• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bungo Stray Dogs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugetsu1995

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
All im gonna say is that the story takes a huge shift in terms of less comedy and more action
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
It was kind of obvious the likely suspects. Either the kspoiler[id with skills whose father died before in the case], or it is the spoiler[girl who they just so happen to save at the scene who they apparently thinking is not suspicious]. The last one being the more likely. I am pretty sure that shooting someone who just shot someone and is still holding the gun in their hand is not excessive force, all it would probably take would be telling them to comply and if not so, bang. What is unreasonable is that he dropped his gun, and did so fully knowing that a civilian would then use it in his stead. Or quite possibly that he knew that the kid would come, and that it was actually putting them in danger. Logically he should have set an arrest up rather than getting people in danger, a pretty sucky job.

Why does the show keep trying to set up the detective agency as so important? Are they part of the government? It is like half a dozen people with powers that seem to have no accountability, barely any formal training at being detectives, and not even trusted by the authorities. That one guy only gained respect after seeing one in action, but that guy did not even have any powers and is not representative of the group. The main guy is in because he can turn into a tiger, but only sometimes and with no real control, and he has no skills. We are meant to believe that they are strong, but there are like no formal standards, one with strong ties of desire of suicide is even allowed to have victims stay over his place.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
Atsushi is becoming quite the tsukkomi. I think this week's episode marks the first time he's addressed the audience.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I thought it was a bit off that Kunikida seemed more upset that spoiler[the true culprit, a woman he only just met] died, rather than spoiler[the kid who he had been taking care of for years].

Agreed. This is probably my main problem with the show (well, aside from the lame suicide jokes...), i'm having a hard time to connect with any of these characters because they are acting so arbitrarily.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
When they were having that fight I was thinking that they should of been fighting the other ones opponent. I mean his No Longer Human could stop that one persons death clock.
+ 光

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
wolf10 wrote:
I thought it was a bit off that Kunikida seemed more upset that spoiler[the true culprit, a woman he only just met] died, rather than spoiler[the kid who he had been taking care of for years].

Agreed. This is probably my main problem with the show (well, aside from the lame suicide jokes...), i'm having a hard time to connect with any of these characters because they are acting so arbitrarily.

To both of you:

I saw no indication that Kunikida was more upset about the one's death than the other. The two deaths happened immediately after each other, and Kunikida's reaction on both was (more or less) "why did this have to happen? Who was wrong?" Dazai then explained to him, in an argument reminiscent of Concrete Revolutio:

spoiler[Kunikida: "Are you saying this is justice?"
Dazai: "Justice is a weapon. It can be used to cause harm, but it cannot protect or save others. What killed Sasaki was, in the end, the justice of the Azure King, and of you."

So:
- The justice of the Azure King: Rokuzou who killed Sasaki because the Azure King killed his father.
- Kunikida's justice: Giving Rokuzou a chance to live his life as well as he can.

Kunikida knows full well that he's responsible for both of their deaths - If he never took Rokuzou under his wing, he might never have become the hacker he was, and he might never have met Sasaki, so he might never have killed her.]
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I mean, I get the philosophical implications, but while I tend to be on Kunikida's end of the ideological spectrum, I guess I just didn't get why spoiler[Rokuzou shooting the woman who just killed him, in a failed attempt on Kunikida's life, in the middle of her extremely underhanded "you can't shoot me now" ploy] was some deep illustration of the inherent vanity of revenge. It's all in the sequence of events for me. I guess thinking spoiler[she axed what little sympathy she had left with that move] puts me on Dazai's end of things this time, to the point that spoiler[Kunikida's "You could have saved her!" line] needed a bit more something for me to buy into it fully.

*shrug*

But maybe that was the point. Once we get to this particular level of analysis, though, everyone's right about how they reacted to it personally, because we all feel different things in the moment. Props to the show for taking us there, I guess, but blegh. Not what I was watching this show for. Glad this airs on the same day as Twin Star Exorcists, so I can use that as a chaser.
+ 光

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Of course you could just shut down during the show and not consider any of this, but once you feel a character's actions become 'arbitrary', it may be a good idea to think about character motivation.

