• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace Attorney (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
It was a good episode, indeed, but because of how it developed Mitsurugi/Edgeworth (I'll be using the Japanese names since I'm watching that version and not familiar with the game besides the memes). I was hoping Naruhodo/Phoenix would be a bit more competent but he's growing bit by bit. I kind of disliked Mitsurugi at first because of his stance on "persecuting the innocent" (no better way to word it) but this episode turned that around. The speech by the little kid was effective in bringing out his humanity, I guess.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I kind of disliked Mitsurugi at first because of his stance on "persecuting the innocent" (no better way to word it) but this episode turned that around. The speech by the little kid was effective in bringing out his humanity, I guess.

I think that is the general feeling of getting from him, that you feel like he is a prick for fighting so hard persecute people who were likely innocent. But what we saw here is that at his heart he has a strong belief in justice, he wants to make sure bad guys get what they deserve, and for him that is the defendant. We could see earlier that he was indeed a fan of the Steel Samurai as he had a statue in his office, and it was the kid that reminded him of it and realising that the bad guy is not necessarily the one accused. Realising the real villain he worked to get them, and his comments to Naruhodo at the end probably about being annoyed that he might make him think the people he made get put away may have actually been innocent.

If you looked at the preview you may have an idea of what is going to happen next.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

I got some laughs from this episode. When you mix in the Loch Ness monster with Santa shenanigans along with some indoor training, then you get some wacky storytelling. Then again, I find it somewhat interesting that bitter rivals Naruhodou and Mitsurugi are teaming up against allies.

The problem? Some guy named Karuma Go who apparently hasn't lost a case in his 40 year career...

Bet this will be Naruhodou's toughest case to crack yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I liked the part at the beginning with Maya trying to achieve meditating under a waterfall inside the kitchen, her taking his advice to ask firemen instead, and coming back saying that they yelled at her. Her character is a lot of fun.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, the show does have a decent blend of comedy and seriousness. Outside of the court, it's comedic and mostly serious in the courtroom (save for that one episode with Mitsurugi and Granny Security Guard). I like the mix a lot more now since it doesn't feel as jarring and the show knows when to be serious.

But, onto the episode itself, as with every arc, the first one is mostly set up. I do like how they're involving Mayoi and raising the stakes a bit here. The development of Mitsurugi last episode and his involvement this time makes this seem like a good final arc (if it is 12-13 episodes). There's been a bit of buildup towards this, too -- IIRC, there was a scene in a previous episode where Mitsurugi spoke with his mentor and the mentor warned him about failing. That raises some flags about a potential second culprit.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Oh looks like the latest case is going to be extended a bit.

I like the witness though, hope to see more of that. Got some mixed feelings about the episode although I did like the comedy of it and the courtroom debate was rather tense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

I think Yahari kinda saved the day there.

So Mitsurugi was framed for murder during that night at the boat. I didn't think it was a big surprise but it'll be interesting to see who the real culprit is. Next episode should be the climax for the trial. Also, I think Sayuri (the parrot) is awesome. Hope we see more of him this season.!

Episode 11-12

While the case got more complicated, it still made some clues obvious about the culprit. This especially comes with the usage of the gun, bullet, etc.

Glad to see them finally solving it in the end though. Phew, that was perhaps one of the toughest cases yet so far. Naruhodou and Mitsurugi can surprisingly make a good team in weird places imo. This arc has been surprisingly quite entertaining and Karuma really underestimated his opponents.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
The whole resolution to the Karuma Go arc was a bit rushed towards the end. The whole reveal felt a bit sudden and I think it might have been better to stretch it into two episodes, especially since that this week's episode was a bit of a filler episode. And in regards to this episode, which I enjoyed, I really wished it was shown earlier. I think it might have benefited the show to reveal this information earlier.

And since we're getting another episode next week, I assume this is a two cour show? I had thought this was a single cour so I was more accepting of the rush the DL6 case but I think the pacing for that part is a problem in resolving the case now.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:50 am Reply with quote
No Emma? Boooooooo-urns.

