• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Last School Days Episode Preempted by Real-Life Crime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Victim sensitivity is one thing, but this was an isolated incident. What TV Kanagawa (and the other channels that followed suit) doesn't realize is that they're slapping their audience across the face, especially since many, if not most, viewers started watching this show under the pretense that this is how it would end.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Victim sensitivity is one thing, but this was an isolated incident. What TV Kanagawa (and the other channels that followed suit) doesn't realize is that they're slapping their audience across the face, especially since many, if not most, viewers started watching this show under the pretense that this is how it would end.

Out of many endings, I think there's only a three or four violent endings. One of which is a suicide. So I don't think a violent ending was expected, even though it was a possibility.

EDIT: Just checked Wiki. 21 endings, three of which were violent. (One suicide, two murders)

Plus, I think waiting at least week to air it would be a good decision. I mean, it was set to air a day after the incident occurred. Airing it would have been in bad taste.

Last edited by Unholy_Nny on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
duo05001

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Relax, it's not that big of a deal they're still going to show the end. So what if it's delayed a week or two or however long of a period. Who knows this is proabably a big deal in Japan and people are proabably really upset about this. For them to actually delay this means it is a big deal an the Japanese are not the type to just not air something. Its still going to end and everyone is going to get what they wanted. Big deal they have to wait.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Splitter wrote:

Out of many endings, I think there's only a three or four violent endings. One of which is a suicide. So I don't think a violent ending was expected, even though it was a possibility.

Plus, I think waiting a week to air it would be a good decision. I mean, it was set to air a day after the incident occurred. Airing it would have been in bad taste.

But the violent endings are infamous in internet circles. When this show was first announced, people immediately asked if it would follow the gruesome endings.

If they were to air it next week, I don't think there will be a problem. Unfortunately, there is no discussion of it being aired next week.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I meant to have an "at least" before the week. I'll edit my post to show that.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Huh. It's odd how different trends can be depending on the culture...here we have kids with guns in schools, and there they have kids with bats and axes attacking their parents. (Both trends are just as disturbing, though.)

It sounds like preempting the episode was probably a good decision since it was so soon after the murder, but hopefully they'll air it fairly soon so that people who were following the series won't be left hanging too long. ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that the series will eventually show up on the official website for viewing.

The reason this is such a big deal was because it was a very violent and it was talked about alot in the media, it would have probably made some people uncomfortable and the TV stations were trying to be respectable to the man who died and his grieving family. Murders happen alot but that doesn't mean that they should be ignored. It would kind of like here in the US, sure police being killed happens alot, but what if on one day a very respectable police officer was violentally killed and it gained media wide attention and there was an episode of 24 that had similiar events to air on the same day. I think that not airing the episode or editting that part out would be respectable to the viewers, the victim's family, and the victim themselves.

It makes me very sad that alot of anime fans think more about School Days' finale then the poor man who died. OK so you probably never knew him but atleast have some respect and not say "Couldn't his daughter had waited to kill him till tomorrow?"
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, why the hell WOULD I care about some guy beeing dead? People die all the time, what's the big deal? While I am writting this, more then 70 people have been killed somewhere in the world. To not air it because of this seems stupid, but it's thier choice.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Well, why the hell WOULD I care about some guy beeing dead? People die all the time, what's the big deal? While I am writting this, more then 70 people have been killed somewhere in the world. To not air it because of this seems stupid, but it's thier choice.

Yeah, but there's a difference in impact between someone dying of old age or an accident that you never knew, and a brutal murder of a policeman by his own daughter that makes national (international?) news and shocks a community. That's the sort of death that impacts a person that never knew the people involved because of the impact on the culture...to air an anime directly afterwards that involves a similar incident is just insensitive. It'd be like if someone aired an episode of a TV show here in the US concerning a father that killed his family the day after the Chris Benoit murders. A week later, maybe, a month later is certainly fine, but a day afterwards?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Well, why the hell WOULD I care about some show being delayed? Shows delay all the time, what's the big deal? While I am writing this, more than 70 shows have been preempted by news events or even just a sports event going overtime somewhere in the world. To not show respect because of a supposed need to watch an episode this very instant seems stupid, but fortunately, it IS their choice.

It's entertainment. It can wait.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
DAG NAB IT!

Hopefully they will air the ending sometime soon - I dont want to wait for the DVDs to come up just to see how it all ends!
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
My guess is that the series will eventually show up on the official website for viewing.

The reason this is such a big deal was because it was a very violent and it was talked about alot in the media, it would have probably made some people uncomfortable and the TV stations were trying to be respectable to the man who died and his grieving family. Murders happen alot but that doesn't mean that they should be ignored. It would kind of like here in the US, sure police being killed happens alot, but what if on one day a very respectable police officer was violentally killed and it gained media wide attention and there was an episode of 24 that had similiar events to air on the same day. I think that not airing the episode or editting that part out would be respectable to the viewers, the victim's family, and the victim themselves.

It makes me very sad that alot of anime fans think more about School Days' finale then the poor man who died. OK so you probably never knew him but atleast have some respect and not say "Couldn't his daughter had waited to kill him till tomorrow?"

Fox would never pre-empt 24. Never. Besides, they thrive on pushing the bar for taste on broadcast television.

It's a late-night show. It knows it's audience. Yes, it's sad the guy died in a pretty awful way and I respect that but School Days is a creative work. It's not meant to be offensive to the family. And you know what? You always have the option of not watching. It shouldn't matter if someone's offended. It was their choice to watch it.

Yeah, I'm jaded. Yeah, I don't really care that he died. I think it's sad for about five minutes and then because I don't even know this guy I ask what the hell this has to do with a fictitious work.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh please......it's not like anyone is FORCED to watch the show, I mean come on, do you really thin the people closest to the murder are going to go watch anime the next day and be offended? People who actually are involved in this have WAY better things to do then watch School Days. And I still don't get why a whole country has to moarn the death of someone. Sure, he died, yeah, it's sad, but what does that have to do with the masses? Are you telling me that 100 people (and that's exagerating) are going to start ponedring their existance cause some dude got killed? Are they gonna moarn someone they don't even know? Yes, there are cases when people feel VERY sad about someones death, even if they never heard of them before (like the firemen who died saving people on 9/11, people (not me) felt sad cause those people gave thier lives to save others). This was not one of those cases. This is some random killing story, nothing special about it. Girl hates dad, girl kills dad, big freaking deal.
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Well bless the officers family, god what a way for the other members of the family to find their father/husband. What was up with the daughter...jeeze.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Fox would never pre-empt 24. Never. Besides, they thrive on pushing the bar for taste on broadcast television.

"Never" apparently has a flexible definition these days. 24 has even been pre-empted by a mere White House press conference.

http://www.tv.com/24/day-3-600-a.m.-700-a.m./episode/305780/trivia.html
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4