• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cerberus (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote

Cerberus (TV)

Genres: Fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: On a continent ruled by sword and magic called Kunaaan, there are three kingdoms with a fragile power balance that could spell disaster and war at any moment. Another power, the evil dragon Daganzord, also resides on the continent, and no one is powerful enough to stop him from spreading destruction and charred land in his wake. Bairo and Kismitete, and a party of wizards attempted to seal the dragon, but were foiled. This event was known thereafter as the Balbagoa Tragedy. Bairo and Kismitete's son Hiiro is saved by Giiru, and Hiiro swears to avenge his parents' deaths and trains himself with the sword. When Hiiro turns 16, he sets out on a journey to slay the dragon, and Giruu accompanies him, having no choice. Along the way, they meet many types of people, and gain companions on their journey.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

The beginning had one of those dark opening scenes with a girl being tortured.
From the story, it has revenge themes in it so not expecting the series to be a happy one. At least Hiiro seems somewhat cool.

This also has a rather strange pacing so far ....so I hope it improves. That fantasy world has quite a bunch of cruel people in it. I hope they do better work with the background storytelling in the future as there may be some potential there. Everything else felt pretty meh.

Last edited by Stark700 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
My gosh that was terrible. Animation was bad. Story seemed like it was written by a fourth-grader. And the direction was awful. Worst of the season so far. Won't even try watching episode 2.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
It is something to see the fantasy setting played straight yet what ended up on screen made me apathetic to the fate of our prince(?) protagonist.

How a show somehow makes my viewing experience see the "ultimate evil dragon" and respond with "well, that happened", the show has clearly done some grave missteps.

This isn't the worst first episode I have seen, but it does perform poorly enough that I am simply not inclined to continue.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I feel satisfaction for being able to recognize that the dude is voiced by Yoshitsugu Matsuoka just from that first hem he did when the guard let him inside the town.. *fist pump* Yeeeaaah.

Anyway it wasn't interesting. Not sure if I'll continue.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Well anime is built on such fantasy stuff, at the very least it is not another transported to another world or school, that is somewhat refreshing.

Though I will complain about double standards in fiction that we are meant to feel bad for the child thief clearly stealing something, and think it is totally justified that the hero says that it is too harsh and then continues to try and kill a bunch of guards that were mostly doing their job. They could maybe try and talk it out, give us a reason why otherwise innocent soldier deserved to be killed rather than a kid part of a group of thieves that were trying to openly steal.

I like the short animal girl villain with a parasol. I have a thing for those type of characters, even for being unlikable.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

You know how people complain about shows that kind of give the feeling that it would turn people into having 8th grade syndrome? This show is definitely that, it has all the hallmarks of kind of a power trip, but the main character within it cannot even use his full power, and he is somewhat arrogant. This mysterious girl has a weird sailor moon like vibe (the series not the character), like they took her out of a different series and placed her in here to act as the feminine version of what the main character is.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

So mysterious girl is pretty crazy, yet probably a homunculus to explain her odd characteristics.

And for some odd reason I started to think the boy who is in charge of the other orphans might secretly be a girl. That might create an interesting character, but I don't know if the show might actually do that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Well that was an okay end, about as in line with the series in general. Cerberus is not a very good anime, it is pretty much really in line with something someone might watch when moving up from something really childish, and into something a bit more mature. Sure it has some more mature elements than something just for kids, but the tone and story elements feel like they are similarly easy to digest like the more child aimed show. The show is not subtle. About one of the only interesting elements was how they showed the lead, Hiiro, as pretty flawed, that no amount of pure unfound confidence in his abilities of a swordsman would make him magically better. Probably ironic was the fact his spoiler[talents lay in magic], something he would fail to take advantage of. Although that sounds good on paper, it had the unfortunate effect of making Hiiro an annoying hero to have, that you cannot help but keep asking why we cannot have a different hero.

Maybe I was on the weird side, but I found my favourite character to be Sharisharu, one of the villains, which might come from the fact she was a loli bodied, animal eared, faux cute character. Looking back, maybe the fact that her character type is something more prevalent in anime for even older audiences, maybe there was a reason she was under the main villain who uses more greedy and adult methods, the adult part being business. Maybe there was a small statement there about adult (not sexual) influences on certain elements, but I could just be looking at it too hard. It is not like I liked everythinig Sharisharu did, it did make me dislike things she did, but she was a fun character.

Animation was nothing special, neither was music, but I did see a number really nice end cards at the end of episodes. One episode was called "Fury Road", was in a desert, and yes had a lightning dust storm, but rather than a shout out it seemed to kind of just take the idea. Looking back several of the episode names seem strangely like movie names, which makes me wonder if episodes had other elements taken from movies, but that might just be coincidence. I rate the show as Not really good, it really wasn't really good, but I think I enjoyed some bits, even if it was kind of ironically.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1