• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Dark Side of the Moomin

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
I fondly remember the 1990 adaptation from my childhood, the dubbed episodes of which being ubiquitous on television. Greatly was I confused by the character Little My however. It took me a short while to realise that when other characters were mentioning her by name, the word 'My' was a name and not a misused determiner. (How grammatically reckless of them!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
Curiously, most people here in Finland have watched Moomin when they were young, but dislike anime. Little do they know that they had watched anime way back when! Ah, the irony...
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
For a bit of Moomin in Japan, there's always the Isumi Line in Chiba:

NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
Yuri Fan wrote:
Curiously, most people here in Finland have watched Moomin when they were young, but dislike anime. Little do they know that they had watched anime way back when! Ah, the irony...

Ah, but Moomin is of FINNISH origin. Liking a Moomin anime=/=liking anime, because of said nationalistic sentiment. What's more ironic is that most Finnish cannot speak Swedish to save their lives, even though Jove Jansson was a native Swedish speaker.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Yuri Fan wrote:

Ah, but Moomin is of FINNISH origin. Liking a Moomin anime=/=liking anime, because of said nationalistic sentiment. What's more ironic is that most Finnish cannot speak Swedish to save their lives, even though Jove Jansson was a native Swedish speaker.

That, and Swedish is one of our official languages. But hey, who am I to complain? I can't speak Swedish at all. Then again, I've lived most of my life abroad.

Sorry for the off-topic. Wink
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Yuri Fan wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
What's more ironic is that most Finnish cannot speak Swedish to save their lives, even though Jove Jansson was a native Swedish speaker.

That, and Swedish is one of our official languages. But hey, who am I to complain? I can't speak Swedish at all. Then again, I've lived most of my life abroad.
I remember seeing posters and flyers for a Moomin exhibition in Osaka last year, and they were peppered with random slogans in Finnish. I was thinking "Um, that's not the language the original books were written in..." Smile
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm also left wondering if we'll get more Moomin anime down the road.
Maybe not anime, but something else is on the way: https://www.moomin.com/en/blog/filmlance-international-to-develop-new-moomin-animation-series/

Quoting from the link:
Quote:
Filmlance International today announced it has entered into a licence agreement with Moomin Characters and Bulls Licensing to develop the new Moomin animation series.

Quote:
Attached to direct is Steve Box, Academy Award winner for Best Animated Feature for Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.
GOTZFAUST

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
It is really strange to see so little WMT shows being dubbed in english. The adaptions of american, english and australian literature should have been a staple at least, just for a nationalistic point of view.

Strange as to why Nippon Animation only sold their stuff to Europe. A partnership with Disney back then (as a predeccesor to Ghibli) would of made sense I guess.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Moomins! I absolutely adore the 90s anime, even though its nowhere near finished being subbed yet. I tried to watch the English dub, but it was just terrible and badly acted. I only have two of the books, but plan to get the rest, and I definitely want to watch the rest of the anime, Bouken Nikki included!

As for WMT shows, even though many of them aren't dubbed in English, fansubbing groups have been churning them out a lot over the past six years. A Little Princess, My Annette, Heidi, Anne, Remi (both 1977 and 1997 version), Les Miserables, Porphy's Long Journey, and more recently Trapp Story have been subbed to completion, and Live-Evil is working on Cedie at the moment.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
GOTZFAUST wrote:
Strange as to why Nippon Animation only sold their stuff to Europe. A partnership with Disney back then (as a predeccesor to Ghibli) would of made sense I guess.

Then-Disney was a different beast to the Disney we know today.

Also, they had their own storm brewing that almost crashed the whole company, around mid-80s to beginning of -90s, roughly the timeline between The Black Cauldron and The Little Mermaid. Very much doubt they had any prospective interest or time in a foreign property that directly competed with their own, at that point in time...
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
The JET TV Anne of Green Gables dub was pretty good, IIRC. Sounded like it was done in Canada, which is appropriate for the story.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We probably won't bother with the big Gundam statue, because that thing's been photographed to high heck

You should go see it anyway. Some things pictures can't do justice to, and I suspect this is one of them.

Many years ago I visited Yellowstone National Park, and nearly didn't bother with Old Faithful, something that's also been photographed to death. But I was there, it was due to erupt in about 15 min, so I thought what the heck, but didn't unpack my little Instamatic (what could I possibly add to the hundreds of thousands of professional photos?) and meandered over.

There was a buffalo lying placidly in front of the site, unmoving to the point where I became certain it was taxidermied and placed there for the tourist ambience Rolling Eyes, until about two minutes before the eruption. It got to its feet, strolled over to stand in profile with its front hooves on a small mound of dirt, the very image of a buffalo nickel, and stood there as if it had been trained to, chewing its cud while the geyser went off in the background. Even without the buffalo's impromptu photo bomb, all I can say is that pictures just don't do it justice. It was magnificent.

So if you can work it into what will certainly be a hectic schedule, visit the Gundam. You never know what might happen, and I bet you won't be disappointed by seeing it in person.

On topic, I've seen Moomin here and there, but never really knew what the deal was. Very informative as usual. I hope you keep writing this column for a long time, because I always learn things I didn't know in an entertaining way.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the original author of Pippi Longstocking despise Hayao Miyazaki because he tried making an anime adaptation?

I know Ursula K. LeGuin hates the Earthsea anime film.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I read all the Moomin books when I was a kid (my family, Danish-descended, is very fond of them), and I vaguely knew that they had some presence in Japan, but I never knew there was an actual anime, much less two and a movie. I kind of wonder if I should tell my parents about it. If the movie ever appears on Netflix, they'd probably love it.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I read through the Drawn and Quarterly collection for Moomin just a few months ago, and while certain parts I found absolutely terrifying, by the end of the book I really liked all the characters and the amusing antics they would get involved in. I've been told the 90's anime is really good, but haven't looked into some of the DVD releases I'd heard were on Amazon (probably will eventually).

I went to see the Gundam statue some years ago when I was last in Japan, in Odaiba. It was the late afternoon getting on to nighttime, and at one point the lights dimmed, a voice track came on, and the Gundam eyes lit up and it's head started moving. My memory is vague but it was pretty cool to see in person (I think it's the same way with the Daibutsu in Nara), so I would recommend it to anyone who's interested in Gundam.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2