• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online: What makes it SEEM so bad?

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
My point is, guys, that Sachi didn't fall in love with him and she should not be considered a harem member like other people claim she is. Rolling Eyes

Vaisaga wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
But in the novel, he quotes "If there's anything I can say, it's that there was no romance between the two of us."

... And you actually believe him. How adorable Razz

There's no reason not to!
Night fox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
^ Why was the answer given in that interview so vague though? "Someone in that arc, I guess..."

It's like he didn't want to disappoint the fans who were shipping Kirito and Sachi. Wink
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
It's like he didn't want to disappoint the fans who were shipping Kirito and Sachi.

If that is true I would consider it to be a good thing.

This is just entertainment, and if I want to believe that one fictional character has a fictional romance with another fictional character what is wrong with that?
Of course, if I go into a forum and insist that my interpretation is "the one and only truth", I guess that is a bit different.

Having said that I will add that I have finally seen the entire first season of Sword Art Online and I am not seeing any romance between Kirito and Sachi. They definitely do like and care about each other, but it seems platonic to me.
But, that is just how it seems to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
[
Of course, if I go into a forum and insist that my interpretation is "the one and only truth", I guess that is a bit different.

Yes, that's what makes all the difference in the world.

I also see Sachi and Kirito as entirely platonic, like I said, I always did. But for how hard he took her death in the novel, I can accept that he had a thing for her. And I prefer that far more than the other way around, which we already saw too much of. lol
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
My point is, guys, that Sachi didn't fall in love with him and she should not be considered a harem member like other people claim she is. Rolling Eyes

Vaisaga wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
But in the novel, he quotes "If there's anything I can say, it's that there was no romance between the two of us."

... And you actually believe him. How adorable Razz

There's no reason not to!

The other place to look for information about Kirito and Sachi's relationship would be the short story "The Day After". It came with the final DVD of the first SAO series in Japan. Sadly the English release did not license any of those stories, and it's among the many short stories that have yet to be compiled in a volume for SAO. So it'll be a while before we get anything other than fan translations of it.
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I think what I'm most inclined to believe with Kirito and Sachi's relationship is that they both liked each other romantically but didn't get together before spoiler[Sachi died]. Sachi was afraid of dying and she believed she was going to die and I think that fear could have kept her from getting together with Kirito because she knew Kirito was strong and could survive, but would take his own life if he lost someone he loved so muchspoiler[ and Kirito very nearly did die because of her death and if they had been closer he might have committed suicide].

While I don't necessarily agree with this reasoning in general I do think it is most likely what their relationship was.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I am inclined to agree with Lobokendo's interpretation on this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I don't think Sachi had those feelings for him is because she never blushed or went doki-doki over him. Kawahara made it a point to describe both Liz and Silica feeling that way in text so I think if Sachi felt the same, he would have told us this in text as well.

I am now reading SAO: Progressive volume 01. Lots of new material. This is a fun read as well. There are even new characters, the first being Argo the Rat. She's a crafty little information broker, like Izaya from Durarara. Except she charges you for it. Anime hyper
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
Technically the information broker was in the Sachi episode, weren't they? They were the one who gave Kirito the info on the christmas boss. Also, Izaya DOES charge people for information but usually what we see him do is manipulate people.

As for the difference between Sachi and Silica/Lisbeth. I haven't really looked into the fine details of Sachi's specific body reactions around Kirito, but I don't think its too far of a stretch to suggest she was hiding her feelings from Kirito. Kirito was not aware that they liked each other, but Sachi was. She intentionally hid her feelings from him and because the novel is written in a first person perspective of Kirito, it would make sense that no signs of feelings were noted.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
Lobokendo wrote:
Technically the information broker was in the Sachi episode, weren't they? They were the one who gave Kirito the info on the christmas boss. Also, Izaya DOES charge people for information but usually what we see him do is manipulate people.

Yes, Argo did appear briefly in ep 3 of the first season, although I don't believe she was ever named. The anime also never makes clear (in ep 2) that Argo is responsible for the free Player Guides, or that Kirito is one of the key players feeding her info for the guides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
Argo's in episode 03, huh? I'll have to look for her. lol

Progressive continues to be entertaining. It's funny how intimidated Kirito is by Asuna but at the same time really admires her and likes to be challenged by her.

Speaking of which, he loses a challenge to her so he has to buy her an expensive cake. Lol I would have liked to see that in the anime.

Lobokendo wrote:
Kirito was not aware that they liked each other, but Sachi was.

But it doesn't say that in the canon novels so I wouldn't just assume she liked him that way.

If she did, Kawahara would have put a hint somewhere. Yes, you can hide feelings to a certain extent...but when it comes to body language, not so much (especially blushing). Also, when he talks about the other girls admiring Kirito in the afterword, the way he admires gamers, he doesn't mention Sachi anywhere. The first volume is in Kirito's perspective as well, but it's easy to tell that Asuna was in love with him.
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't think just because it isn't stated in black and white doesn't mean it isn't true. The reason that Sachi wasn't mentioned later as someone who liked Kirito is probably because she doesn't have a continuing purpose in the story. We can just agree to disagree, but I see no evidence suggesting that they weren't in love with each other because at the very least the evidence does suggest they were closer than "friends".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15