• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Joker Game (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But good lord, that crossword. Yikes. I have no idea how such puzzles work in Japanese, but whoever laid that out didn't have the first clue about how they work in English. Very Happy I don't believe I've ever seen a 15 x 15 grid with only 10 black spaces.

A lot of the words seen at the end looked like they were total gibberish, I can't even tell what we were focusing on. What does "LIAE" mean? Or was it "SELIAE"?

One thing I keep wondering is where the racism is. This was right in WW2, I doubt people are going to be nice to lone Japanese men, just look at Loony Tunes of the time.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I think we're still in 1939, aren't we? That was a Japanese ship (Tokimaru) sailing for Hawaii, so I'm sure he wasn't the only Japanese person aboard. EDIT: Turns out it's June of 1940, and they were sailing from San Francisco to Japan, with a stopover in Honolulu.

And yes, most of the entries in the puzzle were gibberish, mostly because there needed to be spaces between some of the words to make them actual words. The SE belongs to the word "cease" so the darkened word is LIAE? LIRE? Is that Engrish for "Liar"? (rhymes with fire) Or did he add a serif only to the short line in F and it's LIFE??

Actually, looking at it again, it's not quite as bad as I'd thought. They just seemed to think that numbers separate words, but not always. Like one row reads M_NVIEWCOREEYES, which is 4 words, but the W is also numbered to start the word "walk" at 27 Down. Like I said, it's a mess. Smile Still, they did match up the clue and answer for 54 Down! "Exile to ....punishm..." = "Banish" Very Happy
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

The storytelling about the D-Agency is more interesting imo compared to the other parts of the plot so far. Could be something bigger to develop soon too after this episode. I also find the quote "Kill without hesitation. Die with honor" to be rather motivational, a way to drive its agents to fight till the end.

Also using chess to identify certain character personalities seems interesting in this show along with the dialogues referencing to the Joker Game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I also find the quote "Kill without hesitation. Die with honor" to be rather motivational, a way to drive its agents to fight till the end.

But that's the Wind Agency's mantra. D-Agency goes by "Don't die. Don't kill."

Whether he wants to or not, I think Akutsu will be playing a double joker game, since it looks to me like spoiler[Gamou is the 9th face in the OP. That suggests that he's either already part of D-Agency, or soon will be. I'm thinking maybe the latter, since if he were already in Yuuki's group, I don't think he would've killed his informant.]

Heh, this is kind of like how the CIA, NSA and FBI don't act like they're on the same side half the time. Who gets credit is more important than sharing intel.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:06 am Reply with quote
Well the wind agency fits the sort of mantra that seemed to be part of the Japanese ideal of acting honourable in beating foes and being beaten oneself, kind of like a samurai. D-Agency kind of avoid collateral damage, which I think is kind of nicer, but also part of a more interesting idea of simply doing the job and leaving no trail that they were there to begin with, which is like a ninja. Against what some pop culture ideas, ninja were not soldiers and the more the appearance of not being one was the weapon. I think I am going off a tangent.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Heh, I find it funny at how they compare the D-Agency and the Wind Agency.

I think this week's episode was alright. First half bored me a little but I like the mind games coming from Yuki with his intimidating words. To me, Yuki is like the chessmaster, the type of guy that stays ahead of the game. It's hard to take eyes off of him literally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what they did with Gamou? Twisted Evil

I could've sworn I saw Kaminaga in the group sitting next to the guy with glasses. I dunno if that was just more same-face/hair or if they planted him (which would have required him "killing" someone to get in, I guess), but since Kaminaga was one of the ones they said detained the guys outside, it makes me think it might've been him.

Anyway, I enjoyed that thoroughly.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Wind Agency done messed up. Did not even realise the game that they were playing.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

That was..quite a background story, a bit confusing in ways about Yuuki as I didn't feel like we learned too much about him.

I mean, it seemed to be more about Akira and feels like part of his story was used by Yuuki as a way of storytelling. The wife is such a good person though. Still at least we did learn some origins about the D-Agency this episode and I was definitely intrigued by it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 10:

That was..quite a background story, a bit confusing in ways about Yuuki as I didn't feel like we learned too much about him.

With the blatant Alice in Wonderland motif, from a story telling standpoint that certainly was the intention, did we learn Yuuki's "real" backstory, was it all just a feign, does it really matter as long as we the viewers continue to be intrigued by the fictitious D-agencies exploits.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I mean, it seemed to be more about Akira and feels like part of his story was used by Yuuki as a way of storytelling. The wife is such a good person though. Still at least we did learn some origins about the D-Agency this episode and I was definitely intrigued by it.

Although it looks like he got the wrong man, I feel like most of the story was actually real, but I don't know where it stopped and ended. Yuuki got the caretaker to memorise the story, but might it have otherwise been true for Yuuki?

In the episode I was starting to think that perhaps there is some secret society of spy masters subtly influencing the different countries to some end without actually taking any one side. Imagine if Yuuki was actually a double agent all along and does not only catch Japanese officers damaging their war effort, but on a grander scale is doing the same to for the other side, a spy who was too likely to actually get captured and reveal information. It feels kind of in line that we might find out we have not known what the game is the entire time.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

I like how they explore the different parts of the world during this time period, Germany included.

Felt like this episode was quite thrilling with that Maki guy being a subject of the story. I also like how they take the storytelling from different point of views, not just from Japan's side. RIP sweet prince...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
So now we know how Yuuki lost his arm. That man has 9 lives and balls of steel. :D

Poor Miyoshi. I kept expecting it to be a Romeo/Juliet fake-out somehow. I guess not (would've been a cheap way out anyway). Live on the edge in constant danger of being caught and killed...and end up dying in a stupid accident. C'est la vie, I guess. :(
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I can't believe they killed the only character whose name I remembered (apart from Yuuki, obviously) I kept waiting for him to have his standalone adventure like the others, I didn't expect it'd be like this ): I'm disappointed with this development. Like Gina, I kept expecting for a fake-out, or that the body they'd find at the hospital would be a different one or something
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't disappointed so much as just sad.

I wonder how German viewers are going to take to the notion that Yuuki sparked the German Revolution? Very Happy

Looks like Odagiri finally gets his day next week. I expected him to be up four episodes ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4