• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Princess Tutu (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely masterpiece. I honestly think it's the best of its magical girl shoujo genre.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
If you include Utena into the genre I would personally rate Tutu third place behind Utena and PMMM (1st place, my favorite anime series currently). Still it's far superior to my fourth place (Nanoha A's) in the genre (for quite obvious reasons as well, among the magical girl shows I have watched I think that only Tutu, Utena and PMMM have substantial artistic value, though I prefer the super muscular approach of PMMM and the overwhelmingly rich symbolism of Utena over Tutu's elegant fairytale style: these three series are each very different from one another as well, so preference of one over another is a matter of personal taste rather than "technical" quality).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
Image in the water? *have to go check* No, I didn't notice that before... Embarassed

Anyway, I rated the show very good after the first watch, excellent after the second and masterpiece after the third, all done within a few couple of months. (I'm always reluctant to give a masterpiece rating at first watch, wanting to wait and see how and if the show will affect me after some time.) And Princess Tutu continues to affect me to this day. I don't think the fact that you can watch it with your children takes anything of it's brilliance away. It's wonderfully written and constructed and has some of the most likable and "real" characters I ever had the pleasure of rooting for. I used to be a huge theater buff when I was younger, so I was especially delighted about all the references and how they were put to use. I adore this series from beginning to end, I think it conveys a profound and empowering message in a wonderfully poetic way, and I am profoundly sad there is no German and Spanish dub, meaning I will not be able to shower all my friend's and family's children with DVD sets.

And, yes, the English DVD set is quite wonderful and highly recommended.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
Finally, after sitting around on it for months, I finally watched Princess Tutu. No regrets here. This show was amazing. Duck was an absolutely awesome lead (way better than her more popular contemporaries, Sailor Moon and Madoka Kaname) with a bubbly and hopeful personality that kept me rooting for her from start to finish. Fakir turns out to be a legit supporting character on his own and Rue turns into probably the most tragic antagonist of any show I've watched. I loved her from the get-go simply because I thought she had a killer character design but as the series progressed and we see the turmoil with her situation and emotions, I was sincerely pleased when spoiler[she got a happy ending with the Prince].

It's no surprise after watching it that its highly recommended for fans of Madoka Magica. I myself would recommend it for anime fans in general. The ballet scenes could be a bit cheesy and made me want to laugh on several occasions, but the series had such great heart to it that I was never able to stop taking it seriously.

So, if you haven't seen it already, hurry up and either watch it or add it to your Plan To Watch. Unless you only care for fan service and/or have no heart/soul, you'll enjoy this one.
embermoto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
So I am thinking of trying to show Princess tutu at my anime club but I am not sure what episodes to show. Should I start with the first two or are there episodes that would better illustrate what a great show it is? If I did show the first to episodes I would give the club a brief summary of what has happned in the anime up to that point. The reason I am aprehenseive about showing the first two episodes Is the anime club is comprised of alot of boys and I don't want them to be put off by how girly the first two episodes are. Any adivse would be much appreciated.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Ah, man; this is a real toughie..... Just what age range are these boys?
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'm watching Ranma 1/2 right now, and I think Princess Tutu is what Ranma 1/2 could have been if it wanted to be a serious story. There are similarities (whimsical world, secret identity of one's true self, etc.) but one wastes time on repetitive comedy while the other tells a great story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2