• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - First Impressions: Star Fox Zero

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
I never like Kratos.
The God of War games tried to paint him as some poor soul who was used by the Greek Gods except all i see is a crazy, selfish bastard who's own actions lead to his family's death and he refuses to take responsibility for his actions. Heck, the Gods have good reason of wanting to stop and kill him when he rebelled since he was ruining the world due to his actions andspoiler[ lead to the End of the World.]
So why now they bring him back just so they can make him kill the Norse Gods?

Last edited by MrTerrorist on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So if there truly is a fourth God of War with Kratos slaughtering the entire Norse collection of deities, demigods, and world-encompassing serpents, we need a Valkyrie Profile to counter it.

I thought there are at least 6 GoW games. Ascension, Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta are all canonical entries in the series. Not surprised Todd hates it though, I mean, "Bros before Hoes", boobs, dismemberment, basically the series never had a chance (I wonder if he hates Ninja Gaiden as well). It's still weird to counter Action-Adventure with an RPG, is there even an overlap between people who buy these games?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
I only ever played the first God of War game. Never felt the need to continue. And I'm sure as hell not going to help that bald asshole kill the Norse gods. I like them.

Moving on...really would like the Mega Man Legends games on the PS4. Just saying, be appreciated.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
It would be nice if they made another VP. Man there's so much that the game companies COULD DO. I mean where's the best Castlevania game? Always on the handhelds. Where's a good Contra, Where's a new Jet Set Radio or ANYTHING!! They ask the gamers what they want to see that they haven't visited in awhile and they don't do it. I'm just referring to those who have been part of the gaming scene for years.

I know that it takes years to come up with something and get it to sell. We need good stories and good gameplay and lots and lots of innovation.

Sure we're getting more MM, but never MML3.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
I never like Kratos.
The God of War games tried to paint him as some poor soul who was used by the Greek Gods except all i see is a crazy, selfish bastard who's own actions lead to his family's death and he refuses to take responsibility for his actions. Heck, the Gods have good reason of wanting to stop and kill him when he rebelled since he was running the world due to his actions andspoiler[ lead to the End of the World.]
So why now they bring him back just so they can make him kill the Norse Gods?

Yeah, even back in the first game there were issues and really came off as pandering to angry, whiny douchebags. Devil May Cry at had a charismatic lead in Dante who actually goes through a damned arc and Ninja Gaiden was at least patently ridiculous and embraced it instead of trying to be "serious" like GoW. And that's before we get into how both those series are more competent and complex as games (well, up until NGIII anyway) than GoW ever has been.

As for VP, I did find it interesting how it served as this counterpoint to typical depictions of Norse mythology as hyper-masculine. Seriously, ask most people about Ragnarok and they paint you an image of a heavy metal album cover. VP instead showed it as somber, grim, and depressing, your link to the world being Lenneth who is a feminine presence but also tragically detached. People suffer meaningless deaths and the only solace she can give them is having them go to Valhalla and fight on behalf of their gods for glory. And too bad their gods are manipulative, selfish, cowardly weasels.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Weirdly enough, I've never played any of the Valkyrie Profile games either. I missed out on life. Get those on the PS4 too.

And the Drakengard games. All of'em. I want to experience every fucked up adventure once again. Nier even.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
I love the GoW games, but yeah, by the time of GoW III, Kratos becomes thoroughly un-likable with only the ending providing some sort of emotional restoration for someone who had descended into a pure caricature of anger and hate. Hopefully GoW 4 has either a new hero or gives Kratos some development spoiler[after he finally forgave himself for the death of his family.]
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
God of War 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. It's Absolutely amazing what those those guys managed to create on ps2 technology. I still need play third one (no next gen console at the moment).
thenix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for going off on God of War. You have a much wider audiance and more credibility than i do
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the God of War series: Kratos isn't *supposed* to be likeable. He's *supposed* to be a total jerk. If you look at what most of the Greek "heroes" were like (and there are notable exceptions), they were total asshats.

Yes, Kratos did have some pathos going on that made some of his actions understandable, but ultimately he went off the deep end. Pretty much everyone told him this. There are even points in the story where the gameplay makes this explicitly obvious. Kratos was not a good person, but many of those around him were *worse* people.

