• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kiznaiver

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
HandofBobb wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Not to overthink this, but I find it strange that the film deal apparently hinges upon the production of a slipshod documentary. Couldn't they just use the documentary's budget on other promotional efforts?

I got the impression that Sonozaki used the idea of a film deal as a way to manipulate the film crew into trying to make the documentary, thus setting up the ambush on Maki in last episode, and that there was never any real plan for a film.

The film deal was before the start of the series, Maki clearly knows this guy, and already turned him down no much later to her friend's death. Sonozaki just sparked that fire to strike Maki at her weakest.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Well I guess you're right. I didn't pause it when I was watching it so I guess my brain filled in details from my expectations. Still it makes me wonder the significance of the picture even more.

Makes me think they were the original Kiznaivers, something went 'horribly wrong', only Sonozaki and whats-his-name are left, albeit very emotionally damaged.
Which makes me wonder if they were already the 7 Deadly Sins back then, and what sins Sonozaki and whats-his-name were.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

I think I'm still not quite sure exactly what went down in the last minute of that episode. Did he jump off the roof and collapse the statue onto the roof of the exit she came out of (which at first looked like a garbage can to me because I couldn't find a reference point to grasp the scale or depth of image), or did the statue collapse onto the roof and then he jumped on top of all of it or what? How did both of them escape unscathed?

Why did he run out to meet her anyway? I got that he knew she was there from hearing her footsteps, and I guess he knew her route from when they tried to escape as children, but what made seeing her in that moment urgent enough to leap off a roof?
+ 光

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 8

I think I'm still not quite sure exactly what went down in the last minute of that episode. Did he jump off the roof and collapse the statue onto the roof of the exit she came out of (which at first looked like a garbage can to me because I couldn't find a reference point to grasp the scale or depth of image), or did the statue collapse onto the roof and then he jumped on top of all of it or what? How did both of them escape unscathed?

Why did he run out to meet her anyway? I got that he knew she was there from hearing her footsteps, and I guess he knew her route from when they tried to escape as children, but what made seeing her in that moment urgent enough to leap off a roof?

Wait, is that what happened? I watched that scene 4+ times and still couldn't figure out what happened. Well I re-watched it because I couldn't see what was happening,

and (IMO) because the build-up to it is amazing!

As soon as Katsuhira (not what's-his-name) hears Sonozaki's footstep and his flashback 'manifests in real-time' with that tense 'sht's about to go down' music, I'm excited. Katsuhira doesn't even hear Chidori's...is that a confession?! They even frame 2 shots where you can see her desperately say something, but Katsuhira just misses it completely because he thinks of another girl. That's too cruel, Kacchan.

It is the best sequence of the episode, with Yuta's 'step' toward Maki a close second + Nico with the jersey on, Tenga's 'that's cute!' line and Nico's warm feeling afterwards an adorable third.

I'm glad they don't just tease the character's romantic feelings for each other. I have noticed these feelings for a while, and have enjoyed the prospect of the Kiznaivers as couples in my head only. But the sensei's summary shows that they are not just teasing. It makes sense though, since the experiment wants to go above and beyond, and that can't happen without love. (I think Tenga likes Chidori, but didn't even think about who Nico might like Shocked )
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
Wait, is that what happened? I watched that scene 4+ times and still couldn't figure out what happened.

I dunno. That's why I was asking. Very Happy Part of the problem was the lack of referencing I mentioned, but I think I was also thrown because I expected her to appear somewhere close to where they were on the second floor or wherever. Because I don't know how the hell he heard her footsteps over the storm outside considering where the stairs came out. Was he hearing her "inside" himself?

And yeah, I felt bad for Chidori too. She screws up her courage and then...

"I've always loved you..."
::Katsu runs out into a typhoon and leaps off the roof::
"Ya know, you could've just said you didn't feel the same..."
+ 光

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
"I've always loved you..."
::Katsu runs out into a typhoon and leaps off the roof::
"Ya know, you could've just said you didn't feel the same..."

Haha yeah, that was rude.

