• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: World Bank Turns 1 World into Anime-Style Short

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n0stranger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't normally post, but honestly that was really horrible. If anything it's only going to turn more anime and manga fans against the idea of there being anything good coming out of America.
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if whoever wrote this had even done any research on poverty, or had a clue about the world period. Ahhh the middle class...
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Let me just give a big Rolling Eyes all around on that one. I was expecting that maybe the Chick-fil-A cow would pop out amid some more Scooby Doo sound effects at the end with a sign that said "Eat Mor Chikin".

Also, I know it said it was produced in Singapore, but does anyone know if that is where the dub was made as well?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pawnsacrifice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
That cartoon made me cringe. Forget the fact that the cartoon was horrible. The World Bank has been hindering the development of third world countries for years rather than helping them.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
....-blink-

I made it through about two minutes and couldn't suffer the stupidity any more. I think it was right after the dog started talking when I went "yeah, and this is helping the problem of poverty....how?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I've seen better cartoons on PBS > _ < ;

Also, this isn't helping poverty....

Last edited by therealssjlink on Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Pfffffffffft. Laughing evilly and throwing rocks at defenseless puppies. What villains. (Is it obvious that I closed the window right after that?)

Quote:
If anything it's only going to turn more anime and manga fans against the idea of there being anything good coming out of America.

Neither World Bank nor Singapore is from America, so I'm not sure who to blame for this Anime hyper (and stuff like Totally Spies and Code Lyoko is French anyway). I think S'pore is safe because I'm fairly certain that SOME decent Japanese anime animation is outsourced there, although I can't think of any off the top of my head. But I'm fairly certain "Peach Blossom Media" does NOT animate any such thing. Goodness gracious.
pawnsacrifice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The World Bank is owned by 185 countries, but its headquarters is in Washington, D.C. All but one of its 11 presidents has been an American. For an example of what happens to developing countries that are loaned money by The World Bank, the IMF, and even when the World Trade Organization becomes involved, check out the video Life and Debt.
merr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Gee, can you say propaganda?

Plus the whole thing looks more like Totally Spies than it does actual anime.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't normally post, but honestly that was really horrible.

Several major mistakes here:
1. They needed to dub it in Japanese, and subtitled into English.
2. Dry Screenwriting. Both with story and dialog.
3. Instead of trying to be "moral". It needs to be offensive - in order to get more people's attention.

Watching it, I was "face-palming" the whole way.

merr wrote:
Gee, can you say propaganda?

Propaganda? Ever been to a 3rd world country? It's rather depressing.

pawnsacrifice wrote:
The World Bank has been hindering the development of third world countries for years rather than helping them.

Indeed. While it's central goal is the elimination of poverty, it's rather difficult (or impossible) to reach that goal when leaders of poor countries perform very corrupt acts, such as looting their country's money and stashing them elsewhere. A combination of poor infrastructure and corruption leads a country towards poverty.

Look at China. They've been in poverty well into the 1970's and 80's. With the right policies, they're pulling themselves out hole and became a booming economic story within the 1990's and today. Yet, unfortunately, they're developing some very ugly wealth gaps.

While the World Bank can work to get poverty eliminated, improvement really starts when countries fix themselves up to become economic powerhouses. South Africa is another example.
Twage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote
Wow, somebody has watched Aladdin one too many times. Some parts were even shot-for-shot identical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1