• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket Another

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
Hi there! Celebrating the release of the sequel to Fruits Basket, I'd like to discuss the story of Fruits Basket Another for those who are able to talk about it so far. I stumbled onto the original Fruits Basket some years ago and it is one of my favorite series to say, so it goes without saying that I was glad to hear about this sequel.

If you are able to read Japanese, or if you want to just look at the pictures so far, then you can find it at the Fruits Basket Another page through Hanayume Online's website. So far there have been 4 official chapters and one supplementary chapter out.

So far from what I have read the series follows the protagonist, Sawa Mitoma as she is going through high school. She spoiler[seems to be unsure of herself and may possibly have had a traumatic experience in the past, as she is also not really wanting to interact with people that much. She ends up meeting two boys from the Sohma clan from the first series. Mutsuki is a second year student and is the student vice president. He seems to have the looks like Yuki but personality wise he is quite the opposite. Then you have Hajime who is a third year and the student president. He looks like Kyo and seems to have a personality similar to him, but not so uptight like Kyo.]

So how does Sawa spoiler[get tied to these two? She ends up stepping on Hajime's face, which seems to bring back her trauma from the past. But Mutsuki in all this decides that Sawa should join the student council. So from there we have to see what will happen to Sawa as she begins her new student life on the council. And on a side note, Hajime and Mutsuki seem to be well aware of the Zodiac curse that was on the Sohma clan.]

And two familiar characters are back from the original series. Where these characters are now gives you an idea how much time has passed between the original Fruits Basket series and the now serialized Another. The two characters are spoiler[Makoto Takei and Megumi Hanajima are teachers where Sawa, Hajime, and Mutsuki are students. Takei adores Mutsuki and will listen to whatever he asks of him. And Hanajima offered to curse Takei if he was too rough on Sawa. That being said it's been at least ten years between series in my opinion.]

Looking forward to being able to discuss this series in more depth with people later on. Happy reading.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I'd forgotten that this was even a thing. It seemed to me when I first heard about it, that they were just slapping the Fruits Basket name on a series and having cameo appearances from the original characters so they could justify doing so and cash in on the original's popularity.

How do you think it compares to the original series then, given that you've read it? Is the curse a big thing in this series, like the original or not so much?
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
To be honest, I'd forgotten that this was even a thing. It seemed to me when I first heard about it, that they were just slapping the Fruits Basket name on a series and having cameo appearances from the original characters so they could justify doing so and cash in on the original's popularity.

How do you think it compares to the original series then, given that you've read it? Is the curse a big thing in this series, like the original or not so much?

Well as I mentioned in the above post, there are some characters back. However the newer characters are tied to the Sohma clan, and they spoiler[are apparently aware of the Zodiac curse that was the major plot point of the original series. In a way I don't think the curse has to have that much of a tie-in] but it should be interesting to see how Takaya takes this further. This can easily be seen as spoiler[between the part where Tohru and Kyo left and then to when we saw their granddaughter.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
I have just read Fruits Basket Another out of interest. The main character and Hajime don’t really interest me. Mutsuki is the only character that I am curious about. His behaviour reminds me of Shigure, maybe it’s his son?
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
I have just read Fruits Basket Another out of interest. The main character and Hajime don’t really interest me. Mutsuki is the only character that I am curious about. His behaviour reminds me of Shigure, maybe it’s his son?

Well from today's chapter we had the new character Michi come into the frame. Turns out that her full name is Michi spoiler[Manabe]. And Mutsuki explains that she is spoiler[his mother's older brother's daughter, making them cousins. Couple that with her name, and the fact that they are cousins,] leaves me with only one conclusion that she is spoiler[Kakeru Manabe's daughter and that Mutsuki is Machi Kuragi's son.] And if the canon story goes according to the end of the original Fruits Basket, then Mutsukispoiler[ is also Yuki Sohma's son] as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1