I'm not too interested in killing off Norse gods. Frankly, I have a hard time seeing what would justify Kratos heading north for a new spat of deicide. At the moment, I feel as if the original trilogy was a reasonably complete storyline for Kratos. But I did like the gameplay (the story, not so much), so I'll at least take a gander at whatever they put out going forward.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We need Valkyrie Profile 3: Hrist, a chronicle of the third and grouchiest Valkyrie sister and her adventures in dutifully harvesting mortal spirits. The Valkyrie Profile games aren't without overbearing moments and odd tweaks of legend (when was Odin ever a half-elf?), but at least a new one would be about more than Hrist ripping a cyclops eye from its bleeding socket.

I wouldn't call Hrist grouchy. She's more like the obedient eldest daughter type, doing what's expected of her and unquestionably following father dearest's every command. If one had to describe her personality at first glance, she's definitely more aggressive than Lenneth and not exactly fond of "lesser beings". On the other hand, she learned to care for mortals in much the same her sisters did, as was seen in VP Silmeria. A story all about her would indeed be the one people would want to see, as even Covenant of the Plume acknowledged her bitterness at not yet being made the main protagonist of her own story. This happened in the Seraphic Gate, which generally takes comical swipes at the main story and lore of the game it appears in.

And yes, it's best to take the Valkyrie Profile games at face value and be aware the Japanese took some liberties with the Norse pantheon. It's their own spin on the story while still retaining the elements that make the legends so grand to us. Definitely don't use the games as a reference for writing a paper on Norse myth though. XD

Mega Man Legends 2: Well this is certainly an easier and more convenient alternative than trying to hunt down an unopened copy online and expecting it not to cost over $200. I haven't yet played it myself, and I still need to finish Tron Bonne first.

Bravely Second End Layer: I have yet to partake of playing the first game, but this is already shaping up to be a great sequel. I know the removals and alterations of certain aspects have long since gotten everyone in an uproar, but what they have actually changed hasn't affected the major gameplay as far as I know.

Quote:
That said, the localizers haven't abandoned suggestive details entirely. There are monsters called the Ba'al, and Magnolia comes from a warrior cadre called the Ba'al Busters.

Oh come on Todd. Ba'al means "lord", it has nothing to do with testicles. XD

Also Available: I'd been considering wanting to try Code of Princess on my 3DS for some time. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get around to it, after I milk Project X Zone 2 a little longer.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
well, they can have someone who is nto kratos kill the norse gods, preferably a new viking/celtic character, to amke the whole ordeal feel less dumb (unless kratos has already been confirmed in which case I give up).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it's inane and senseless to the point of tepid self-parody,

And most Shumps aren't?

Despite being shallow, repetitious, & niche as hell.

v1cious wrote:
God of War 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. It's Absolutely amazing what those those guys managed to create on ps2 technology. I still need play third one (no next gen console at the moment).

3 was originally released on the PS3 and those are more or less cheap nowadays.

MrTerrorist wrote:
Heck, the Gods have good reason of wanting to stop and kill him when he rebelled since he was ruining the world due to his actions

It's kind of hard not to rebel against a group of not-so-nice-people when the head of said group kills you out of perceived fear that you'll rise up to kill him (even though you were never going to originally). Not to to mention the world only fell into ruin because the other gods chose to fight for the head asshole who wasn't really worth fighting for.

Quote:

Gyrowing sequences are to Star Fox Zero what the Knuckles emerald-collecting bits were to the Sonic Adventure titles: something you merely tolerate and play through so you can eventually get back to the fun parts of action-packed dogfighting.

Someone must of really liked fishing for tailed frogs with a fat, slow witted Cat.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
There are monsters called the Ba'al, and Magnolia comes from a warrior cadre called the Ba'al Busters.

Oh come on Todd. Ba'al means "lord", it has nothing to do with testicles. XD

I thought he was referring to the fact that the term usually is in reference to (a) god(s)...

Also, I should point out that the Bravely Second system has been in place since For the Sequel's release, which is the same release as the EU/NA version. So it's nothing "new".
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I thought he was referring to the fact that the term usually is in reference to (a) god(s)...

I'm teasing. When he said "suggestive", I naturally went with the most blatantly obvious joke for fun. XD

Besides, Nintendo doesn't try to hide the words "god" or "gods" anymore; they stopped that crock long ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3