, but if someone has a good example of this that I don't know of please inform me.

They're still going strong with adaptations of kids' cartoons, most notable with the Alvin and the Chipmunks movies. I would've said the same of the Smurfs movies, but The Smurfs 2 bombed.

As far as something other than hyper-realistic CGI, the last big Hollywood attempt, Looney Tunes: Back in Action, also bombed. I don't think this was due to its nature as an intentional-looking hybrid live-action/cartoon movie, but due to Looney Tunes no longer being relevant with kids.

epicwizard wrote:
I'm pretty worried about the film being a live action/CGI hybrid. Especially since many of those types of films, such as the god awful Smurfs 2011 film, have very negative reviews. I just really hope they know what they're doing.

The first Smurfs movie made back its budget fivefold and had a flood of merchandise behind it that the kids were absolutely eating up. For a children's movie like The Smurfs, the revenue from merchandise is usually equal to or exceeds the box office. With such prominent merchandising, I would bet that money earned from The Smurfs, between box office, home video, rentals, and merchandise, is well over US$1 billion.

Just because adults don't like something doesn't mean kids won't either. Kids have different tastes.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Of all the innumerable words with which commentators have lamented the state of this franchise and its miscues, none are quite as trenchant as the following three and a half: Strange, Isn't It?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The first Smurfs movie made back its budget fivefold and had a flood of merchandise behind it that the kids were absolutely eating up. For a children's movie like The Smurfs, the revenue from merchandise is usually equal to or exceeds the box office. With such prominent merchandising, I would bet that money earned from The Smurfs, between box office, home video, rentals, and merchandise, is well over US$1 billion.

Just because adults don't like something doesn't mean kids won't either. Kids have different tastes.

Yes, I'm already aware that the first Smurfs film did very well at the box office and milked plenty of merchandise. I was just saying that its overall reception was very negative.

Nonetheless, I agree with you that kids have different tastes on things than adults.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Live action Sonic movie? Just give a Razzie to it immediately upon announcement.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Aren't those hybrid films supposed to be a thing of the past? I remember that style in too many crappy kids movies of the 90's, but if someone has a good example of this that I don't know of please inform me.

Does "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" count?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2