• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Promotes Star Trek Manga With Signings

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Arrrgh. You might as well cover the new Star Trek comics from IDW publishing. They are just about as 'manga' as this book is. Ugh.

The thing is I used to get Star Trek comics, back when they were at DC and even that short time at Paramount comics through Marvel. Heck, I would get Star Trek comics now, but I'm alreadying getting too many comics, both Japanese (manga) and American. I even get the occasional European and Korean. Yesterday I even saw a South American comic I keep meaning to pick up.

So I'm a manga fan and have been a Star Trek fan before that and I'm not too interested. So who is this marketed at? I doubt most non-Trek manga fans are going to jump aboard Star Trek this way. Am I wrong?
Ensign Mallory

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Hell, I didn't even know there was a Star Trek manga and now that I do, bleaaaagh..... I really wasn't able to get in to any of the past comic incarnations coz the art work just didn't grab me so i doubt if i can get on board with a manga any.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:12 am Reply with quote
There was an awesome series when Marvel was making Paramount Comics. It was Star Trek Early Voyages. It followed the crew before Kirk, the Captain Pike crew from the pilot episode The Cage. I really like that one. Though I also got some TNG comics from when DC had the license before that.

Now we have both TokyoPop and IDW Publishing cranking out Star Trek comics. Interesting. Of course we also have that supposed reboot from JJ Abrams going to theaters.

Man, it's so hilariously dumb that they slap some kanji and Romanji (the English phonetics) on the cover. Like that's supposed to make it more Japanese. What a joke.
Ensign Mallory

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:20 am Reply with quote
I'm totally open to the upcoming movie project, especially since they've tapped Gabriel Gray. I loath his Heroes character so much I'd like to see him in the Trek universe and give somebody a neck grip!

I've just seen the books and I'm like, why do they always have to do Kirk and Co.? And they wonder why folk have lost interest in the franchise. For a supposed universe, it sure lacks a great deal of imagination.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, why can't they do more stories about the spinoffs? I loved Picard!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ensign Mallory

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote
Picard and crew were totally hot! But they've all moved on to bigger and better things now so a new crew on the Enterprise E, F or G would be really nice! I mean, since were dealing with a future society anyways lets take another 100 or so years ahead to see where things stand i say.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
So I'm a manga fan and have been a Star Trek fan before that and I'm not too interested. So who is this marketed at? I doubt most non-Trek manga fans are going to jump aboard Star Trek this way. Am I wrong?
I suppose they figure a large portion of manga/anime fans are also Star Trek fans, and hoping that a good chunk of those people will pick this up.

Me? I flipped through the first volume at the store one day. One of the stories was fairly good, the other was bleah!. I only read two of them so I can't speak for the rest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Falcon5768

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
There where a few good stories in it. One in particular (basically yet another version of the birth of the Borg) was far fetched but very well written. Basically puts Kirk and crew as the genesis of the Borg through a accidental time rift (one poor thing about the whole story as I have come to loath Star Treks constant time stories)

The Kirk and crew VS child piloted mobile suits actually worked very well, if somewhat of a rip-off of original TOS stories involving children like Miri and And the Children Shall Lead (which tended to be the poorer of the original series episodes)

I am particularly interested in Wheatons story, as he has some inside knowlage of the mechanics of TNG, and also is highly critical of some of the episodes he was in while also keeping a very close relationship with Gene's family to this day, in particular his son who was also highly critical of what became of Star Trek.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1