• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Lost in Anime Licenses

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
I didn't find the Mighty No. 9 trailer terrible, just mediocre. Even the anime joke didn't offend me, it was just a bad joke. It was like a bully who was trying to insult you and it just kind of bounces off you because it was such a shallow, low-brow insult. "Heh Anime fans can't get dates" yeah nice one guys.

And if your getting roasted by Sanic, then you've hit the basement.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Mighty No. 9 faced all sorts of problems. ... A nonsensical controversy erupted about sexism.

This is definitely a completely accurate summary of something that actually happened. Even when Todd Ciolek feels strongly about something he reports impartially and lets his readers make up their own minds.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
Dragon Quest is 30, I can't wait for my physical copy of Heroes II, the Vita version looks great just like Dragon Quest Builders and the gameplay is great. If you are interested in importing, there's a 30 minute video for the Vita version floating around and I bet there's one for those who have a PS4 and want it on a console instead.

MN9 is a mess, the trailer didn't bother me (I wish the narrator was switched out for another one, his voice was annoying), but it's still going end up a big disappointment.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
Pac-Man: Happy 36th Birthday to you, you little pellet-munching lemon ball! :D

Mighty No. 9: Was there even a point to that garbage trailer? I hate it when stupid people try too hard to be funny and only end up embarrassing themselves in the process. It's like watching the "attitude" in a 90s commercial.

Romancing SaGa 2: Yes the price tag for it being a mobile title is a tad absurd, but it's worth it to have another SaGa title here, especially one of the two Super Famicom originals that never got ported or remade until now. We can finally get in on what is considered the best Romancing SaGa title of the SF trilogy and we won't have to rely on a fan translation to do it. I'm loving it so far; quite challenging, but it takes me back to my first steps in Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song, which is an equally difficult experience if you don't know what you're doing. I'm definitely going to be logging in some major time on my phone for this one.

I hope they eventually bring over Romancing SaGa 3 as that one had a huge cast of very unique characters to play as (a humanoid lobster, a sword-wielding elephant, a fairy who has no problem carrying weapons bigger than she is, a snowman and even a fat and skinny masked hero who is clearly parodying Batman).

Wonder Boy: Seeing that pig reminds me how awesome it is that a smoking pirate pig runs the churches in the game, and the villagers apparently have no problem with that. I still need to get back and finish Dragon's Trap. I'm near the end, but haven't beaten the last two bosses yet.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu May 26, 2016 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Watched the latest trailer of Mighty No. 9 and... Man... I found it to be one of the worst trailers I've ever saw. The narrator sounded so try-hard in his feeble attempt to sound "cool" and "edgy" and that punch-line insulting anime fans only made it worse and, of course, there's those pizza-texture explosions. No wonder Takuya Aizu of Inti Creates was incensed at how poorly it turned out.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I think Mighty pissed more people than DmC. Just look at that Youtube dislike bar!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
DmC wasn't funded by crowdsourcing, at which point the ads made fun of the people who funded the game.

How tone-deaf are these people?
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
As a Mighty No9 backer, I feel pretty horrible. The very ill Heart Machine guy of Hyper Light Drifter and Mighty no. 9 were the only two games I backed. The lead developer of HLD has Heart Disease and pumped out a faaaantastic short game. (hard as hell!) and in much time. MN9 meanwhile is still cooking, and looks bad.

Even the gameplay looks poor. For instance, Dashing. Seems dashing appears to be the only movement option in the game. In other games, dashing or dodging is a choice. When you dash, how you dash, don't dash into enemies, cooldowns between dashes. But in every MN9 chunk of trailer its someone constantly, always dashing. Into Enemies, dash in the air. Dashed over a pit, no problem, dash again. Dashed into an enemy? That's on purpose. All dashing, all the time. Its not longer an empowering mechanic for the player. No longer does every press of the button feel like your character is givign 110% for a few seconds, it turned dashing into tedium. Even apart from visuals, the Dash Obsession has me worried for the game design.

