• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Dubs Only Made in L.A. and Texas?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:02 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Australian anime are dubs are literally non-existent. And on the topic of Madman doing dubs for Australian audiences in the future, Sly has flat out said on several occasions 'No'.
Simply put, if there's a title worth dubbing there's probably also a company in the US who's either gotten on it already or at the very least plan to at some point in the very near future.

Even Free! Eternal Summer episode 12 (set in Australia) used less Australian actors than Disney's Finding Nemo (which used at least 5 Australians).
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

Last I heard, Brad Swaile was doing more video games and Barbie movies.

Dear Lord. Brad Swaile in Barbie movies. Please go Kira on the entire cast, okay Brad?
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
What about Canada where the Gundam and pretty much all the anime dubs we got in the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's were done?
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
I wasn't as into anime during the period where a lot of these fallen studios were around but it is kind of crazy looking back and seeing how many there were.

Personally I lean towards California dubs since that's where most of my favorite VAs are and the Animaze stuff I've seen is easily the cream of the crop and the void since their demise hasn't really been filled. There's been some stuff from Studiopolis I've really dug though like Sailor Moon, K and Tiger & Bunny with the latter still easily being my favorite English dub of the last 5 years. As for Bang Zoom I found them to be pretty inconsistent for a long while (for every Fate/Zero there was a Nura or Magi that was all over the place) but ever since they started adding more ADR Directors they've been way more on the ball and some of their recent efforts like Toradora, Jojo's and A Lull in the Sea were fantastic.

When it comes to Funimation I find they're still generally the most consistent these days and even if I'm not impressed with everything they put out their general standard is still pretty solid. Although in recent years some of their issues regulating overly liberal script writing has started to hinder some of their work (with the Prison School fiasco and a lot of J. Micheal Tatum stuff being the most glaring examples) but it still only affects a portion of what they put out and I've enjoyed a few of their recent works like Tokyo Ghoul and Yurikuma.

Sentai on the other hand is still the most inconsistent of the bunch but they've gotten better. Ever since Steven Foster left their low-end stuff hasn't been nearly as bad and they've put out some good stuff like From the New World, Watamote and most recently Parasyte. I do kinda wish they'd get more regular ADR Directors on board though since Kyle Jones and Chris Ayres seem to do the bul k of everything and the quality of their stuff is all over the place as a result. Blue Water is still the worst though. Their stuff's gotten a bit more tolerable in recent years but still pretty low-end and it just makes me pine for Ocean even though they weren't all that consistent either outside of Death Note and Black Lagoon. Still as a whole anime dubs are still chugging along pretty fine and I can usually find a few standouts every year.

On a side note I do kinda wish NYAV would get more work but I guess the Kickstarter dubs they've been doing will have to suffice.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Also, where was the Professor Layton movie dubbed? US or UK?

It was dubbed by Side UK, who had previously dubbed the games (and Ni no Kuni).

The narration for the documentary-style anime Musashi was also dubbed somewhere in London. The only other "recent" UK dub other than Arrietty was Millennium Actress (by Village Productions, who seem to disappeared sometime in the last 10 years; the last related company was liquidated two years ago).

All other UK-produced dubs (e.g. GitS Innocence, Welcome to the Space Show, Patema and Mai Mai Miracle) in recent years have been dubbed in the US (mostly by NYAV post, with the earlier Innocence dub going to Richard Epcar's company in LA)

Jimshew2 wrote:
Another firm that got left out is "Cartoon Saloon" (an animation studio based in Kilkenny, Ireland) which produced both Tomm Moore's "Brandon and the Secret of Kells" (2009) and "Song of the Sea" (2014).

..but have they dubbed any anime?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know which company did the English dub of Anne of Green Gables that aired on JET TV in Asia back around 1998? The VAs actually sounded Canadian to me.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't like that people say Black Lagoon and Death Note are the only outright good dubs Ocean Group has ever done. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Gundam 00, and I think I heard nice things about Inuyasha: The Final Act.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Justin isn't really correct in saying Ocean's gone. Blue Water is their sister studio and many of their recent projects share talent from both regions. That's why you can hear Andrew Francis and some other Vancouver voice actors in the World Trigger trailer. The joint productions usually credit both studios:
http://i.imgur.com/iURHVO9.png
http://i.imgur.com/tU4YjWw.png

That's from LBX's second season, which premiered last fall on Nicktoons.

I can't comment on the DVD release, but I skimmed through the first few episodes on Funimation's website and there's a good reason the encyclopedia is bare: there are no English credits.

Yes, Funimation has dubbed 98 episodes of Dragon Ball Kai. There's good reason to believe Ocean has as well. Beyond the years and years of unofficial voice actor confirmations, someone submitted 98 episodes of the series to the CRTC in 2014 for Canadian content approval. Funimation's dub wasn't recorded in Canada.

This thread isn't the right place for a conversation on Kai's initial cancellation, but it wasn't because of the tsunami. That only affected the final episode of the show. Unspectacular merch sales in Japan were the real culprit. Toei, Shueshia and FujiTV decided to prime Toriko as the next big thing and have it replace Kai. While Toriko was airing, Toei realized that Dragon Ball was still popular outside of Japan and greenlit a continuation exclusively for the western market. But there's a problem: Toriko was kind of bust. Despite the large push, it wasn't the next One Piece or Dragon Ball. Toei hastily edited down Kai: The Final Chapters for Japanese broadcast so it could replace Toriko and directly lead into Dragon Ball Super.

