• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The most obvious anime plot twists?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
What reveals were so painfully obvious, they were insulting?

Attack on Titan: spoiler[Annie is the Female Titan. Now, let's compare the Female Titan to Eren's Titan form. In Eren's Titan form, there were a few alterations so that the viewer didn't instantly piece it together that it was him when he first appeared. His hair was longer, his ears were pointier, and his nose was longer. The Female Titan? She's just Annie without skin. The biggest physical giveaway was her nose. Next, let's look at Annie early on in the series. Almost every time she appeared, she had an ominous scowl on her face. I mean, look at this image here: http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/36700000/Annie-Leonhardt-image-annie-leonhardt-36794879-500-463.gif. Would you look at her and think to yourself "Yeah, she seems like a morally right person?" If she were any less subtle, the background music would be Ominous Latin Chanting. Finally, this is something the Marines should have made this mystery solved from the moment they realized she was one of them: the Female Titan was blond, there are only two blond girls in the military (or at least two that actually have names), and one of those blond girls was present during her rampage.]

ERASED: spoiler[The teacher did it. Let's see: he wears all black, has black hair, he would know when and where to get the victims, he closely resembles the killer from the future, and there are always shots of him being covered in shadows, like this one here: https://nineteennooblr.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/ep3-81.png?w=630.]

[EDIT: Spoiler tagged the paragraphs since it's still way too easy to accidentally read and interpret stuff with names and words covered. Just because someone spoiled it for you doesn't mean you gotta' do the same thing to everyone else. -TK]

Last edited by Animeking1108 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
You know, spoiler[Eren being a titan] is also a huge plot point. You should have spoiler-tagged that one too.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:11 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You know, spoiler[Eren being a titan] is also a huge plot point. You should have spoiler-tagged that one too.

Tell that to the idiots that spoiled it to me.
Night fox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:38 am Reply with quote
^ You actually mentioned it twice, so you need one more spoiler tag. The name of the linked image could also be considered a spoiler.

(and since you didn't consider the spoiler factor yourself, then you shouldn't judge others too harshly for making the same mistake) Wink
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I tried to cover the URL, but the text is still visible. Well, this isn't a tech support thread and I'm sure the people reading have enough instinct to know not to read it.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I tried to cover the URL, but the text is still visible. Well, this isn't a tech support thread and I'm sure the people reading have enough instinct to know not to read it.
You can cover up the URL by using the following format:
Code:
[url=typeURLhere]Type anything here.[/url]

You really are a piece of work.
You're a real piece of work.

Last edited by nobahn on Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
You know, "X" is also a huge plot point. You should have spoiler-tagged that one too.

Tell that to the idiots that spoiled it to me.

That doesn't matter animeking. We expect spoiler tags to be used by all people. It sucks if someone ruined a show for you but that does not give you carte blanch to not avoid using spoiler tags and ruin shows for others.

Also, we are allowing this thread to stay open for the moment but the moment it turns into nothing more than simple list posts of "obvious plot twists" with no real debate or substance it will be locked.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
Edited post to add spoiler tags. --willag

Monster: spoiler[The young boy is the killer and titular Monster. You might not know it coming in, if you're lucky, but even before the reveal in episode four, scenes with him opening his eyes after Tenma vents his rage can make it rather obvious.]

Sword Art Online: spoiler[Death Gun being 3 people was teased in the opening, but him being the guy who Sinon was friends with is something of an obvious twist in my opinion.]

Bokurano: spoiler[Piloting the robot equals death is something you'll have to read between the lines to figure out, but once you get that down, not many people are surprised that the enemy is actually a human from another universe put in the same situation as our pilots. It's especially obvious when you consider that losing or going above the time limit results in the planet (or, universe) being destroyed.]

Code Geass: spoiler[CC actually wants to die. While it's not THAT obvious, the fact that she's an immortal with an ambiguous wish kind of leaves you unsurprised by the reveal.]

Anohana: spoiler[Yukiatsu is dressing up as Menma. Come on. Did we really not see that one coming?]

Madoka Magica: spoiler[If the internet didn't already spoil the whole show for you, Kyubey being evil (or... an antagonistic force of apathy) isn't surprising. When I saw Homura trying to kill him, I immediately assumed it was justified.]

Your Lie in April: spoiler[Kaori is secretly dying. She's rather cryptic about it when she says "I won't always be here for you."]

Naruto: spoiler[Naruto is the son of the fourth hokage.] Neutral Nuff said.

And finally, for Attack on Titan: spoiler[Obito is the colossal titan.] <---- Uh, is this sarcasm or a genuine mistake?
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:16 am Reply with quote
This thread will be locked if people can't keep spoilers behind spoiler tags.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Here is one that has bothered me for a while:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (major spoilers if that wasn't obvious): spoiler[In episode 11 and 12, when Takano gives Keiichi a ride, she obviously seems to think that he has killed someone. However, rather than being concerned, she seems to find the situation more amusing than anything else. She also clearly seems to be hiding something herself, since she has Tomitake's bike but lies about it, has something in the trunk of her car so she won't let Keiichi use it, and is insistent that Keiichi not mention that they met (the most obvious implication is that she murdered Tomitake and his body was in her trunk). This also is happening after the point where Takano is usually announced to have died (I'm not sure if that was specifically stated in this timeline, but it seemed fairly consistent). So basically, as of episode 12 of the first season, it seems like Takano has murdered Tomitake and faked her own death. Of course, having faked her death, she can be away by the time everyone in town dies without anyone suspecting that she is involved. So it seems extremely obvious that she is the antagonist. It was to the point that I was convinced it must be a red herring, since it seemed unlikely that they would reveal the real villain so early (about a quarter of the way through the two seasons). Yet it turned out that she really was the villain and basically everything that was implied about her was true. I was left wondering if this was actually not intended as a surprise at all, or if we were supposed to write off everything that happened as Keiichi being insane (he clearly seemed insane in that timeline, but still it seems unlikely this was all a hallucination). Or maybe the surprise is that the obvious villain really is the villain and not a red herring?]
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:53 am Reply with quote
^ I don't know if we were supposed to write it off as insanity but I know I did. Wouldn't be the first nor the last time it happened in the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1