• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
Ecchan is too adorable! I like her tough side too but she can be quite amusing to watch when she acts all girly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
And Ohta was a perfect shoujo-manga prince :D My heart is all aflutter~

Tanaka making uncharacteristic expressions behind his mask was a great gag.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Ecchan. Ecchan. Seriously, how did they manage to get so much mileage out of one word? Even without seeing their expressions, you could sense their enjoyment of the mouth-feel of the word spilling over their teeth, and how it tickled their ears. Ecchan. Laughing

How in the world did Tanaka ever imagine he had the energy to zip between raindrops? I was dumbfounded that he could move that fast even once, let alone three times. And yes, poor umbrella and its crushed pride. Perhaps even worse than the indignity of being turned inside out by a disrespectful gust of wind.

The reviewer is going to be pulling her hair out over all the long takes this episode, but as usual, they were splendid.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Well there goes the Miyano and Echizen ship. Which I only really let get to me after reading some things after last week. I am keeping the Google Image page open.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

That study hall session was hilarious. And that English exercise! Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs? Also, Shiraishi's word list was pretty outrageous. The drug names aside, I had to look up furbelow, falcula and diablerie to confirm they were real words. Smile

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun May 29, 2016 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
lys

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The winning gag this time for me was Tanaka getting lost during the fire drill. The shots of him standing aimlessly in strange spaces had me laughing and laughing :D
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti

When I was in college, we had a concert by a group of madrigal singers. At one point they paused between songs and the leader stepped up to the microphone and carefully explained the meaning of the Elizabethan word "furbelow". They then proceeded to sing, in multipart harmony, a song titled "Adam Caught Eve by the Furbelow".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Just the idea that Tanaka thought he could be Ohta to an injured Ohta was worth a laugh. Also Echizen actually being undoubtedly nice.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Was waiting for the inevitable reveal of both siblings with Ohta's sister also.

I too can appreciate the calming nature of a fast-food restaurant seating area in what can otherwise be a busy city area. After jumping the hoop of ordering food you can just relax at a table and nibbling at food. The milkshakes can be very thick too, I think they can be known as thickshakes. Been a while since I have been to one though.

Can Tanaka reach level 1 gorilla?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

The swimming kids were funny, but I think I was having too many side thoughts to really get into the rest of the episode as usual. Like kimono shops don't do alterations? How does being short prevent you from seeing what's going on in the sky? I'm short (not quite that short) and fireworks are good wherever you're in visual range of them. Also wasn't pleased with the shaved ice shampoo. That just didn't fit either character.

The fireworks themselves were really great. I can't remember an anime that has done the sound design for fireworks that perfectly. Usually the explosions are muted or tinny, more like firecrackers. These had a resonance that put you right in the scene.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:38 am Reply with quote
Okay, this might go a bit into yuri fanboy like mode or something, perhaps reading too much into things, or other things that people may not like, but the relationship with Miyano and Echizen is a little interesting. I think that I feel pretty confident that Miyano is romantically interested in Echizen, not just wanting to look cool and mature. Miyano was excited to go on a date with Echizen, and wanted to look cool and sexy (for her). She so wants it that she is willing to call in two guys to help her with the shopping rather than Echizen, she calls Shiraishi into it presumably also because she knows that she likes Tanaka. She also sees no problem with inviting the guys to the event as she is pretty platonic with them. But on the other side, although Echizen thinks Miyano was cute and wanted to be with her, she clearly has a different reaction to them to what she has with Miyano in blushing, maybe complicating some things. Perhaps headcanon but I am building that this web in my head.

The episode was pretty funny, I laughed at a good amount of jokes. Like Miyano seeing that the shoes could help with her height, and Ohta taking it to the funny conclusion of recommending tenga shoes. And the fitting really not working with Miyano with the shoes not going to be able to help.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
The fireworks themselves were really great. I can't remember an anime that has done the sound design for fireworks that perfectly. Usually the explosions are muted or tinny, more like firecrackers. These had a resonance that put you right in the scene.

Yeah, those were good sounding fireworks.
lys

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The swimming kids were funny, but I think I was having too many side thoughts to really get into the rest of the episode as usual. Like kimono shops don't do alterations? How does being short prevent you from seeing what's going on in the sky? I'm short (not quite that short) and fireworks are good wherever you're in visual range of them. Also wasn't pleased with the shaved ice shampoo. That just didn't fit either character.

