• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of May 13-19

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:23 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Nope, not at all what I was talking about.

You claimed that one of reason why Re:Zero was like SAO because the MC is an otaku and then proceed to list a bunch of common anime elements and archetypal traits despite the fact these elements usually exist independently of MC of the story (like cute girls, verbal tics and whatnot) and far from being native to LNs. Those elements are pretty meaningless comes to crafting a good story regardless of whether they're present or not.

Rozen Maiden for example shares a lot of these basic traits you said make Re:Zero generic and like SAO yet nobody would ever compare them that way unless they conveniently removed all context (in otherwords everything that makes those shows what they are) from either show just as you did to Re:Zero.

Quote:
I already addressed this. You even quoted that part of my comment. Good on you man.

Which I just responded to a few minutes ago so what are trying to get? Did miss what i said?

Quote:
What?

You called Emilia an Asuna clone or a "rip-off" in your own words and never specific why other than just saying it hence . Since you never elaborated you reason for that it sounds like they probably superficial to begin with.

Quote:
No, umm, that's actually the problem... real people don't act in such pre-defined generic ways. This show is largely nothing but characters doing that. Thanks for making that one easy for me.

So what constitutes as pre-defined generic ways then? Is it being optimistic? Is a altruistic? stoic? depressed? feisty? earnest? short tempered? dishonest? out-going? afoot? Plenty of humans IRL and anime generally align to some form of these personalities and more. Furthermore what does a non pre-defined generic personality look like?

Quote:

Your thoughtful words have really encouraged me to give this more credit for it's awesome writing. Rolling Eyes

I thought long and hard about how to respond to this, but, to be honest, you're totally not on the same page as me at all, so I'm just going to leave it at that, I guess.

Um... yeah I don't care much for yourself indulgent sarcasm not do I give crap whether you like Re:Zero or not. You can drop it for all I care. I'm only pointing out is that you reason is ass and it made of bunch of buzzwords that mean nothing.

Hell if you just said that you don't like the show directly without the rest of this crap, I wouldn't have bothered. But just because you don't like traits and personalities that these characters display doesn't mean they aren't human especially when you haven't established what it is to act human everyone agrees with collectively.

So yeah, I'm done with you too.
crx07

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The story so far is incredibly interesting. The way that everyone interacts right now is the biggest problem. No one feels like an actual person.
I agree on the story part. The story makes me watch this anime but the characters are not much a motivation for me, but fortunately I don't care that much about how badly-written characters are. I respect your opinion that "No one feels like an actual person." But, it's just what you feel. Others may feel otherwise, and I'm also gonna respect their opinions. I think those characters sometimes don't act like an actual person, but they also act like a real person. I treat Beako and twins' actions not your average person but they also act like persons sometimes, maybe you didn't notice. I think Felt's character is not badly written. I can't relate or sympathize or empathize with Subaru even though we have some major similarities when compared objectively, so my feelings are unreliable.
relyat08 wrote:
Real people don't act in such pre-defined generic ways. This show is largely nothing but characters doing that.
What do you mean? What does "predefined generic ways" mean? Does "generic" mean "real-life generic" or "fiction generic"? It's generic for real-life people to sleep, or to unable to sleep because of excitement, or liking someone.
Emilia is not perfect, spoiler[she got stolen and killed easily and has no gate hence can't use magic]. But if you mean her heart is perfect, then I would agree with you so far. Ram Rem repetition sounds tropey but that's their quirk. Also Roswaal's voice is his quirk. The generic thing here are that the character designs and some characteristics of those characters are based on our generic LN fictions and Beatrice's tsun acts.
I believe you think they don't act like real people is that they have quirks that no real people do. People also have quirks, like uttering their favorite swear words every time they speak or insulting someone when they contradict on their beliefs.
If you mean real-life generic ways, then the nice examples IMO are the appa vendor (except maybe spoiler[on the scene where her wife told him that their kid was lost]), the random vendor of ep2 and Felt.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:17 am Reply with quote
Emilia just a kind person (once you get to know her), it doesn't mean she's perfect. Afterall she did lie to Subaru about her identity in one of loops even when all he was trying to do was pay her back for saving him. She meant will with it, but it shows she not beyond doing questionable things even if may hurt others a bit.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:

Hell if you just said that you don't like the show directly without the rest of this crap, I wouldn't have bothered.

