• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ad blocker bypassing ads?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
Hi,

I have like three different ad blockers on my web browser (firefox), but I'm still seeing ads in the righthand column (Samurai Armor Hoodies, etc.). They're similar to articles but clearly say "ad" on them. Is there any way to block these? I really hate advertisements.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
It's an "advertorial" (a sponsored article) not an off-site ad, so appears the same way as other site content.
I doubt anyone at ANN is going to help you with blocking adverts, since adverts are one of the main things keeping the lights on around here.
If you subscribe you can turn off adverts, although I don't know if that applies to advertorials.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I want to buy a subscription. Heck, I tried to buy two for Christmas, one as a gift.

They require Visa, mastercard, American Express, or Discover.

I have cash and debit.

A lot of younger people (and anime fans are typically younger than the average consumer) do not have credit cards. ANN is turning away a big revenue stream by insisting on them. So no, I feel no remorse at turning off their ads. I have money for the site if they decide to accept it from me.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
You know you can use Paypal to subscribe and link your debit card to Paypal?
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

That only works for one time payments such as purchases.

Since the subscription is auto-renewing (a very lucrative thing for any company), it requires a credit card. More specifically, if you go to https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr it ONLY allows you to enter credit cards, despite it being the section marked "credit or debit".
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know the subscription here was auto renewing. I learn something new every day. Though if you link your bank account to Paypal, you can get around that. I don't have a credit card linked to Paypal and have several recurring payments via it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Being a subscriber doesn't block the Advertorials, however, they are clearly marked. If you don't click on them you will never see the content. Getting upset that they exist is a bit extreme.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
st_owly wrote:

That only works for one time payments such as purchases.

Since the subscription is auto-renewing (a very lucrative thing for any company), it requires a credit card. More specifically, if you go to https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr it ONLY allows you to enter credit cards, despite it being the section marked "credit or debit".

Wow, I did NOT know that. Thanks for telling us. The subscription is not even auto-renewing; the only reason for using the Paypal subscription mechanism is that on the site we present it as a subscription. If I had known we were blocking out debit card users, I would've used the one-time payment option. 20/20 hindsight. Unfortunately I have other more urgent things on my plate now, but I'll try to fix this when I can.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1