A kimono is made up of all straight rectangle shapes, so I think you'd need to de- and re-construct the whole thing to get it to fit a smaller size, trimming each of the two panels that make up the front, and the same for the back, and then for each sleeve, and then making sure the collar piece stops at the correct length on the torso... And yeah, maybe the shops can do that (though maybe not on such short notice) but with all that, it probably does just make more sense to start from scratch.

I found the shaved ice shampoo fitting, as far as Echizen-is-secretly-a-shoujo-manga-heroine characterization goes, and Ohta being remarkably oblivious at times (like also not recognizing Shiraishi again this ep because her hair was arranged differently.)

Ohh, Ohta's tengu-shoes line!! I was surprised to see him deliver a joke like that, and was all the more amused because of my surprise :)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

It is nice how the series can set up a joke that it can make me laugh at in its characteristic low energy way. Like the instant humour of knowing that with a cultural festival that he would want to avoid work, that he essentially put a lot of work into doing no work of being in being invisible, and it getting him more attention. Plus there was maid Echizen and bakeneko Miyano.

Also Shiraishi got to see the goods.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Finished the show today.

Overall, a comfy series to watch on the weekends and Tanaka gets me sleepy whenever I watch him. Surprisingly, I like that delinquent girl Echizen the most out of all the characters for some reason lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I love the moment when Tanaka is so confident he will make it through the seat change, and then it just flashes to him in front row middle seat, right in front of the teacher who is saying that the amount of listlessness is hurting his feelings because of course Tanaka does not want to be there. I think that is the fastest we have seen Tanaka move when seeing that Miyano is stuck in the back behind Ohta and is unable to see past him. Some of the bits of him down by what the others could do for him when they are with him may have seemed a bit out of place, but I think it was a key part they had to show that although he likes things calm and easy, he does not actually hate the people around him. It was kind of the feeling the OP always gave across, which is why it fit so well as the last send off.

Okay, this might sound odd, but I am rating Tanaka-kun is Always Listless as Very good (8/10), because I think as a project as a whole it takes one thing and just excels at it. The show is super listless, it has kind of run counter to Sakamoto-san which is really high energy and lives off ridiculous moments. The odd thing is that Sakamoto started out feeling strong while Tanaka felt kind of weak, while the end these pretty unchanged polar opposites have kind of switched, it was not so fun to watch the perfect Sakamoto, while flawed Tanaka kind of grows onto you. The personalities feel like they clash with Tanaka's personality in a meaningful way, and the humour comes from things not always going his way, or that everyone who knows him can see where he is going with something.

The first scene of every episode finishes with an anticlimax which then listlessly fades into the opening song, and sets up the mood of every episode, that there are no big cuts, this a show that takes itself slow, so sit back and just relax. The OP also fading back into the rest of the show. As much as Tanaka is allowed to dictate how the pacing of the show is in general, it does not mean that the all the characters are. I found humour in the various ways characters input their own energy into the show, whether it is Ohta effortlessly carrying Tanaka and commenting on him, Miyano's total counter high energy little body moments (a favourite part was her as a bullet), Echizen's fake delinquent act, Shiraishi's problems of her inner dweeb, or some of the others we probably did not get enough time with. I felt somewhat representative with the ED, especially one of the moments that is suddenly very high energy and contrasts with Tanaka, it flashes by with images of a sweating Shirashi, a large animated bear, backfilling Ohta, and something with a spinning Miyano.

Also with the ED I must mention the animated grass that looks so good, which brings me to the next point, animation. Yeah this show is listless, from the concept alone you know it is going to be low animated, but this was helmed by Silver Link, an animation studio that I have been finding myself drawn to regardless of level of animation (not that everything has been the best). Things move less in Tanaka-kun than other shows, although it is perfectly in line with the mood, but I would actually look to some of the settings that left me a few times thinking how nice the area looks. That school looks real fancy, and in general the show was nice to look at.

By the standards of many shows Tanaka-kun is Always Listless does not succeed, but I really think that this was a case that it created its own standards and did everything to push its one core concept: low energy. And for that I think it succeeded past other anime that did what we expect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3