I think it's always better to expand on and explain why you dislike something. People are more likely to engage in conversation, hopefully respectfully, and you can determine whether or not you should re-evaluate that show, or at least have an understanding of why someone else may enjoy it. I'm pretty disappointed by your reaction, but whatever. Definitely not surprised.

@ #844903

Thanks for your responses. You have helped me get a better understanding of where you're coming from. I won't give up on it yet. I've had a couple of people mention that the 3rd arc(?) has a different feel to it, or at least another major twist. The fact that the "tropey" characters are spoiler[often trying to kill him] is a fun spin on how they typically behave. I should focus more on that. Smile

Last edited by relyat08 on Thu May 26, 2016 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
stilldemented

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
The trick to the characters in Re:Zero is believing in the retcon. The show has successfully led me to believe that the characters are a little more nuanced than they appear at first glance.

Take another show this season such as Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. It's a solid show with a reasonable cast of characters as far as I'm concerned. That being said, the character operate on face value. What I mean by that is, we won't be getting much of any real insight into the characters worth noting. What you see is what you get. Characters will be angry when it's time to be angry and reflect when it is time to reflect. Nothing wrong with that since Kabaneri is designed around the characters reacting to the situation rather than make any attempt at being an introspective story. It's not really a character-driven show. Solid show is still solid.

Re:Zero has an interesting, though not unique, storytelling pattern. It sets up stereotypical harem-pandering antics then devalues them. When introduced to a new character, the audience's first impression of a character is standard and archetypal. Beatrice is tsundere. The twins banter off of one another. Emelia is true waifu. Subaru is an otaku that is self-inserty in nature. So on and so forth.

The cool thing is the gimmick. With each reset comes a reexamination of these characters. With each reexamination we see a different side to the characters. spoiler[The twins are still twinsy, but they are not identical in mindset. Beatrice is still tsundere, but has a code of honor and lots of intelligence in regards to the world. Emelia is still true waifu material, but the more we learn about Satella, the more we recognize the similarities between the two. And although Subaru is still a bit of a weirdo, but we learn that his happy-go-lucky attitude is his way of handling situations that disturb or unnerve him and cause us to reflect on his actions in earlier episodes with a new perspective.]

Short Unspoilery Version: Each new repeat adds a new ingredient to the cake.

It doesn't surprise me that the show is doing so well. The show looks great (mad props to the guy in charge of lighting especially), the director is on point, and the writing is taking interesting turns. We're in a slice-of-life loop, but each week manages to keep the material fresh in spite of the show's redundant nature.

So that's why I'm digging the show more or less. Smile
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
stilldemented wrote:
Re:Zero has an interesting, though not unique, storytelling pattern. . . . The cool thing is the gimmick. With each reset comes a reexamination of these characters. With each reexamination we see a different side to the characters. spoiler[The twins are still twinsy, but they are not identical in mindset. Beatrice is still tsundere, but has a code of honor and lots of intelligence in regards to the world. Emelia is still true waifu material, but the more we learn about Satella, the more we recognize the similarities between the two. And although Subaru is still a bit of a weirdo, but we learn that his happy-go-lucky attitude is his way of handling situations that disturb or unnerve him and cause us to reflect on his actions in earlier episodes with a new perspective.]

This is the aspect of the series that I think people who are criticizing it for having bad writing or being too generically like other LN adaptations are missing. I don't hold it against people for missing this, as it's something that's only gradually developed, only really come on strong in the last 2-3 episodes, and something that you have to pay more than just surface attention to for picking up on in some cases. (IOW, the series is a bit more subtle than it's being given credit for.) But it's also a big part of what's starting to give the series some separation from others of its ilk and part of of the reason why I have started to rate episodes much higher of late.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I think that one of the reasons people are comparing it to SAO is the the color pallet. Both have this rich and bright colors that make the shows seem more than they actually are (although i think sao is just fine the way it is.... well, part of the first 2 volumes and the alicization arc at least), and it makes these shows seem pretentious, which is something that anime fans seem to abhor.

I have read both the LN (in Japanese) and skimmed though a bit of the manga, and i was quite surprised by the general "mood" the show had going for it. It really doesn't reflect the kind of story it truly is.

