• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Signs Deal With Fuji TV to Exclusively Stream Noitamina Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:29 am Reply with quote
How nice of FujiTV to sign a far reaching deal with a content platform that has limited international reach.
Melina Putri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:40 am Reply with quote
I wonder if 2nd season of Saekano is also going to be Amazon exclusive despite Aniplex USA has the license for the series.

Last edited by Melina Putri on Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:40 am Reply with quote
At least I already subscribe to the Amazon Prime bundle, but it sure seems like our glorious streaming future involves having to subscribe to lots of different streaming bundles to get all the shows you want (between Crunchyroll, Funimation, Hulu/Viz, Netflix, now Amazon Prime, plus maybe others like Daisuki/Viewster), even if 90% of what is offered on those bundles you don't care about.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:49 am Reply with quote
Screw you, Amazon. Why would I pay $99 a year for this? I don't want to support this business. I hate it's business practices and I never use the site at all. Now this is the only way I can watch noitamina shows? Seriously, just screw you.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
Screw you, Amazon. Why would I pay $99 a year for this?

At least you legally can. Most of us live in countries where Amazon Prime is simply not available. So there's just no way to legally watch noitaminA shows at all now.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
At least I already subscribe to the Amazon Prime bundle, but it sure seems like our glorious streaming future involves having to subscribe to lots of different streaming bundles to get all the shows you want (between Crunchyroll, Funimation, Hulu/Viz, Netflix, now Amazon Prime, plus maybe others like Daisuki/Viewster), even if 90% of what is offered on those bundles you don't care about.

And some places are no longer removing ads even when you pay. Digital cable! I knew it would happen.

rahzel rose wrote:
Now this is the only way I can watch noitamina shows?

They are other, less expensive options. Most fans don't like using them but when the company is screwing you, why would you care anymore?
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote
I mean good for them, but I can't keep subscribing to MORE streaming services. It's going to get to the point where if it's not on crunchyroll or funimation, I'm just going to torrent it.*

(I also have netflix, but they don't actually simulcast their stuff so...)
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:02 am Reply with quote
This is interesting, now how long before we see consolidation in the streaming sphere start?

Mark Gosdin
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
Well, I already have prime for the shipping stuff, but having stuff keep spreading out like this could get silly. Crunchy Roll + Funimation felt like pretty good bang for my buck since you pretty much got it all with that. If a bunch of services end up with a handful of exclusive shows each season, I'll probably end up micromanaging my subs which is annoying. I mean I do have prime already so that isn't an added cost, just a minor annoyance at having to use a different service / app. I could also see fansubs (well if you can call them that as most now just seem to be shameless rips of streams) picking back up as streaming becomes less friendly.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
Its weird that Amazon have just suddenly decided to getting into the streaming anime game just like that, it's alright having a few service for different shows but I kind of hope that other platforms don't decide to get exclusive anime streams or I can see this possibly becoming a problem where you have to subscribe to 10+ service just to see the anime you want
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
Melina Putri wrote:
I wonder if 2nd season of Saekano is also going to be Amazon exclusive despite Aniplex USA has the license for the series.

Even if a series is in the block, but Fuji doesn't hold the worldwide rights to it, they can't grant those rights to Amazon.

For Saekano, for example, Aniplex USA was licensing the rights from Aniplex Japan, not Fuji.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
Welp. Literally Neon Alley 2.0! Absolutely called it!

Guess we're going back to the Pre-Bionix Canada anime scene where the only shows on TV are kid shows with toys or video game tie ins and no streaming at all where people had to rely on those others means.

Don't want to hear complaints considering they brought it upon themselves.
Hidders

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
As someone who already has Prime access, I'm liking this news. 'Specially about getting to watch the new episode a little early.

I'm only about 70% interested in Kabaneri so far but that will be enough to check out the first few episodes.

The future of legal international simulcast is a little messy but at least it exists. I never would have thought it possible 15 years ago.

Last edited by Hidders on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
TooLazyToComeUpWithaName

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
That sucks for people who don't have prime/ live where it's not available. I have prime, but forcing people to get it just to watch one show is really dirty.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
RIP having almost every show covered by Funimation and Crunchyroll (2014-2015)

Seriously though I wouldn't be nearly as sad about this if prime had a free option with ads like Funi/CR.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7