• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Bandai Namco's Anime Wave

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Persona 2 and the spin-off Catherine explored the lives of adult characters

Do remember that half the cast of Persona 2 were high school characters. The difference though that the game written at time when JRPG's weren't dominated with anime cliches like they are now. Persona 2 is still the best story and character-wise of the series (that gameplay has aged terribly though).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
Shadow of the Beast gets a mention but no love for Doom? Come on, it's Doom.

Granted, I can count the number of Japanese FPSes on one hand, but Doom deserves a mention.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
And the Rest: As I said before, it'll be great to get more God Eater here; the gaming gods know we needed more of the series released overseas. Rage Burst is going to be high on many a longtime fan's list (including the impatient folks who imported the Japanese version and struggled to play through the language barrier).

Also Available: Shadow of the Beast's main protagonist has a wicked monster design, even back in the old days. The remake will of course have gobs of blood, guts and gore, but it's not like the original game was sunshine and butterflies. It's only natural to make the game darker in its content (and the original game definitely had a creepy and unnerving design).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
While I wouldn't mind a Persona focused on adults, I also don't expect one anytime soon. Persona 3 and 4 were quite successful and spawned numerous rereleases and spinoffs, so I can't imagine the developers would be eager to deviate from something that clearly works for them. They could do that with Catherine since it is separate from anything else the studio made.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fans actively debate whether her relationship with Phoenix is pure friendship or a case of stifled crushes,

There is literally no debate concerning Phoenix and Maya's relationship as there is absolutely no romantic tension of any sort between them which still manages to drive the more annoying quirk of Pearl's character. Now if we're talking Iris from Trials and Tribulations that's a horse of a different color.....but of course they went nowhere with it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
The announcing of Hamtaro being debuted in Story of Seasons got him a quick trend on Facebook a couple nights earlier. I was amazing that many people still remember the TV shows even years after its abrupt end. Surprised
Gden

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Was anyone else really hoping BN would announce a release date for the next Digimon game?
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Granted, I can count the number of Japanese FPSes on one hand, but Doom deserves a mention.

Doom is a very American game, isn't it? I'm actually rather surprised Shadow of the Beast gets a mention, since it's also not a Japanese game. I guess European is just exotic enough to be worth a mention. Razz

But yes, the original Shadow of the Beast was a rather shallow game, though I rather liked the atmosphere, of which it had tons. That's why I preordered this one, and I'm anxiously awaiting the chance to try it.

I swear: if they slap on another 90 days to the countdown....
KH91

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Makoto is the new Persona waifu. All shall bow to her greatness.

Gden wrote:
Was anyone else really hoping BN would announce a release date for the next Digimon game?

No. Because that would be announced later on in the year(around TGS) like Cyber Sleuth.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Quote:

Do remember that half the cast of Persona 2 were high school characters. The difference though that the game written at time when JRPG's weren't dominated with anime cliches like they are now. Persona 2 is still the best story and character-wise of the series (that gameplay has aged terribly though).

Catherine is not a spin-off of Persona 2. Vincent just makes a cameo in the game, it does not actually have anything officially to do with persona.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

Doom is a very American game, isn't it? I'm actually rather surprised Shadow of the Beast gets a mention, since it's also not a Japanese game. I guess European is just exotic enough to be worth a mention. Razz

But yes, the original Shadow of the Beast was a rather shallow game, though I rather liked the atmosphere, of which it had tons. That's why I preordered this one, and I'm anxiously awaiting the chance to try it.

I swear: if they slap on another 90 days to the countdown....

Doom is as American as apple pie and machine guns, and I happen to like Shadow of the Beast' atmosphere, particularly the music. But Doom is a way bigger deal, so I figured it warranted at least a mention. Beast might be a fun download, particularly as I remember the Atari Lynx version of all ports.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
Wow, just what we need Todd having to moan and groan about anime stuff from an anime styled game in an anime website. Let's not forget his fixation on adults being the solution to make JRPG's great again. Rolling Eyes
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
I think Western culture generally gravitates towards adult ages, at least as far as aging hobbyists are concerned. You see a lot of complaints about things like why their children franchises haven't grown up with them. Whether its entitlement, loss of childhood imagination, or feel embarrassed to still enjoy things from their childhood. That's why every Hollywood adaption of childhood shows have to be all serious and dark now, including superhero movies.

Personally for me I'm an adult so if I wanted an adult life I would just look at my own. That's one of the appeals of the Persona series, which has been about high school students since the first game. Really the age of the protagonist never really matter to me though, I care more about story and characters than how old they are.

-Stuart Smith
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Is it really Doom? Where is the monster in-fighting? The labyrinthine maps? The endless barrage of user-generated WADs with their own quirks and compatibility issues?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:32 am Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
Themaster20000 wrote:
Quote:

Catherine is not a spin-off of Persona 2. Vincent just makes a cameo in the game, it does not actually have anything officially to do with persona.

Catherine was a spin-off of Persona 3 Portable. Vincent didn't appear in either of the PS2 versions of Persona 3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3