• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
D.Gray-man Hollow (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:42 am Reply with quote

D.Gray-man Hollow (TV)

Genres: action, supernatural
Themes: exorcists, superpowers

Plot Summary: Towards the end of the 19th century, Allen Walker officially joins the organization of Exorcists that destroy the beings known as Akuma—mechanic weapons made by the Millennium Earl with the suffering souls of the dead. Allen has both a cursed eye and an anti-Akuma weapon as an arm, bearing the power of "Innocence," a gift given to him as an apostle of God. Allen, along with his fellow Exorcists must put a stop to the Millennium Earl's ultimate plot that could lead to the destruction of the world and all who live on it.
----------------------------------

After all these years, D Gray Man gets more anime and it's a sequel/continuation! Very surprised and it will have scripts by Michiko Yokote.

As a fan of D Gray Man, I am very excited for the show. The preview looks good so far too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Looks like they're skipping quite a lot of content with rearranging. Not surprised considering the time gap I guess..

OP song is nice especially with the choreography. Something that does worries me a bit is the pacing here considering some anime original content. Meanwhile, episode did a nice job at reintroducing the characters like Allen, Lenalee, etc. The comedy seems somewhat less compared to what I remember from the original. I think it's a good start so far, not extraordinary but definitely has a nice D Graymanish feel to it.

ED theme song is nice.Overall good episode imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
New voices are really gonna take some getting used to...

It's been awhile since I've seen the anime or read the manga, so I can't quite remember what was established before this and what wasn't (I don't remember Howard being in the first series but here he's just kinda there with no explanation).

This is the point where the manga becomes really convoluted and hard to follow. Hopefully the anime will clear some things up.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I don't remember Howard being in the first series but here he's just kinda there with no explanation.

He was in the first anime. Only in the last nine episodes, I believe, but they did adapt all the way through to the end of the Headquarters Invasion arc.

Though it's been rearranged a bit for the purpose of reintroduction (and poor neglected Lavi got inserted into a couple scenes), this is essentially the immediate next plot-related material in the manga. They skipped over the goofy zombie arc, but that was just silly fun meant as a breather between serious arcs, since it contributed nothing beyond a couple of nice character beats for Komui. (Though it is my desperate wish that that arc gets made into an OVA, because it's pretty hilarious.)

I think they also skipped over some Noah family stuff, though I assume that's because they didn't want to reopen with focus on the villains? (I'm not 100% sure though. I reread the manga from the beginning a little bit ago, but I didn't get around to rewatching the anime, so maybe they included some of that stuff at the very end and I'm just forgetting. But I feel like I remember being disappointed in it not being included when the first anime ended...)
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
This is the point where the manga becomes really convoluted and hard to follow. Hopefully the anime will clear some things up.

Personally, the point where the manga got impossible to follow was the Alma Karma arc. It did not help that the release schedule became... irregular, to say the least.

I forgot: Did they already recruit that kid with spoiler[the mind control innocence]?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:11 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Personally, the point where the manga got impossible to follow was the Alma Karma arc.

Which is the main arc this show is focusing on.

Raftina wrote:
I forgot: Did they already recruit that kid with spoiler[the mind control innocence]?

No, that arc starts next episode.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote
Wow, the new cast is going to take some getting used to. It's so weird hearing Hinata's voice as Allen. ^^; I also really need Sakurai and Suzumura as Kanda and Lavi. Satou's voice seems too deep for Kanda, and as much as I enjoy Hanae, Lavi = Suzu. Konishi's Komui was memorable too.

Anyway, I didn't realize that this was going to be a continuation. Considering the first series aired like 10 years ago, I think it would have been nice if they refreshed our memories a bit instead of jumping right into it. I only remember the very basics of the series, and I imagine new viewers are at a total loss as to what's going on and who the characters are.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I think they did a good job at balancing the comedy and the seriousness of the show. So yeah, I'm getting used to the voice acting still in particular with Allen still. Meanwhile, we get the appearance of a level 4 Akuma! Exciting.

Also, this series' OP song has been growing on me lately and has slowly becoming one of my favorites this season.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I just finished this show. It was good. It's a shame it ended right when it started to get really interesting. In, at least, some parts of the show the pacing felt a bit too fast in my opinion. The whole deal with Alma was a bit lacking in execution in my opinion. He was introduced so late into this series and it all got resolved so quickly. Before I managed to get into any of it, it was already over. I don't really get why Alma wanted Kanda dead so much anyway.

At first I thought the opening was just good, but now I think it might be my favourite D.Gray-man opening. I like the new uniforms. I like what they did with Allen's eyes and I liked Lenalee's new haircut. Her haircut in the final episode sucked though and Kanda agrees. Laughing I'm kinda glad that Kanda came back. What would D.Gray-man be without the grumpy Kanda?

I hope we'll get some more D.Gray-man anime in the future, but it'll probably take a while for them to get enough material for another season. I don't know how well Hollow did, but I don't expect to see more. An OVA is the most I could hope for.

P.S. Does the thing with Kanda and Alma count as a gay pairing?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1