• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Garo: Crimson Moon (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Anyone still watching this? This might've been an ok episode except that the first 10 minutes was almost total darkness, so I have only the dialog to go on to know what happened. Well, even when daylight happened, it was still stupid, so maybe not even ok. :/

How many more episodes are they going to drag this out?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
I am still watching, not that I am much of a fan of it.

One problem I had was that the show expected me to care that the guy died, but I really did not like him anyway, so it actually made me happy. I guess that is another thing is that I have not been sold on the society either, that I don't like the upper class characters, and would like nothing more than all the aristocrats to just get eaten, which the show has done. I was not a fan of the first season, but at least the characters did not make me just want the world to burn (except the main characters.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22:

Damn, the pain of this show..

Rudra being the embodiment of trouble in this series. I feel bad for what Seimei, Raikou, etc has to go through. Now, even Seimei's grandfather has to suffer? Cruel world. At least they're able to get back Seimei....but I also hope she'll be able to get some payback.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow...

The true form of Rudra. It reminds me of some old school monster Buddha from a monster movie. Not bad for the action, I liked most of it although the episode itself felt kind rushed for some reason. Kaguya looks like she has a prominent role to play soon to seal Rudra. Should be interesting to see and I hope all the main cast gets some role in the fight. I'm actually kinda excited now. These past few episodes have been fairly well done compared to the first half.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
The true form of Rudra. It reminds me of some old school monster Buddha from a monster movie.

Or something from Bayonetta.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Series' finale:

Hmm....weird finale. I mean, I sort of liked it but kind of disliked it as well. It was just pretty predictable and felt rushed. Great choreography and raw emotions though especially towards the end.

So uh yeah, honestly I liked the first season a lot better than this sequel but whatever. This series has its own good moments, mainly in the second half while I didn't like much of the first half. Not sure what to rate this at the moment.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23 (finale)

So silver guy reaches the end of his armour limits and is knocked out of the fight, but he suddenly joins back in towards the end as if nothing was wrong, and Raikou able to control the armour when it goes full beast showing the fight is on and he is strong, but he receives an "upgrade" that makes him look normal but with wings. Maybe good choreography or whatever, but some of it felt like a mess.

I have said it through this run, I kind of have liked the characters more than the first season, but the story part is really not good. I really am not a fan of Garo, I found the first season did too much in celebrating a man of questionable morals and acting as if he was the best ever. So the prospect of making the main character come off as good with his earnest and a pretty kickass female character, I thought it would be good. Unfortunately this series was plagued by repeated formulae. A common theme is okay, but so many of the earlier episodes were pretty much the same thing: There is word that something is wrong, characters have some silly skit, characters look into event, the show points to one thing but really there is a "twist", characters being overpowered by enemy, seal gets broken, heroes win. Now on paper that looks like a simple way to make a story, but it the last few things. After a while you know there is a "twist" and thus it stops actually being surprising, and all drama leaves the fight because you know it is going to yet again play out the exact same way. The formulae repeats for far too long, and when the actual plot of the show starts to kick in, it removes Seimei which was arguably one of the better parts of the show.

Also add in that perhaps personally, I am not too much of a fan of the caste system in the show. The guy who becomes a thief is pretty much a hero, but you still have all the supposedly lawful d-bags. And it was like the show expected me to feel something for the upper-class people, but I really could not care about them as much as a random peasant in the show. There might have been some reasonable talk about political issues and such, but with the final episode none of it was really concluded. We had stuff in the previous episode of the lord being an ass and trying to kill people, but none of that came back in this episode. Why even make that a thing if you won't touch it again?

Some interesting animation, and maybe interesting topics on "darkness", but it all kind of got annoying when the villain just hammily keeps talking about darkness, many of the scenes are also visually dark too. It tries to end like it is trying to say something, but I don't think it really succeeded. It was not as creative as it might have lead you to believe. I am going to rate it as Not really good (4/10).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 24

Was that the last episode?? It just kind of ended. (Encyclopedia sez it gets 26, but I don't know what they'd do with an entire extra episode, let alone two) Everything got resolved in a hurry (except for the sealing - jeez Kagura, could you pick up the pace a little? the world's about to end here...), and then they almost cut them off mid sentence to exit to credits. Couldn't have cut a couple minutes of battle to allow for some denouement?

Dunno why Semei even bothers to get dressed, her clothes are the same color as her skin and the seams fill in for anything they cover. Neutral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3