• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Myriad Colors Phantom World (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Maybe Ruru was made using Haruhiko's powers? Maybe in his loneliness as a child he created a friend for himself.

The ending certainly suggests (as I have been speculating all along) that Ruru and Haruhiko are mentally connected in some way. She seems to have an ego all her own though so it would be better to say she branched from him rather than is actually a part.

This anime suddenly got a lot more interesting with such a dangerous villain. She seems to have an interest in something more than just evil, however. If she was just evil she wouldn't have been interested in playing the mom part for so long.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
The show did that babbling about Jungian psychology and the inner shadow so that may be of interest in explaining what happened at the end with Ruru.

It's episodes like this that feature strong content and makes me really appreciate the show. There's something more at stake here with this new phantom that the other episodes haven't really establish. In addition, the show takes on a more serious stance so I can actually start caring about the characters. Actually, the Haruhiko centric episodes have been the stronger ones, imho. There's a lot about his character we've learned that makes him interesting and care for. This episode solidifies that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
Ruru seemed pretty suspicious of her, and with the implication that she is one of his creations, one would gain opinions on why he was so quick to believe it. Could we assume that his powers are constantly being used to sustain Ruru, his friend that was dreamed up in middle school?
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Considering the Phantom was inhabiting the mom's body rather than just taking her form, it had access to all her memories and such so she'd know how to act exactly like his mom.

I suppose not knowing his mother from anywhere else in the series it is hard to say, but the whole episode gave me the distinct impression that she was off. Her character type wasn't what you'd expect from someone who had left their son behind.

Then again, the show did have things like the sudden, off-screen turnabout of Reina's parents so maybe paying attention to details like that in a series such as this is ill-advised.

Vaisaga wrote:
While reading your post I had a thought: Maybe Ruru was made using Haruhiko's powers? Maybe in his loneliness as a child he created a friend for himself.

I've suspected this is the case for a while now. Ruru's sudden collapse despite Enigma not taking any direct action against her is pretty close to outright confirmation.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
episode thirteen

The running Ruru theory has been confirmed! Albrecht is smarter than our protagonist! Haruhiko's harem has grown even further!

The fight relied a bit too much on completely filling the screen with eye burning special effects, but was pretty satisfying nonetheless. Overall though, it was a mostly uninteresting ending to a a mostly uninteresting series.

Also, while I don't mind them going for an all ishappy and well ending, trying to squeeze a heartwarming comment out of Enigma right before she went away felt pretty forced.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

I noticed an interesting detail that the book he liked as a child and read with his mother had a female genie like character on the front who bears a resemblance to Ruru. I thought from early on that Ruru's appearance kind of matched pop culture idea of genie, and this might have an interesting implication beyond what was said about Ruru being a part of him. A small comment was said about this, but that seems a little unnecessary after easily spotting it.

Last episode was okay, but maybe give a bad taste because this episode's tone does not match up with a lot of the rest of the show. Or at least I feel like maybe this is what could have been all along, and proper steps were not taken to make a more consistent tone of the series. I liked some of the experimentally animated bits, but a lot feels like "fanservice" when looking at the overall story. This fanservice not necessarily referring to Mai feeling herself up, but say making the cast turn into cats. The most important characters in the show to get right with character was probably Haruhiko and secondly Ruru since she is supposed to be a part of him. I don't know what could have been done to better it, I liked some silly stuff episodes even if it clashed with the main plot, hacking Albrecht. Maybe I just wish more breadcrumbs were placed throughout the episodes of the main plot. Nothing was really done with some sort of reveleation that may make us perceive things differently like I thought the series might pull off with its opening themes.

This perhaps would have been a fine anime by itself, but coming from Kyoto Animation means that there is a heap of expectations. Compared to the rest of their series, this does not rank highly in the story department. I had the controversial Beyond the Boundary in my head a the beginning, but I think that series was more creative than this. I rate Myriad Colors Phantom World as Decent (6/10), I did not lose my time even if the show made its way down in interest.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
This series was bad, just plain bad in terms of storytelling and whatever attempt it was trying at selling its comedy. Seriously though, I didn't find it funny at all and most of the time, I find the storytelling to be messy. Finale also felt rushed with the whole battle against Engima while throughout the course of the show, I find Haruhiro to be a very dull protagonist.

Action and technical visuals were nice though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I thought this show was somewhat of a fun ride. There were only two episodes I didn't enjoy.

The story is supposed to get REALLY interesting later on....so I read. It'd be a shame if there's no chance for a second season.

I also always thought Ruru looked like a genie, with her darker skin and curly little shoes. Anime hyper
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
This show just wasn't all that good in my opinion. The comedy was pretty lame. The show mostly consisted of a bunch of dumb phantom-of-the-week episodes. The last 2 episodes were okish, but it was too little too late. I didn't find Enigma to be all that interesting or threatening. I think this show could have been a lot more interesting if it was about Haruhiko rebuilding his relationship with his mother.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm on the opposite of the fence on this one. I fully enjoyed this show and didn't mind the phantom of the week formula. For me, it didn't need to have an underlining plot to be enjoyable.
Zork

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm solidly on the "likes" side of the fence. I enjoyed the humor of the show. There were no "burst out laughing" moments, but there was always one or two situations per episode that just made me smile, such as Ruru using a pay phone to contact Haruhiko, or Albrect holding the script while Kurumi reads from it.

I also like watching Ruru. She seemed to be always doing something, even when she wasn't the focus of the scene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9