Slightly off on a tangent: Honestly I didn't really feel any heart-wrenching sympathy for the characters, so I don't think the show have been able to pull in the audience far enough to really feel for Kunikida, spoiler[Rokuzou and Sasaki.] Maybe because the last two episode's pace was so snappy. Though I wonder how important it truly is for the audience to sympathize with the criminal and the victim in a "basic mystery/action story" like this.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:20 am Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
Though I wonder how important it truly is for the audience to sympathize with the criminal and the victim in a "basic mystery/action story" like this.

I feel like it's going to become more important and that this was setting up for that. As the story (hopefully) delves more into the relationship between the Port Mafia and the Armed Detectives, I think we'll see how Dazai straddles their worlds in his previous and new affiliations. His relationship with Akutagawa will probably be a bigger factor as well, which is where I suspect the sympathy this episode tried to evoke will really come into play.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't take any of these deaths seriously because like two weeks ago two people survived getting a full case of machine gun ammo in their backs and were totally fine. No reason Kunikida wouldn't just haul these two up Sexy Nurse's room to get some rough treatment.

I thought for sure the Azure King was Kunikida the whole time, it kind of threw me off the loop when the show didn't go there. What kind of reverse twist is this?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

I thought for sure the Azure King was Kunikida the whole time, it kind of threw me off the loop when the show didn't go there. What kind of reverse twist is this?

I actually thought so too, the guy's eye in the video and his voice sounded a lot like Kunikida, and there was that stray strand of hair that seemed to match Kunikida's color, plus the obvious insistence on "ideals", I still saw the twist on the culprit coming from a mile away, I was actually suspicious of spoiler[Sasaki] since the previous episode
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I couldn't take any of these deaths seriously because like two weeks ago two people survived getting a full case of machine gun ammo in their backs and were totally fine. No reason Kunikida wouldn't just haul these two up Sexy Nurse's room to get some rough treatment.

Shhhh. This show is edgy. People die.

Except when they magically don't and everyone jokes about the "worst case scenario" being patching all the holes in the office. Maybe the fact that the kid wasn't bleeding out at all means next week will kick off Yosano's character focus with a bit of apologetic, lighthearted retcon?

I can dream. Stuff like this always has a selective memory for it's catch-all healing powers.
theycallmekorn

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:

Shhhh. This show is edgy. People die.

Except when they magically don't and everyone jokes about the "worst case scenario" being patching all the holes in the office. Maybe the fact that the kid wasn't bleeding out at all means next week will kick off Yosano's character focus with a bit of apologetic, lighthearted retcon?

I can dream. Stuff like this always has a selective memory for it's catch-all healing powers.
Gotta say that basically all suspense is removed from a show when stuff like that happens. This week's episode on the train was a perfect example. I couldn't really get excited about what was happening when I knew that in the end everyone would be walking away unscathed. This show definitely would've set itself apart from most anime if the siblings actually died earlier on. Would've at least lent some tension to this week's episode.
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
theycallmekorn wrote:
I couldn't really get excited about what was happening when I knew that in the end everyone would be walking away unscathed. This show definitely would've set itself apart from most anime if the siblings actually died earlier on. Would've at least lent some tension to this week's episode.
I don't know what you've been watching lately, but I kind of feel like every action series these days would have killed the siblings off there for shock value. I actually appreciated it not going there, but only until Yosano's ability was forgotten the following arc for the sake of doing something I thought they had moved past.

Either you have the awesome super healer, or you don't. If an Uzi clip to the back or evisceration by Rashomon are treatable wounds in this setting, don't suddenly pretend that a couple bullets to the chest are something dangerous. The villain this week even made a point about how the brain still functions for eight hours after the heart stops. As long as a show is consistent unto itself, I couldn't care less whether the death is "real" or not.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
I do understand what the show's doing with Kyouka, but holy hell did it feel artificial. Probably because Kyouka outright says "I am the you from the other side" and keeps repeating stuff in an annoying voice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12