• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Norn9 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

I don't think the show gave a good explanation of why people with powers are the people qualified to make the decision of resetting the entire world. Most of them seem to be Japanese too despite apparently traveling around the world.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
Has it given a good explanation for anything yet?

There are two choices: reset, not reset. There seem to be three factions (or two or four - I can't really tell): Ron and his group, Daddy Earcuff, and the kids on the World. I'm not entirely sure which option any of these groups favor, but with each power kid having absolute veto power, the not-reset option seems to hold all the cards.
xyz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Don't know what is going on in here but I'm still watching. Once my ship sinks, I will drop this.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote
More reincarnation themes and time plot devices.

Eh, I honestly don't know how the show will end since this felt like a resolution. I think it was also the last reset as well. Slowly starting to like Natsuhiko more now with the way he saved Mikoto. I think he averted a disastrous future for her as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
"I turned myself into a machine and lived a very long life, you have no idea the pain I have felt. Now I will turn you into like me, so you won't feel pain because your loved one will reincarnate too." Wait, there seems to be some disconnect here. She is alive right over there, why didn't he say something like he will give both of them immortality so that you can love each other forever, just don't try to reset the entire world? No need to make it look like he is keeping lovers apart.

Also, don't try to hide that the heroine is like the strongest one in the room and does absolutely nothing. Couldn't she just threaten to roast the boys and say to talk things out instead of whatever was being done to her boy? Looking at a cultural perspective it would be like the US showing Japan to stop being like a dick and talk things out.... rather than whatever it is with the tree that I have not come up with an example yet. The example would probably involve using the word "love", which was getting a bit annoying with how the episode was using it..... and maybe a crack about "wood".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:45 am Reply with quote
Ok, caught up to episode 11 now (I think? I guess 10 was actually a 9.5 recap?).

So... Looks like somebody lied about the reset needing a unanimous vote? I guess going through the doors was how you voted (sneaky!) and our power couple came back out to register their veto, but what about Ron? He never came back at all, so how did he vote? (did he go through doors or not? If he did, he wasn't wearing his shades, which is the only way I can tell him apart)

At any rate, even if they take it back, the world looked kinda reset to me, so I'm not sure why Aion didn't wait for all the votes to be locked in before starting the reset. Kinda late to undo it now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Dialogue I imagined in the last episode:
"It is a good thing we actually managed to save Kakeru, unfortunately he is a coma." "Oh my! Do you think we should tell his girlfriend, I bet she is really depressed and would think he is already dead?" "No, lets wait and surprise her if he manages to wake up. I am sure she wouldn't like to be here and care for the guy with the chance he might still die, rather than be depressed and stare out at the ocean."
Could you imagine if she actually moved on after the 6 months? It is not like she knew him for that long I assume, and logically someone should tell her the chances of him coming back after missing in the middle of the ocean.

But here is the real problem I was kind of having with the show. The characters are kind of selfish. We are told that these are the people that decide what will happen, but little effort is done to show why these guys are so morally great in making that decision. They all seem to come from the same culture, and most of them seem somewhat displaced from the rest of people and don't seem to do anything to help others, just hate war because "war is bad". The end just sort of highlights the wishy washy stance, apparently all war stops because they earlier destroyed the factory making weapons. Right, because if the new weapons are not being made there is no war, that is why we don't see weapons from previous wars sold into new warzones. All that was needed was to blow up the factory, in what I am going to call a terrorist attack, I think they blew up a damn. Anyway, all the powered people who did nothing despite their powers are apparently super able to join the UN and this will make peace. Except apparently the main two characters which are apparently being a good influence by secluding themselves in "nature", because nothing says natural beauty like the crashed ship marooned in the ocean. And not to forget whatever it was that would happen in next timeline, she had to end it because her boyfriend was not there, it kind of felt like she would destroy the world just for him, which kind of clashes with the overall theme.

Am I being too harsh? I just feel like this show really did not sell its main theme. There really was not anything special beyond that. Had maybe some cute stuff, but I also found a bit was creepy, mainly that I found the guy a bit controlling beyond what I was comfortable with. Maybe could have given a bit more personality to the female lead. I give a rating of So-so (5/10). I would still say it is not as bad as some of its genre, but was not a good example either, and could have used some improvement.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
And finished...

Honestly, I'm not sure to feel about this series at all. The time resetting and characterization was all over the place. Although in a way, I did like how they used the music to supplement some of the key scenes of the story.

I was never much of fan of any of the characters in this series either tbh. Oh well...it's not like I was expecting too much from the show after everything that has happened. Rating it more as a so-so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:20 am Reply with quote
So...last episode was all an illusion? Wouldn't it have been simpler and safer to just ask them what their vote was instead of launching this elaborate hallucination and then breaking down when someone votes no? I too did not grasp how no more resets = world peace, since we've never had any resets and our world is hardly peaceful.

Well, at least they got some nice peaches out of all this.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I too did not grasp how no more resets = world peace, since we've never had any resets and our world is hardly peaceful.

The show kind of lost me there, too. At first i thought the "morale" of the story would be f*ck world peace, as long as i can be with my One True Luv~ (except for Sakuya who's destined to be forever alone, apparently...), but then peace was mysteriously achieved just by destroying those weapon factories? Well, what did they need the reset for to begin with?!

But a coherent plot might be too much to expect from this kind of show. It was midly entertaining and i actually managed to finish it without the feeling of having completely wasted my time.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
I've just received the 2-disc Norn9 Anime OST and have been enjoying it (as well as the OP and ED CD singles).

I wasn't always paying attention during the series so I wasn't quite expecting to find Maria Andersson - Vid en Horisont on the OST. There is also a track with some vocalese attributed to a Milly Jones but I haven't been able to identify the singer more.

Has anyone else been listening to the Norn9 anime OST?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3