• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Emblem Fates' Touching Feature Still Present for Married Couples in Western Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote
It seems like America removed a lot of the cosmetic options too, which includes swimsuits

Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
Ohh, man... At this point, one may very well call the game "Fire Emblem Censored" now that virtually all the content has been either watered down or wiped out completely.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Ohh, man... At this point, one may very well call the game "Fire Emblem Censored" now that virtually all the content has been either watered down or wiped out completely.

I can get behind why you'd boycott the game because of censorship, but Fates really is a great game (I played it in Japanese and enjoyed everything, including the cut content). If a ton of people boycotted the game because of the cut content, know that it won't likely result in the localization team thinking, "The sales are low because of cut content." It'll likely result in the marketing team thinking, "The sales are low because people just aren't into this kind of game." Even if the localization team is aware of the effect on sales, they're doing their job.

Also, if you bought Awakening and enjoyed it, then I assume you'll still enjoy Fates. Awakening had a LOT of altered character personalities and stories and supports. Fates is being treated the same way. And the reality is... it makes sense to do it that way. Awakening's localization had its flaws (mainly consistency in the re-writing of some parts), but the characters were far more "interesting" to a Western audience than they were in the Japanese version (I played both). Only a few characters suffered as a result (Serena/Severa... mostly... Tsundere does not translate well in English...).

I respect whatever you choose, of course. It may be that you care about this more for yourself and you don't really care how the marketing/localization team interprets your lost sale. Just know that if you're hoping you're making a contribution to localization in video games by foregoing a purchase, you're not doing much for the cause. A much better idea would be, in this case, to buy the game, experience its pros and cons, and then voice your opinions--hopefully alongside many like-minded fans--so that they care about your views. A lot of people think that if you buy it, you approve of everything and they'll continue to make stuff in the same way. If your opinion isn't popular, then you might be right, but if you and many fans share the same opinion, then you can expect change. They DO listen to fans. This localization team, in particular, seems very familiar with the fanbase, even if it seems like they go against many of their wishes at times or don't update the fans on content change until way later. There are usually deeper reasons behind those things.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
Savion wrote:
"sister has crush on brother" etc isn't seen as cute or endearing but as a source of squick for the majority of the western audiencee

Considering all the Gravity Falls, Frozen, and Ben 10 incest supporters I think it's more appealing than you might think in America.

Quote:
I googled around looking for colleges with mandatory pre-sex contracts and there are none. Instead I found articles about an advocacy group using "contracts" that came with mints & a condom to spread awareness about consent practices.

I never said it was mandatory just that consent is a big hot button issue to the point we have stuff like that which could factor into their decision.

-Stuart Smith
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
.....If a ton of people boycotted the game because of the cut content, know that it won't likely result in the localization team thinking, "The sales are low because of cut content." It'll likely result in the marketing team thinking, "The sales are low because people just aren't into this kind of game." Even if the localization team is aware of the effect on sales, they're doing their job.....

When this much censoring, localization, and editing is done, it is not for the fans, but rather the company trying to reach the mass market, by watering the product down, and censorsing and editing it for the common western masses. Personally, I don't think it matters much whether the fans buy it or boycott it as they are not the target audience.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Also, if you bought Awakening and enjoyed it, then I assume you'll still enjoy Fates. Awakening had a LOT of altered character personalities and stories and supports. Fates is being treated the same way.

Having known that Fire Emblem has been under the censorship mill since its very first game that was debuted in the U.S., I'm not at all surprised by that.

Quote:
And the reality is... it makes sense to do it that way.

Perhaps that was so in the past. Now the reality is that all these arbitrary changes are proving to be detrimental to the franchise.

Quote:
I respect whatever you choose, of course. It may be that you care about this more for yourself and you don't really care how the marketing/localization team interprets your lost sale.

Precisely. The burden of understanding why low sales happen is on the marketing/ localization team themselves, not the customer.

Quote:
Just know that if you're hoping you're making a contribution to localization in video games by foregoing a purchase, you're not doing much for the cause. A much better idea would be, in this case, to buy the game, experience its pros and cons, and then voice your opinions--hopefully alongside many like-minded fans--so that they care about your views. A lot of people think that if you buy it, you approve of everything and they'll continue to make stuff in the same way.

In other words, you're saying that I should waste $80+ to buy a game that has 25-30% of the content stripped out and then play through all of it so that my grievances would be considered valid? I'm sorry to say, but, with all due respect, this is clearly an insult to my intelligence to the highest degree and I don't approve of it. I thought you respected my choice of not buying Fates? It seems that I was wrong. Confused

Quote:
If your opinion isn't popular, then you might be right, but if you and many fans share the same opinion, then you can expect change. They DO listen to fans.

Well, based on NoA's fiasco of Fates and their refusal to acknowledge their customers' efforts of bringing their grievances to their attention, it's pretty obvious that they don't, or else they would have taken heed of this petition, which has nearly 7,700 signatures, to have the game debuted uncensored ages ago.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
It seems like America removed a lot of the cosmetic options too, which includes swimsuits

I don't know if I'd call that censoring since neither is any less risqué than the other. Also the NOA pic doesn't really confirm outright if those swimsuits were removed or not though it's a given that the shell swimsuit would be removed.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
The poster did say they removed the swimsuits. Also I find it hard to believe that you consider a full length towel (that covers everything) to be just as risque as a two piece bikini.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The poster did say they removed the swimsuits. Also I find it hard to believe that you consider a full length towel (that covers everything) to be just as risque as a two piece bikini.

Considering that towels are often used to cover up the naked parts of a person's body and the fact this attire clearly exists for no other reason than blantant fanservice it's a fair and reasonable observation.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Considering that towels are often used to cover up the naked parts of a person's body and the fact this attire clearly exists for no other reason than blantant fanservice it's a fair and reasonable observation.

A towel is used to cover skin, (along with whisking water away). A two piece bikini is used to reveal skin, and to further accentuate the form of the opposite sex.

Though if used in certain ways, towels could also show more skin, but in the two comparison shots it is not. The towel and two piece bikini are day and night.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

A towel is used to cover skin, (along with whisking water away). A two piece bikini is used to reveal skin, and to further accentuate the form of the opposite sex.

Though if used in certain ways, towels could also show more skin, but in the two comparison shots it is not. The towel and two piece bikini are day and night.

Day and night to you maybe but filling the same niche to me and everyone else.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
It seems like they did tone down the incest in the American version. Camilla's S support was uploaded onto YouTube. They changed her wanting to bathe with Kamui to going on a vacation trip, and added in a bunch of lines reminding everyone they're not blood related. There's even an awkward line about how they are two able-minded consenting adults making their own decisions willingly and the more logical approach to view their situation is that they are childhood friends and not siblings. In the original she pretty much teases him all the time about being siblings and how she wants her brother to also be her husband. They don't refer to each other as brother and sister in the dub either, just their first names. They didn't censor the option out, but they went all out to rewrite and tone it down it looks like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3