• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Manga Questions & References Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote
Hate to break it to you, but Japan really screwed over Shaman King. The thing was maybe 3 volumes from ending, and SJ cancelled it at v32. But in Japan, they got a new "Kanzenban" edition, which did print the actual ending to the series. Of course, this didn't make it to America, but there are.... other ways to find that. Still, even if you get the Viz releases of 1-32, you still have to go illegal to get the damn actual end of the series.
I haven't seen the anime, but that event sounds like its anime only, I don't seem to recall that fusion (though it's been a while since I've read the manga)
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
The anime actually went off the rails fairly early, sometime during the "get to Patch Village" arc. Lyserg leaving the group for the X-Laws specifically was moved, as he was there when they saw the vision from the past in the manga, which happens later. It's been too long since I saw the anime or read the manga, though, to know where specifically the overall events break off, though.
Svcy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
I have question about Onepunch man manga

I plan to buy the manga but the chapter per volume in wikipedia doesn't match other sources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_One-Punch_Man_chapters

Some sources are around 80 but the wiki says 50+, which is true?

So OPM manga got 10 volumes? the Yuusuke art version

[Edit]: Removed references to copyright breaching site. Errinundra.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
If you read the information available on Wikipedia, it explains the situation.

The original webcomic has 104 chapters (at current, it's not clear on if the webcomic is still running or if it has completely been replaced). When the series became popular, the artist proposed to the author that it be redrawn for the Young Jump Web Comics site.

What Wikipedia lists are the chapters from Young Jump, that were then published into volumes. What the scanlation site has, are the original chapters. Given the publication dates of the most recent volume, the gap between it and the previous, and the usual schedule for publishing Japanese tankoubon, I'd say that the Wikipedia list is accurate within a couple chapters.

If you compare the title to the newest chapter Wikipedia has listed with the newest title listed on the scanlation site, they match up. If you scroll up on both sites, there are also a number of chapters on the scanlation site that appear to be condensed into one chapter in the final tankoubon, such as "Hero Name" (44th Punch according to Wikipedia, listed as 66-68 on the scanlation site). Or "Technique" (46th Punch on Wikipedia), that is "chapters" 72-73 on the scanlation site, yet clearly labeled as "46th Punch".

Furthermore, the scanlation site also includes non-numbered chapters in its listing, resulting in things like "Fighting Spirit" being at chapter 83, yet described as "chapter 80" (Wikipedia has the corresponding chapter, "Pumped Up", at 53, and the final chapter in volume 10).
giniro2002

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
Hello!

OK, so there is this manga, about Alice in Wonderland. However, there are many spin-offs and "parts". It is shoujo, and I really want to read it, but I am confused as to the order in which one should progress through the story.

Please help! Thank you!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:39 am Reply with quote
I'm assuming you mean the Heart no Kuni no Alice (Alice in the Country of Hearts) series. I'm not familiar with the series myself, but rule of thumb is to read it in release order. According to MyAnimeList, only Alice in the Country of Joker: Circus and Liar's Game counts as a sequel to the first, and everything else is just an alternative retelling of the first (I'm going to assume with another of the pretty boys as the focus)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
There are basically three "main series" and then the rest are spin-offs. To get the actual plot, the order is:
Alice in the Country of Hearts (the re-release from Yen Press)
Alice in the Country of Clover: Cheshire Cat Waltz
Alice in the Country of Joker: Circus and Liar's Game

Technically the Alice in the Country of Diamond novel would be the fourth on the list, but you can almost read that at any point. The movie (not licensed) also adds some to the main plot.
giniro2002

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes this is what I wanted! And needed!
giniro2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
So I looked and is there 3 or 6? Because everywhere I read it says that there are 6, but I can only find 5, and it looks like 4 and 5 are in a way out of print.

I am just confused... Confused
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
There are 6 volumes.

Tokyopop released 1-5, but went out of business before releasing 6.

Yen Press rescued the license, and released it in 3 omnibus volumes (so, 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6).
giniro2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Dessa!!
Chong McAfee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Is this true? They will release this in English?!!! I have Korean version of the entire series but would love to own English verdsion. Please, please let it be true!!!
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
So I got a question. Are the Spice and Wolf novels and manga the same or different? By that I mean do they cover the same material or not? Obviously one is a LN series and the other manga. I just want clarification if they cover the same material or not so I don't buy both sets and get the same basic material. If they are different has anyone read them and have a recommendation on which to start first?
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
So I got a question. Are the Spice and Wolf novels and manga the same or different? By that I mean do they cover the same material or not? Obviously one is a LN series and the other manga. I just want clarification if they cover the same material or not...

The Japanese Wikipedia's Spice and Wolf article has a part about how the manga version corresponds to the LNs.
It is:

Volume 1 of the manga:
Equivalent to the early part of the LN's Volume 1.

Volume 2 of the manga:
Equivalent to the middle part of the LN's Volume 1.

Volume 3 of the manga:
Equivalent to the latter part of he LN's Volume 1 and the early part of the LN's Volume 2.

Volume 4 of the manga:
Equivalent to the early part and the middle part of the LN's Volume 2.

Volume 5 of the manga:
Equivalent to the middle part and the latter part of the LN's Volume 2.

Volume 6 of the manga:
Equivalent to the latter part of the LN's Volume 2. Also containing the side story 'Wolf and Amber Melancholy'.

Volume 7 of the manga:
Equivalent to a part of the LN's Volume 3 and the early part and the middle part of the LN's Volume 4.

Volume 8 of the manga:
Equivalent to the contents from the latter part of the LN's Volume 4 to the early part of the LN's Volume 8.
But the contents of Volume 5 and volume 6 were simplified, and a part of the settings was integrated with the contents of Volume 8.

Volume 9 of the manga:
Equivalent to the contents from the the early part of the LN's Volume 8 to the latter part of the LN's Volume 8.

Volume 10 of the manga:
Equivalent to the contents from the latter part of the LN's Volume 8 to the middle part of the LN's Volume 9.
But it contains many elements of the manga's own.

Volume 11 of the manga:
Equivalent to the contents from the middle part of the LN's Volume 9 to the the early part of the LN's Volume 14.
But the contents of the LN's Volume 10 were excluded. The contents of the LN's Volume 12 are told by Lawrence.

Volume 12 of the manga:
Equivalent to the contents from the early part of the LN's Volume 14 to the latter part of the LN's Volume 14.

Volume 13 of the manga:
Equivalent to the contents from the early part of the LN's Volume 15 to the latter part of the LN's Volume 15.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 43 of 45