• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Historical anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
There's also Japanese-Chinese coproduction that had never been translated in any form.

I remember that one. I waited in vain for over a year for a fansub group to translate it before finally giving up. From what screenshots I saw it looked very nice, the show obviously had a respectable budget behind it. Pity that no-one thought to sub it either legally or otherwise.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
It's not a historical anime but since there is not a lot of such shows, you may be interested in Drak Myth. It takes place in modern Japan and it is an utterly awful horror but it has a single redeeming feature - it uses Japanese legends and myths, so it may be worth watching provided that you are interested in Japanese mythology.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
Mazanpi-Enduva wrote:
As stated, I'm looking for some decent Japanese-history-based anime (With little to no fantasy influence), preferrably with a setting before the Muromachi Period (from Kamakura to even Jomon), though anything about Tokugawa Ieyasu would be fairly nice as well.

Unfortunately, just about everything is heavily influenced by fantasy, although to be fair, a lot of Japanese history is merged with mythology in a way that it is not in the west.

House of Five Leaves is both really good, and has no fantasy elements to it, which makes it the best choice.
Otogi Zoshi is also really good, but it helps if you know the history behind it, and there is a fair amount of mythology in it.
Tenpouibun Ayakashiayashi is one of my favorites, there is a lot of fantasy to it, but it deals with issues of women in society, immigration, and changing role of tradition as Japan moves closer to modernization.
In a similar vein, there is Zakuro, heavy fantasy, but it centers around the societal conflicts caused by Japan's headlong rush into Westernization.
And last but not least, there is Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran, one of the best ronin anime out there. There is no fantasy in it, but there isn't much history in it either, other than the setting.

//Samurai Champloo is so anachronistic that I assume it doesn't meet your requirements
///Own all of those titles except Zakuro, which reminds me, I need to go order that.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Looking back, I found myself really enjoying Gosick due to how it revealed the 'true science' behind it oddities and uncanny events that went on. Sure, it may have fell flat in a few areas, but I enjoyed it so much that I would honestly be willing to give another show a shot if it focused on a historical context (even if the country is fictional or not) and was not a supernatural show. I've got no problem even if the show isn't a "Reveal the magician's secrets!" sort of thing. The closest things I can probably think of is Rurouni Kenshin & Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth, both of which I have yet to read/watch due to digital availability.

Can anyone recommend me a historical anime without supernatural elements involved (the upcoming Arslan anime for example).
Thanks in advance!
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:06 am Reply with quote
Perhaps recommending it as "historical" is a bit of a stretch, but given that you don't mind fictional countries, then you might like The Story of Saiunkoku. It's loosely based on Ancient China (the word Saiunkoku literally means "country of clouds"), and as far as I can remember from reading the manga, it has no supernatural elements. It does have historically realistic aspects like the exams to become a government official. Plus the female lead is one of my favourite female leads ever.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Just finishing up the 2015 "updates" for the recommendation threads. So, since it is now (early) 2016, did 2015 present any good historical anime?
shukujo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
as far as I can remember, the only historical anime of any note in 2015 was the anime adaptation of the Samurai Warriors video game, which relates the events of the Warring States period in Japan. However, I don't believe it was what one would describe as "good" anime.

I skimmed through this thread, and I didn't see any mention of Shigurui: Death Frenzy - I'd definitely give that a try, although this is is technically a period drama set in the samurai era, and does not actually relate an actual historical event.

Also, there is a movie loosely about the famous Japanese artist Hokusai: Miss Hokusai

Samurai Deeper Kyo is set during the Battle of Sekigahara.

Basilisk is Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, retold as a ninja war story - the tagline for the series is, "My Beloved, please die," - so I'm sure you can guess how the story ends, but what you probably wouldn't guess from that is all the weird and fantastical ninja skills you'll get to see in action if you watch it. Action being the key word in that sentence there, that is....

Zipang is about a modern battleship, in the present, that slips through time into the past and ends up smack dab in the middle of the Battle of Midway, which is considered by most to be "the turning point" in the Pacific Theatre for World War II's naval battles. Japan lost about 3,000 sailors & pilots to America's approx. 300 KIAs, & lost 4 air carriers at Midway, a loss from which the Imperial Navy never recovered. The series explores the question of "what if we could change the outcome of WWII?" for those on board the modern ship.

Nobunaga Concerto is another time-travelling romp, only this time, the hapless and totally normal high school student Saburou falls off a fence - and into the role of the "Demon" Warlord, Nobunaga Oda. So, yeah, for the most part, it's a comedy. There are some truly hysterical interpretations of historically significant people in this series (*cough* Ieyasu Tokugawa).

It's disappointing that the ANN reviewer had such disdain for this series, because her opinion is most definitely not what I have found to be in the majority - I know many people who simply couldn't wait to see the next episode when it was airing, and if you look at the forum posts in response to the ANN reviewer's bad ratings, you'll see many people there that agree with me. Then again, animation style/movement isn't enough to deter me from a really entertaining story, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Also, there is a live-action series adaptation for this title, too - and it's quite good. The live-action has a lot of comedy, but also has some seriously tear-jerking and dramatic moments as well, so it's definitely worth a watch.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Giovanni's Island although not from before the Muromachi period (which is pretty much ancient Japanese history) it is a very realistic and serious approach to the Soviet occupation of former Japanese teritories. I found myself very impressed by its portrayal of a little know historical event (that parts of Japan's territories were under Russian occupation ).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2