Lastly, that Toonami Asia Super dub isn't confirmed to be Funimation's. In fact, they've denied involvement (though, I wouldn't expect them to confirm involvement before they announced the show anyway). It's probably going to be a TV-exclusive South East Asian dub.

Any idea who plays who in World Trigger? I can only make out Cathy Weseluck, probably because I've only heard Ocean's Death Note dub.

There is an English dub for Kingdom; the entire first season is on their website, and Season 2 should be there by March 8 (when the DVD comes out). Oddly, though, the credits are in English, and when I asked Funimation about the cast on their Support page, they said they couldn't release the info at the time. I find that ridiculous since the dub is out - do YOU know who they are?

Also, when do you think that Kai and Super will get their Funimation dub? I really hope they do because they deserve it.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I don't like that people say Black Lagoon and Death Note are the only outright good dubs Ocean Group has ever done. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Gundam 00, and I think I heard nice things about Inuyasha: The Final Act.

Also NANA. Everyone forgets about NANA. I'd honestly say it's the third best dub they've ever done.

Gemnist wrote:
Also, when do you think that Kai and Super will get their Funimation dub? I really hope they do because they deserve it.

When Toei stops being kooky and stubborn. Neutral
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
You can still hear Tabitha St. Germain on Discovery Family. She is Rarity in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic and Pepper in Littlest Pet Shop 2012.

St. Germain is also voicing in Supernoobs, though the cartoon seems to have gone on hiatus for some reason (which is too bad because it's much better than Johnny Test ever was). She's hilarious as Shope.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Dear Lord. Brad Swaile in Barbie movies. Please go Kira on the entire cast, okay Brad?

I haven't seen any of them, but from what I hear, they're not that bad. The people assigned to write them know of their bad reputation and both make the best of what they have and constantly make fun of themselves.

It isn't aiming for periphery demographics in the way Friendship Is Magic is, but it isn't Strawberry Shortcake: Bitty Berry Adventures either.

Brad Swaile is kind of picky about which roles he'll accept though (which stems from him having a bad time voicing MegaMan.EXE in Mega Man: NT Warrior). He isn't like Brian Drummond or Sam Vincent who are up for anything. It's why you don't hear as much form him as the other Vancouver actors.

louis6578 wrote:

Personally, I feel that InuYasha: The Final Act had good actors and good direction, but it sounded like everyone was getting tired of the series and going through the motions. That is, the talent was there but not the enthusiasm.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
English dubs for Media Blasters & Kitty Media are recorded in New Jersey.

not exactly. the also from time to time do have their recording in new york city too. i should know cause at one time in kitty media's facebook page, they were looking for early auditions from the new york area to do one of their ero series they licensed.

also as a retospect the still do have their headquarters in the manhattan area as well as right stuff.

Quote:
New York City used to have quite a few dubbing studios, but was hit perhaps the hardest in the digital age and the economic crisis. NYAV Post does half of its production there.

Not quite answerman. while its true it does half of its production in NY, i'm afraid is mainly now for doing only video games and anime series licensed by media blasters. the last anime series NYAV did was Queens Blade seasons 1 and 2 in NY. basically they mainly use the NY area for voicing video games like Saints Row which i recall was the last one they did. the focus the other anime projects in the LA area now so its basically its 80% in LA, and 10% in NY with the other 10 % for video games, which is ashame since some of the VAs at that time lived in the NY area.

also from what i know of, Ocean Group haven't packed it in as yet. sure some anime series they dub are under the blue water brand, but their definitely not out of doing anime series in the vancouver area since most of its VA, especially those that made the gundam and inuyasha series very popular.

sure its been a while since i have heard from ocean group or any of its VA, but their definitely not out of the voicing industry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Canadian voice acting is a mixed bag. Scott McNeil is a voice acting legend. He has been praised worldwide for his passion and delivery in the booth. By far the best non-expat Canadian VA.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
There seems to be a little bit of an interest with Japanese publishers for UK dubs in some games, they dubbed Dragon Quest(for unknown reasons) and the Souls and Bloodborne games (probably as they fitted it better than American accents).

I can't speak for those specific games, but usually the studio localizing it chooses when to dub and who they're using. Xenoblade chronicles, for instance, was initially only being localized by NOE (iirc) and so they dubbed it with a local studio. When it was finally brought over here, there was no need to redub it, just like with anime, they used what they already had. Though if it was a higher profile title, it might have gotten a new dub, but that would only happen if NOA was going to spend the extra money.

Quote:
and the local fans revolted after they sued torrent downloaders

I'd love to hear that story.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Any idea who plays who in World Trigger? I can only make out Cathy Weseluck, probably because I've only heard Ocean's Death Note dub.

Based on my ears:

Cathy Weseluck as Yuma
Andrew Francis as Yuichi Jin
Brad Swaile as Osamu (not sure on this)

I don't have a clue on the narrator or Chika.

Gemnist wrote:
There is an English dub for Kingdom; the entire first season is on their website, and Season 2 should be there by March 8 (when the DVD comes out). Oddly, though, the credits are in English, and when I asked Funimation about the cast on their Support page, they said they couldn't release the info at the time. I find that ridiculous since the dub is out - do YOU know who they are?

From what I skimmed through it sounded like a lot of Calgary voice actors. I can't recognize any, sorry.

Gemnist wrote:

I think Kai: The Final Chapter might wait until Toonami's ready to air it. I don't know if Funimation (or Cartoon Network) would be willing to wait that long for Super.

louis6578 wrote:

Sword of the Stranger is a great one too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7