• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
The world certainly had a bleak air about it without Sukeroku in it. Imagine what he and Kiku together could have accomplished.

Also for Komatsu. I wonder if she had any happy times after her parents died. As an adult she seems merely sullen and adrift.

All said and done I can't think of anything this anime has not excelled at. It has been a while since I rated anything Masterpiece but I think I have found it now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (season 1 finale)

I have to express the goose bumps I was getting as the end had Yotaro say announcing that there would be more. I really like this show, I think mostly because we have the story now. I love that this is a real adult show where I can laugh at a sly piece if dialogue that expects you to follow along. It is all in the rakugo where maybe you would think a joke would be lost in translation but it makes me laugh, like back to the first episode with the thief story. I laughed here where he made a comment that he shaved his head out of getting ready for the shame of his promotion getting out, or what he meant for him to ask to inherit the Sukeroku name.

A little surprising in hearing that Konatsu was to become a single mother, but I think it is worth it even more to think of it in the 70s. Being told that she got yelled at and the "shame", it kind of fits into a theme some actions and circumstances appearing horrible to an older generation, but it can just be fairly close to a change in society. What one of the biggest moments in the episode of running course was seeing Yakumo (Kikuhiko/Bon) seeing full well how right Sukeroku was about the changing times, that his influence of updating the craft could have done something to prevent the current situation. The older generation should not be so quick to hate something new and unknown, they can't make people like what they want.

This show is pretty amazing, although I do have to make some acknowledgement that it dipped a bit in the little. Things did move forward, but it just felt a little slow when we were wanting to get answers with the whole story and back to where we started. I am not always a fan of these adult drama stories, I often feel like they try too hard to be artistic, but, I really liked this, some great characters even with flaws. I give it a rating of Excellent (9/10). I really look forward to the next season, although in saying that it has me a little worried because it will surely be out of the old setting most of this season was in and such, but the child thing has me a little interested and I want to see some Konatsu. Also, that reminds me, the part where we see the "I am going to kill you" and how this is not something from her father, but a part she has of her mother.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
There are still some unanswered questions about the past though, like when did Sukeroku record all those albums (had someone been recording his Tokyo performances all along and then released them posthumously?)?

I have been trying to figure this out too. What comes to mind is what was said in an earlier episode that hinted that some of their rakugo performances were also broadcast over the radio. It seems a possibility that there might have been a recording done somewhere which captured a couple performances.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
episode thirteen

It's heartening to see that Kiku is back to taking out his suffering on those around him again now that Sukeroku is gone. Though, the character wouldn't really work if he was all that dynamic since he's the representative of the old guard and if there's anything the flashback cast is incapable of it's changing themselves.

It's weird that the reactions to Kiku's story were skipped over. It seems like this would be relatively important but it's either not, or somehow they figure there's a better time to show it. To be fair, haircuts are also important. You can win or lose promotions on those. Even promotions you were already given.

If it weren't for the announcement of another season, I'd say this is a really weird place to stop. It's still a weird place to stop in terms of the season gap, actually, just not as weird.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:57 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Yes, it is back, the number one show about Rakugo. It was pretty genius that we had a recap of events via a Rakugo performance so fitting for this series.

Yotaro has inherited Konatsu's father's name, and it is both heartening and disheartening to see the popularity of him along with the general lack of it for the art. As Konatsu was describing him you could totally pick it up as being like her father, and that it kind of had the bite that she is a little afraid of getting too attached to him from fear of losing him like she did her father. But also that their relationship is not exactly romantic, but familial, familial love, and that kind of break from the usual take is interesting.

Before going further, maybe reminder that I suck with the names, and this show where their names can actually change makes it hard. Yakumo despite being a master of the art feels kind of into killing the entire art after he dies, kind of selfish but also something we know quite a bit of the emotions involved. I kind of think part of it is that he had the chance to work with his old friend in the past to really bring Rakugo in a modern way, but he lost his chance and thinks it does not deserve to be saved, that if it did so much for purity up to now it should not be done now, and maybe even punishing himself as the master that ended it.

There are some pretty bad signs in the preview for the next episode, along with Yakumo with the baby which should be fun.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:46 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

Yotaro’s career is having trouble, and despite him trying not to show it, the story getting out about his old connections to the Yakuza is affecting him. And it is happening at the same time where he is trying to find his own rakugo, where he is stuck between his two inspirations and not really meeting either. His rakugo in the episode came off a bit impatient and uneven, focusing on trying to match his master’s basics, yet throw in the fun of Konatsu’s father. I always thought Yotaro’s strength was in that story where he plays an idiot and a criminal, it is kind of his past, and it might have been what was meant when told he should face it.

And speaking of Konatsu’s father, her baby looks quite a bit like him, and I get the feeling it is having some meaning. Also, I think we just got onto the path of who the baby’s father is.

Oh, small thing. A kid in the episode looked to have a Game Boy, but that was not released until 1989?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:56 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

A dangerous rant by one Yotaro, pretty much picking a fight with a yakuza leader, bringing up that he has good reason to hold a grudge against the man. And reason for it was his family, he did it to stand up for Konatsu, his wife, and to tell him to stay the hell away from his son. It was stupidly dangerous, Konatsu was mortified, but could there be a greater show of affection? And looked to put things at ease where Konatsu was beginning to worry that she would turn into her mother.

As if rewarded for it Yotaro got to Yakumo do a very not himself performance, and instead like Konatsu’s father, which inspired Yotaro to try it. Although it also looked like it might have been a bit of a toll on the old man.

Looks like next episode will have another time skip with an older kid, and it has me interested.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

OMG, Konatsu performing Rakugo, that was amazing, like something needed to be seen from her appearance in the show, and how she did it as a child. Actually, the fact that it was kindergarteners is possibly especially big as how she performed around that age. Otherwise she seems to keep saying that she is given up on properly doing it, it really seems to be from a desire to honour the tradition, but that it is being let down.