Since it is two cours and they used one for a single game then yeah it'll be a bit rushed if they want to fit the next two games in.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 14:

Not sure what I think about the new theme songs yet but I think they could work out fine. So we get new case and it involves Mayoi this episode. How interesting turn of events with some "supernatural" phenomenon. However, I think there's some foul play going around there as well. Should be interesting to see how they will deal with the case.

Oh and Mayoi looked adorable in her outfit imo.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 14

Although I have been a bit familiar with the franchise, I actually have not played any more, this is new to me, so as far as character names I will probably start using the Japanese names for new characters introduced since that is the version I am watching.

Is it just me, or has there been a slight shift in direction? It kind of feels like they have taken more advantage of the series' style of using reactions and being campy. The OP felt like a specific example where they decided to focus on the tone of the franchise instead of things like Phoenix/Naruhodo running in a more pure narrative standpoint, which is not its strength,

Because I actually don't know anymore, I think that I feel open enough to actually theorise along with the episodes in figuring things out, even if a lot of the episode so far have all been about twists that would be hard to spot coming. Clearly Maya spoiler[won't have been the real "culprit", even if saying she was possessed, So Maya has likely been set up, either by the sister of the nurse, or by who I think is more likely, Maya's aunt. From the episode it felt like her aunt was a little annoyed by having to refer to Maya as "sama", which along with being so quick to want to handle Maya at the scene yet to get the police called, makes me think it seems up that alley. That the sister was sleepy, having said she felt unwell after eating lunch, makes me think that perhaps her and Maya were drugged, Maya being left in a susceptible state of mind for manipulation. Although someone else was probably there.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale)

Kind of strange that this last case had a "Guilty" be the desired ending. I know it was the truth and all, plus his Maya/Mayoi was kidnapped but Naruhodo could have tried to look a little less happy about his client being found guilty.

In general the show was not quite good, these condensed murder mysteries were a little clumsy in that they did not translate over well from their source material. Animation had some trouble, and it just kind of did not try really hard. What I did like was the kind of silly style that you could get into once you got past the faults in logic, and just kind of enjoy how it could be over the top. A good Objection! can be pretty infectious, just google imaging it comes up with the meme that is the spirit of this franchise. I like how they translated the humour and character actions from the games, these are things that have popped up before with No Game No Life doing a parody of the signature line and judge, or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in mimicking the sprites, and it was good that this series at least went beyond what had been parodied. Bursts of wind and removing the static positions of the actions.

But I think it fails to actually make up a number of its downsides. It has had an interesting release with its dual subtitles tracks of a standard direct translation and one that uses the localized words. I give a rating of Decent (6/10), I did not lose my time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 23 (finale)

Yeah, a sequel, that I did not feel much of a need to talk about much in the forums. A lot of the season was about the history of the characters. Episodes 13 to 16 being pretty much prequels to the story, and the following 7 episodes being events and a case relevant to what happened before, some rather interesting twists that I think was more interesting than a lot that happened in the first half. Tied up with a nice bow that that the nice girl Naruhodo thought he was dating that turned out to be a monster, was in fact the nice twin Ayame who did like him. Gets a bit twisted when thinking that Maya still saw her mother killed right in front of her, and Harumi has a sister in Ayame that didn't seem to come up.

I don't think that I will really be marking this with higher points than the first season, but if I am not mistaken I do think that it managed to lean more into the crazy things like gusts of wind and such from yelling "objection", and felt maybe more lively. I give it a rating of Decent (6/10), I don't think you are going to lose your time if you already thought that about the first season.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I know it's a game that people are very familiar with but this is an ANIME now... How about putting some damn effort into this thing?

The crappy animation treatment is actually forgivable to me but the lack of explanation of the way the world works Onlinesbi TutuApp aadhar card is not. It really does seem to be a "guilty until proven innocent" set-up but I can't quite get a grasp of how extreme the situation is supposed to be. So far it's like The Sccoby gang defending a guest of a week from a sneering baddie... set in a shiny happy police state.

Yeah, it might all work in a game largely made accessible for early teens but this is an adaptation... How about trying to adapt the story into something that actually makes sense on its own?
Apparently there are no discovery rules in Japanese law?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3