• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Assassination Classroom (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Koro-sensei is such an inspiration at times Laughing

I liked the episode as well but it doesn't sit well with me for everyone to find it unremarkable that a kid to takes a job to support his sick surviving parent should be punished for doing so. Not one line about how unfair that is.

It's one thing to insist that poor people shouldn't be helped or given special consideration lest you create a culture of dependency. This is one step rightward of that -- keeping them from helping themselves.

Having said that I would rather be anyone in Class E than Asano. I had at one point thought that the Principal/dearolddad might be a bit too tough love but still committed to education but that last demonstration blew that idea away. The guy is just a Darwinian atavism and should be expunged.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
"I don't do underhanded things like you."
Except for the blackmail, challenging a smaller group, and getting people with clearly and unfairly superior physical strength.

Every so often it becomes so clear the difference between Koro-sensei and the director. I guess it at the least comes down to the whole Koro-sensei wants his students to do better to beat him, while the director wants to control everyone around him. One side here fought with a mantra of physically strong leader and superior power and numbers to overpower the opponent, something like from the history books in doing war. While the other fought with something other than fear for their leader and use the techniques from the history books where smaller forces could overcome stronger. It is not just a battle of students, it is battle between the teaching methods.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:52 am Reply with quote
Isogai part-time job.
Of course he got busted by Asano & the creeps.
Pole topping stand off.
Koro sensei was so proud of his students ^^
Asano was doing everything he could to win.
spoiler[It was very satisfying to see Asano's team lose!!
]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 6:

Sakura's cute when she smiles at that nursery school. Glad to see that she connected with Nagisa after he encouraged her to study.

I have to admit that Koro-sensei looks quite scary when he's angry though. Like seriously...don't make him angry. Glad to see that the kids from his class were able to learn the lesson he was trying to teach them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The community service arc. One of the arcs strongest on conveying a specific message to readers (education isn't all about getting exam grades). Plenty of laughs in addition to seeing Koro-Sensei get into one of his rare black moods; the bit where he narrated the improvements made by the class during their 2-week stint got me into quite a few fits of laughter.

This is also the arc which moves the storyline forward significantly, the final pick previewing what turns up next week is one of the most important of the series and it should be a treat to watch.

Karasuma and Irina start looking more and more like teachers in a regular class rather than their actual occupations, another nice touch being conveyed as the academic year rolls along and the students running out of time to form some kind of assassination plan against their seemingly invincible homeroom teacher.
mierin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I had a really good laugh at Koro Sensei narrating the improvements the students did on that building.

It's actually taken from a Japanese home renovation TV program called Before and After. He even got the narration style down perfectly Laughing I don't know if they still air that show in Japan, but I love that show.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
mierin wrote:
I had a really good laugh at Koro Sensei narrating the improvements the students did on that building.

It's actually taken from a Japanese home renovation TV program called Before and After. He even got the narration style down perfectly Laughing I don't know if they still air that show in Japan, but I love that show.

Since viewers got their fill of what "before" looked like for the orphanage, it saves on time and the animator budget while the focus remains on the absolutely hilarious narration.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:47 am Reply with quote
One detail to take notice is that while the other students from the other classes were laughing at how E class did, Asano looked full on pissed. No doubt the fact that Class E did a lot less than what they should be able to, and one of them doing pretty much what they should, was not lost on him and instead looked like one big insult to his own pride.

And really it may not have been "academic", but the kids all learned a valuable lesson, and arguably in both team work and being able to act independently. And they did do something good. Some lessons are learned outside of the classroom.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
No doubt the fact that Class E did a lot less than what they should be able to, and one of them doing pretty much what they should, was not lost on him and instead looked like one big insult to his own pride.

For good reason and it is what Karma drove home. For a Japanese person it would be seen as an infuriating sign of contempt to be seen as not worthy of putting out the effort to beat. To top it off he knows perfectly well that dear old dad isn't going to give him any credit for being #1 under these circumstances.

Actually, I have started feeling bad for Asano. I have to suspect that he isn't being a colossal dick out of his own choice.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 7:

Good episode.

Glad to see that they are keeping Irina/bitch sensei relevant this arc. In fact, I'm happy to see that she's getting quite a bit of screen time this season so far even though it's not even 1/3 of the way yet.

The Reaper really is a trick pony imo as the kids never really know what he's up to. Irina also shows her true colors this episode as well. I was hoping Itona would odd things out but oh well...

Should be fun to see Koro-sensei getting involved in this next time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Death God arc, YES!

I wonder how many viewers unfamiliar with the source material would have ever guessed that the flower seller was the super assassin Lovro talked about in season 1 (and who was responsible for taking out Lovro in episode 1 of this season).

Several grades higher than Takaoka, it's now up to Karasuma and Koro-Sensei to bail the students out. The latter's the target so it remains to be seen what the super-assassin has planned for him, but Karasuma is no slouch and a confrontation between the two is something to look forward to.

Short, funny scene featuring Risu's phone avatar getting hacked by the assassin, fortunately the main body sitting in the classroom should be unaffected otherwise Karasuma and Koro-Sensei might not have found the location despite the latter's claims.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I wonder how many viewers unfamiliar with the source material would have ever guessed that the flower seller was the super assassin Lovro talked about in season 1 (and who was responsible for taking out Lovro in episode 1 of this season).

I didn't guess last week because he was onscreen for like 5 seconds. As soon as he "coincidentally" showed up this week, that was the first thing I thought. It seemed like Karma's spidey senses were tingling too, although I guess he was convinced that what he was sensing was avarice rather than bloodlust. Even so, I liked the way he waltzed into their classroom as if he belonged there.

While the scene was funny, I was still disappointed that Risu got hacked, even if only her app and not her mainframe. Isn't she a military grade AI?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

While the scene was funny, I was still disappointed that Risu got hacked, even if only her app and not her mainframe. Isn't she a military grade AI?

Military grade AI hacking consumer-level smartphones with pre-Snowden levels of encryption and anti-virus.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 8:

Great episode this week. We got background story about Irina and how she became an assassin. Then, there's the whole drama and conflict with the God of Death. I'm glad Irina was able to overcome her personal demons and differences at the end and accept that flower though. What a beautiful moment it was!

Now I got more respect for Irina now. And hopefully, she can become stronger person from now on too.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Koro-Sensei's anti-cage trick is as funny as it is futile.

The duel between Karasuma and the Shinigami should meet most expectations, this is only the second time viewers see how amazing Karasuma is but being nearly impervious to IEDs is quite the trick to have as a mere physical education instructor for secondary school students. The hand-to-hand combat was nicely animated as well before the final denouement featuring the trick which did for Lovro in the first episode.

Karasuma might be the professional's professional, but it's here that viewers find out he's still human on the inside.

The foreshadowing at the end featuring the "Final Assassination Plan" is something I'm looking forward to especially with the source material being where it's at right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 19