And yes, old megaman could dash, but not into enemies, and there was no shooting while dashing. Rolling in Ocarina of Time is limited by how annoyed you want to be by Link's voice, but even then dashing had its limits (to non-speedrunners). Back to Hyper Light Drifte, you can upgrade your dash to chain dashes together and add attacks to your dashes, but can also dash into walls and stun yourself.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
The dog and that child in the Pac-Man game are crying because of the fate they had to deal with in this game.

Well, I guess we'll get that MN9 game whenever it comes out. I mean we paid for it, but if Amazon suddenly cancelled it because of delays I wouldn't even care. I'd reconsider ordering it IF it proves worthy.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
leaked line from the next mn9 trailer

Quote:
if you paid for this, you are a loser!

if you pre-paid for this, you are a bigger loser!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even Sonic thinks you've lost your footing, Mighty No. 9. That's not good.

But in spite of his current woes, keeping his footing remains one of Sonic's enduring strengths.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Even int he buggiest Sonic title, he keeps his footing. Even if that means he is standing on the ceiling and can't jump off.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing about Earth Seeker. I'm now even more disappointed that the Wii's collection of interesting and awesome games aimed at gamers never made it over to North America...
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Mighty No 9 claim it was making an anime tie in? Not sure how effective insulting your own audience is. They may as well change the line to " make your enemies cry like someone who backed our kickstarter now that refunds aren't available"
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
The Pac-man game that stands out to me the most is definitely Baby Pac-Man because of how absolutely brutal it is. Created by Bally after their Pac-Man license expired, Namco got on their case, and only a few Baby Pac-Man cabinets were made. (Well, that number's around 300 or so, but that's still pretty small for something Pac-Man-related in his heyday.) I would love to try Professor Pac-Man one day. It's a trivia game that promised more quiz questions would be made and available to install into a Professor Pac-Man cabinet via download through Namco's own content delivery system, making it one of the earliest DLC-centered games, if not the first.

I also miss Snowboard Kids, and I'd love to see another one made. One more like the original three games, not that SBK: Snowboard Kids game that completely missed the point.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Watched the latest trailer of Mighty No. 9 and... Man... I found it to be one of the worst trailers I've ever saw. The narrator sounded so try-hard in his feeble attempt to sound "cool" and "edgy" and that punch-line insulting anime fans only made it worse and, of course, there's those pizza-texture explosions. No wonder Takuya Aizu of Inti Creates was incensed at how poorly it turned out.

Maybe they're trying to channel Bad Art Mega Man and his appearance in Street Fighter X Tekken.

H. Guderian wrote:
Even in the buggiest Sonic title, he keeps his footing. Even if that means he is standing on the ceiling and can't jump off.

That's an interesting way to put it!

CaRoss wrote:
Thanks for sharing about Earth Seeker. I'm now even more disappointed that the Wii's collection of interesting and awesome games aimed at gamers never made it over to North America...

I think by then, 3rd-party companies had become completely baffled by the Wii. Some companies, like SEGA, Capcom, Ubisoft, and WayForward, were able to succeed on the Wii, but many others released flop after flop and were confused and frustrated about why the Wii and some of its games could sell so well while theirs sold even worse than if they were on the PS3 or Xbox 360. This is particularly pronounced in western regions, where you have the whole notion among some developers that the Wii is a casual system with casual gamers who only want casual games, and so they produce clones of Wii Sports, Carnival Games, and Boogie when it was evident, in hindsight, that the Wii audience would only be burned once by inferior imitations. (That is, I'm certain some developers saw Wii Sports and Wii Play as shallow minigame collections or even shovelware that they didn't like, but they're extremely popular for a reason they couldn't understand.) But, in the middle and later years of the Wii's lifespan, from the perspective of these other developers and distributors, the Wii audience rejected their games, so why bother trying?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3