Their kid also has a huge amount of charisma.

Strange thing, I kind of felt like I knew the words to this Rakugo performance, the long name that kept being said, like I was able to recite some of it. Jugemu jugemu gokou no surikire. I have heard it before. Joshiraku! It is in the Joshiraku ED. I quite like that song. Just a reminder, Joshiraku is a gag anime staring female Rakugo performers. I can see a video on YouTube that is just a 10 hour long video repeating the part with the name.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 4;

Pretty interesting episode.

We got more focus on Konatsu again and her kid. She's really grown to a mature woman this season and I like her character chemistry with Yotarou. It's like they have this sort of love-hate relationship going on. We got to see a rakugo performance as well this episode. Is it just me or does Yotaru seem even more energetic than usual? Lol. I think it's because he is performing in front of a younger audience.

Konatsu's talent also shouldn't be underestimated. I think she did very well. Hope to see her perform again in the future!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Strange thing, I kind of felt like I knew the words to this Rakugo performance, the long name that kept being said, like I was able to recite some of it.

It's also parodied in the name of the monkey in Gintama: Jugemu Jugemu Unko Nageki Ototoi no Shin-chan no Pantsu Shinpachi no Jinsei Balmunk Fezarion Isaac Schneider San Bun no Ichi no Junjou na Kanjou no Nokotta San Bun no Ni wa Sakamuke ga Kininaru Kanjou Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru you de Shiranai no wo Boku wa Shitteiru Rusu Surume Medaka Kazunoko Koedame Medaka... Kono Medaka wa Sakki to Chigau Yatsu Dakara Ikeno Medaka no Hou Dakara Raa-yuu Yuuteimiyaouki Mukou Pepepepepepepepepepepepe Bichiguso Maru.

Or in English: Jugem-Jugem Poop Throwing Machine Shin-chan’s Day Before Yesterday Underwear Shinpachi’s Life Balmunk Fezarion Isaac Schneider One Thirds Pure Feeling Two Thirds Worried-Over-A-Hangnail Feeling Though Betrayal Knows My Name Or Does It? I Know The Unknown The Cuttlefish Tastes Kind Of Different Than It Did Last Time Because It Was Caught Near The Pond And Served With Oil From A Hoofed Mammal Pepepepepepepepepepepe Runny Diarrhea.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:03 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 5

Did it finally happen? So far a little vague, but this might be another major turn.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:44 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 6

Well the old man is not out yet. That moment though where Yotaro wanted to leave with the ambulance, but the show had to go on, to leave the performance would be another traversty that his master would not want. He had to stay behind, and in hindsight, it was kind of incredibly fitting a story about a man who stays behind to make some fortune. And it is fitting that he is filling in the role of his master, doing the work of a man who was planning on it all ending with him. Quite a layer too with the talk of the theatre, its age is something priceless should be looked fondly for its history, but really there might be something in creating something to the new age.

And no argument that they are a family.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:04 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
He had to stay behind, and in hindsight, it was kind of incredibly fitting a story about a man who stays behind to make some fortune.

Well, now I feel like an idiot. I think I was so caught up in trying to follow the scam that that went right over my head. Very Happy Is that why Yakumo insisted he learn it?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:32 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
He had to stay behind, and in hindsight, it was kind of incredibly fitting a story about a man who stays behind to make some fortune.

Well, now I feel like an idiot. I think I was so caught up in trying to follow the scam that that went right over my head. Very Happy Is that why Yakumo insisted he learn it?

He might have done so subconsciously, like maybe a part of him does not want it to end. And as they said, apparently the particular rakugo can come out differently depending on the one performing it, I wonder about the variation it might feel from that. Regardless, it was a guy "sacrificing" himself to pay a tab to work at a venue, where he then uses his charm to get a win out of it. Based on the theme it may be Yotaro staying behind for his master who thinks that rakugo is dead, but might have the power to bring it back.

I was reading around, and it has me thinking I should have paid a bit more attention before now, that in the Jugemu episode before where they mentioned that the story used to end in tragedy with the child drowning, but the story changed to a lighter tone and the change was accepted by the audience. Not only with there being a likely less tragic child in the episode, but it may in general be about the general stuck in the past and tragoc part of the family situation that existed in the first season, and now with a modern change it could be less tragic.

And also want to add that I came across a kind of modern Jugemu, which was done as if by one of the characters from Joshiraku, on YouTube, the modern part involving an otaku needing a name for his daughter. I found it quite funny, and made me think that there is something quite interesting about rakugo as a story method, especially noted if you can understand what it is about.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 7

Holy crap. That is what happened. And Konatsu has been blaming Yakumo, her adopted father, all these years. It is the sort of thing that maybe should mean something different should be done, but it would totally destroy her. Extra respect to him. spoiler[Konatsu pushed her mother back who fell off the ledge and her father tried to save her before them both falling off.] Actually, could that play into the topic brought up earlier of stories changed to make them more palatable?

And I think that was some extra interesting hints at more of how a complex character Miyokichi was, she felt different from the point of view of another character. And whatever the real situation was that happened, somehow involved spoiler[Sukeroku getting stabbed, which she seemed to regret in looking traumatised for it and saying that she did it]. If she was meaning to do the spoiler[lovers suicide, I can imagine that she was not meaning to actually get Sukeroku, that he actually took it].
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:32 am Reply with quote
Wow. Just.... wow.....

But then, what was the scene we saw in the first season? Whose recollection was that? Or is it just the events as Kikuhiko would like everyone to believe?

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!! What a revelation!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6