All said, i'm eagerly awaiting that the translations reach the 3rd arc (yeah people, it's not fake hype...) so i that i can see just how well will the translator be able to transmit the downright sadistic of writing of the ln (after the 3rd/4th volume +/-).
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
stilldemented wrote:
Re:Zero has an interesting, though not unique, storytelling pattern. . . . The cool thing is the gimmick. With each reset comes a reexamination of these characters. With each reexamination we see a different side to the characters. spoiler[The twins are still twinsy, but they are not identical in mindset. Beatrice is still tsundere, but has a code of honor and lots of intelligence in regards to the world. Emelia is still true waifu material, but the more we learn about Satella, the more we recognize the similarities between the two. And although Subaru is still a bit of a weirdo, but we learn that his happy-go-lucky attitude is his way of handling situations that disturb or unnerve him and cause us to reflect on his actions in earlier episodes with a new perspective.]

This is the aspect of the series that I think people who are criticizing it for having bad writing or being too generically like other LN adaptations are missing. I don't hold it against people for missing this, as it's something that's only gradually developed, only really come on strong in the last 2-3 episodes, and something that you have to pay more than just surface attention to for picking up on in some cases. (IOW, the series is a bit more subtle than it's being given credit for.) But it's also a big part of what's starting to give the series some separation from others of its ilk and part of of the reason why I have started to rate episodes much higher of late.

This is definitely fair, and after watching episodes 6 and 7, I have definitely started to reevaluate some of the characters. And my impression of the show as a whole has improved too. I don't know how many fans are picking up on things like this, and how many are just liking it because of it's other more up-front appeals(most were on-board from episode 1, after all.), but I can get behind the developments with Ram and Rem in particular as long as we get a bit more explanation, since, honestly, their motivations so far didn't seem really believable to me. I'm open to explanations on that as well. I think, from your review of episode 7, you seemed a little bit surprised at the reason given in the show as well. But anyway, I guess maybe this would be better for the re:zero review thread itself...
xyz

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

This is definitely fair, and after watching episodes 6 and 7, I have definitely started to reevaluate some of the characters. And my impression of the show as a whole has improved too. I don't know how many fans are picking up on things like this, and how many are just liking it because of it's other more up-front appeals(most were on-board from episode 1, after all.), but I can get behind the developments with Ram and Rem in particular as long as we get a bit more explanation, since, honestly, their motivations so far didn't seem really believable to me. I'm open to explanations on that as well. I think, from your review of episode 7, you seemed a little bit surprised at the reason given in the show as well. But anyway, I guess maybe this would be better for the re:zero review thread itself...

I don't think I'm the targeted audience for this so if there are the so-called "up-front appeals", they don't apply to me. I find the story telling very interesting and the characters likeable. Subaru is trying so hard that he's endearing and Emilia is a nice girl. I don't dislike nice people. T'is true I hate the twins but that doesn't make me hate the show as a whole.

I'm one of those who was intrigued by the 1st ep for its own merits, not by the so-called "upfront appeals" or whatever. So as far as I'm concerned, that theory about its attraction due to certain up-front appeals seems like a way to discredit the show.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
xyz wrote:

I'm one of those who was intrigued by the 1st ep for its own merits, not by the so-called "upfront appeals" or whatever. So as far as I'm concerned, that theory about its attraction due to certain up-front appeals seems like a way to discredit the show.

Okay, that's great. I did say that because, in the first few episodes, I didn't find anything about the show other than the intriguing premise to be worthy of the praise it was getting. At that point, to me, it was an interesting story with a bunch of very one note characters and some, frankly, painful dialogue. Recent developments have helped change that a bit. I said, "up-front appeals", because it seemed like a lot of people were super down with the one-note characters and everything that I found unfortunately detracting from a potentially really cool story. As of the first few episodes, I didn't see any reason to think those things would be rectified, so to me, liking it at that point meant liking those things, or at least not having an issue with them. The story hadn't developed beyond the premise at that point anyway. And as I've said before, I like the premise too.
crx07

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:50 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
And as I've said before, I like the premise too.
I believe the series is designed to attract the SAO fans and then torture them especially those who dare to self-insert[/quote]It's normal not to like this series. It's similar to a person that instead just ignore the ugly person approaching, he is making fun of him. But it turns out to be a rich person, and what's more, he is a handsome person who is just wearing a prosthetic face to measure how judgmental people are. It's also normal for a SAO fans to like this series. It's similar to a person falling in love to a rich man who looks like her favorite actor, but the truth is that person is wearing prosthetic face and all his money came from his mother's pension which will stop next week.
That's what I think. But I could be wrong. We will know after September.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3