Yeah I also thought if he heard her footsteps she must've been close, so why are they both outside? It feels kind of pointless for Katsuhira to have jumped off the building, since Sonozaki was most probably making her way to him anyway. Eager much?
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
So everyone's going to pair off except Chidori. Poor girl just wants a boy to love her but is destined to be everyone's third wheel. Ouch.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
So everyone's going to pair off except Chidori. Poor girl just wants a boy to love her but is destined to be everyone's third wheel. Ouch.

You've forgotten Hisomu, whose masochistic personality just won't get him any ideal pair. And speaking of this, why did he need to say something like that to hurt Maki? I fond it implausible that he's doing this to satisfy his masochism, since he said once that he didn't like mental pain.

Katsuhira will surely pair up with Chidori despite the current situations, after everything she's done for him. Just wait until Katsuhira "dumps" Sonozaki near the finale, who's more like his embargo from the past, I guess. Razz
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
"Shh kids, you've got that emotional telepathy thing now, there's no need to be so noisy!" But i guess it's not an Okada show without characters screaming at each other at the top op their lungs...

I enjoyed some of the more subtle moments like Nico's "i'm going to go out there and get hurt properly" but then not really being able to act on it, but overall this episode was way too melodramatic for my taste.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
"Shh kids, you've got that emotional telepathy thing now, there's no need to be so noisy!" But i guess it's not an Okada show without characters screaming at each other at the top op their lungs...

Yeah, I found the minutes-long scream-fest in the schoolyard more annoying than anything else. Also, I'm still unclear on what exactly went down during the final minute or so of last week's episode.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Even though episode 9 was very emotionally intense and revealing, I can only give it 4 starts because there was some clumsy execution and redundancy. Kiznaiver is my second favorite show of this season (behind Flying Witch), and I think it is a good anime, but it can still turn to crap with one or two bad episodes.

I want to believe that the remaining 3 episodes should be enough to finally take Kiznaiver from being a weird show to being a memorable and special show.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Merida wrote:

Yeah, I found the minutes-long scream-fest in the schoolyard more annoying than anything else. Also, I'm still unclear on what exactly went down during the final minute or so of last week's episode.

Ah, episode 9. Okada must be pleased now that her tastes in over-the-top melodrama is satiated with this episode.

But yeah, I agree with those who find this episode too melodramatic. I get that they're all teens and not really the most socially or emotionally adjusted people out there but I found all this screaming in the rain just annoying.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
To be fair with screaming both inside and out, there were differences between the two so the scene was effectively the two sides of them trying to shout over the other. Nico is shouting out why can't they just all be friends, while her heart is selfishly telling Chidori to give her Tenga. She has really wanted friends, and she uses the part she can control to go for that, but the part Nico cannot control is just as ugly as Chidori's jealousy of Sonozaki, and Tenga's jealousy of Katsuhira. Nico was trying to shout over her own feelings.

Tenga is yelling at Katsuhira why is he not doing right by Chidori, but his feelings on the inside are that he wants her, plus it was effectively his own fault for sending him after her. And Maki says that they cannot be friends, but rather than being mean it is a statement/realisation that hurts herself quite a bit.

I do think it was all just short of the stars.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, I found the minutes-long scream-fest in the schoolyard more annoying than anything else.

I felt that the screaming was justified, even though I understand why people say it's melodramatic. The supernatural elements of the story justify the raw emotional spillage because these characters are being bombarded with truths that they would typically only come about over weeks or months, or never at all. 4 of the Kiznaivers are feeling active pain from the others, so they can't really tone down on the angst. The episode would have been disappointing if their emotions were handled in a more restrained manner.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
^ Yeah, I gotta agree with that. Teenagers are melodramatic enough under normal circumstances, but here you have 8 hormonal kids having their hearts ripped out and laid bare in front of the whole class all at once. In the rain. So any less screaming and angst would ring false to me.

I guess the only time screaming really gets on my nerves is when it's pointless or for no reason, like Ganz or the constantly dueling tsunderes of Anti-Magic Academy and Endride.

Quote:
They're play-acting - provoked by malevolent overseers into spilling their guts, these characters act out the broad beats of confession and catharsis, doing what they think they're supposed to do, or what they assume everyone else expects of them.

I have no idea what this means. The first part about being provoked I get, but I don't see how that amounts to them play-acting or trying to act out their confessions to satisfy expectations. They're no more acting than a caged dog who growls and lunges at a sharp stick poked at them is acting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8