• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Lost Village (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote

Mayogia (TV)

Genre: Mystery
Themes:

Plot Summary: 30 young men and women come together on a shady bus tour. The tour's destination: an illusive, possibly nonexistent village called Nanakimura. In Nanakimura, one can lead a utopian existence, free of the world's obstacles, or so it was rumored, like an urban legend.
----------------------------------

The premise reminds me of Another to be honest and it's directed by Tsutomu Mizushima (Shirobako, Girls und Panzer, Another). I think this has a lot of potential especially with the mystery genre and the utopia village setting also reminds me of Shinsekai Yori in away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Hmm I thought it was okay, a lot of characters though on the bus and we got introduction by each of them from the beginning. The glasses guy has most of the attention on the road so far with his energy.

I got a thrilling feeling from the first episode with the bus on the road at night. It just sets up for a bad vibe to approach soon. The OP song is okay, not too well animated but has some catchy tones. [s]I can't get out of that song they were singing when it was raining[/s]

I think I like that Lion kid the most so far. Not liking that bus driver much though. I think the show has potential. ED theme song is kinda nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

It kind of had the feeling of a suicide cult, planning to kill themselves as a group thinking that it will lead to a new life. Most of the characters seem to have varying levels of mental illness, some pretty desperate need of some help.

That one "weird" girl seems to be plainly suffering from OCD, compulsive thoughts where she can suddenly become convinced something bad will happen if she does not do a particular thing. More than supposedly being weird, it is kind of sad to see someone with that illness forced into what situation she is in. I have seen a couple documentaries on the subject, and it looks like this.

Really creepy tone so far, it really feels like at some moment people will crack and people will end up dead. Just alone the different problems they are suffering from makes it look like they would be even less useful to be together. Most dangerous seems to be the guy with some sort of anger and inferiority complex that cannot stand another being in charge. I think the episode also caught a tone of excitement that these people are wishing to escape to something better.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
It seems something interesting happens when you arrange all the promo art in reverse order:

Warning: possible spoilers
http://i.imgur.com/KTbcMOz.jpg

Look like they might already know where they're going with this series.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
It seems something interesting happens when you arrange all the promo art in reverse order:

Warning: possible spoilers
http://i.imgur.com/KTbcMOz.jpg

Look like they might already know where they're going with this series.

Lol yea I pretty much figured that's where this is headed, since they carried the most presence in this episode. Just hope I'm wrong, since Lion seems like a better character right off the bat.

The whole time I was watching this ep, I felt like I was starting a new game on my Vita. Just has that sort of atmosphere.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
The first episode didn't really interest me all that much, but I think part of it is waiting for stuff to happen, and part because it reminds me of the Beyond Midnight arc of the Higurashi manga (group of people who want to end their lives head to a sealed off area). It has potential, so I'll give it another episode or two, but this first one didn't catch me.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
The only sane one is the friggin bus driver.

Lots of potential here.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen it yet, but I'm certain I'll enjoy it because this director can do no wrong in my eyes. People hated Another, I saw a fantastic horror comedy. Blood-C was conventionally awful but highly amusing at the right times. Otherwise, his works are generally great.
xyz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
First visual. 30 secs of asphalt road. I fell asleep while watching. It would be good if the bus suddenly goes through a worm hole that leads them to another dimension where they will play out Uninhabited Dimension Survival.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I still really think this show should be better for a 2-cour story.

Either way, it looks like there's a lot of unanswered questions. Like...who were the people that arrived at that village before? What happened to them now? Why do I have a feeling that the bus driver is hiding something? What happened to two individuals that disappeared? And how?

Not bad for the episode but I really hope the show makes proper time to fill in the holes. Meanwhile Mitsumune seems to be attracting some of the ladies ;o

I wonder if what that footprint came from. Probably a bear? Lol.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
What happened to two individuals that disappeared?

Given that it was pretty obviously the initiation of spoiler[a rape attempt] nothing good for sure.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
I feel like I'm watching Survivor. I'm already picking people to vote off the island. Very Happy

While I'd love to set up shop in an abandoned village out in the middle of nowhere, the only way I could do it with other people would be if I had absolute authority over everything. Not that I wouldn't seek advice from rational, cooperative people, but I just have no tolerance for dipshits like the guys who wanted to screw over the driver or the ditzy girls. Really, the detective woman and the trip leader guy (he's no prize but he seems harmless) are about the only ones I actually kind of like so far. Mitsu's childhood friend (Hayato? I'm not really trying on names until they pare the cast down a little) is ok too, but Mitsu himself needs to fall in the river (and take Puke Girl with him). Stage hypnotists would love him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

So there is some sort of giant beast out there? I had the strangest thought of a joke of this kind of like being a serious version of Animal Crossing. Called it if they dig up strange artefacts.

Well so far a couple have gone missing, and the answer seems to be a rape attempt, which is kind of sad to see so quickly. Not sure we would see the actual threat so quickly, but evidence of some sort of monster like entity have been pretty strong. I am kind of falling into thinking werewolf, where maybe we will see it become a game of being hunted but also some being infected. I am kind of jumping to conclusions for now though.

I kind of let out a laugh with the combat nut who started going off about women being weak and mostly being good for continuing the species. I am sure a number of us have met people with their heads so far up the rear end that they say the most stupid things. And that really seems to make up a lot of the cast with them all being pretty dysfunctional, and in ways I can actually somewhat believe.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
episodes one and two

Despite the Battle Royale mentions in the preview guide, I've been getting a more Lord of the Flies vibe from this, especially with the appearance of a beast and all the superstition that has already developed. One thing that really throws this analysis off though is that the show is clearly focusing heavily on personal identity and I see little sign of any clear lines for tribal allegiances, yet. I'm uncertain where it is going with all these thoughts about identity but my current money is still that there is no dangerous beast of supernatural or even natural proportions and that it is simply a boogeyman that will drive the characters actions with its supposed existence.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I had the strangest thought of a joke of this kind of like being a serious version of Animal Crossing.

Well, it's not like it hasn't been done before.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
I had the strangest thought of a joke of this kind of like being a serious version of Animal Crossing.

Well, it's not like it hasn't been done before.

Yeah I have read that before. Kind of why I associate Animal Crossing with a secret terror of a small town.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6