• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
This is something I've ranted about enough times. Obviously, I prefer the first anime series over the manga/ Brotherhood. While having its imperfections such as how the finale to the TV anime is set up for the Conqueror of Shambala movie, it took the story to the manga in places that you wouldn't find in a conventional shounen series. Ed and Al come across situations that challenge their personal beliefs and force the brothers to change as a result of what they learn concerning the Philosopher's Stone, while the brothers are unchanged in their beliefs throughout the manga's run. Supporting characters such as Nina and Maes get greater focus so we care spoiler[for what happens to them in their infamous moments] instead of the limited depth they were given in the manga. Many of the Homunculi get fleshed out enough where they come across as tragic villains in the anime, whereas they mostly play the role of cohorts/ mooks to Father in the manga who are limited in depth and personality. And as already mentioned, the ending to the first FMA series ended on a more bittersweet note compared to the manga's typical happy ending.

The first FMA anime pretty much took what was a conventional shounen series and bumped up the maturity of its storyline, characters and themes to make it a more engaging and (at the time) unpredictable watch considering the second half mostly went on its own tangent with the storyline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
Sorry for posting in an old thread, I didn't realize this one was so old. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Also.........why does it seem like I'm only finding the old threads for FMA? .___.

I really loved the original FMA anime! <3 Brotherhood was a bit better since it was more faithful to the manga and completed it with the manga ending, and the manga was better than both. However, I can't deny that the original FMA anime is what kept me liking anime! A true classic! <3

I wonder if anyone is still a fan of FMA even after all these years? Smile

I hope I"m not the only one that's still a fan even after the manga and Brotherhood ended. ^^;
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote

Check out my entry for FMA in "My Anime."
Quote:
Also.........why does it seem like I'm only finding the old threads for FMA?
You are looking here, aren't you?
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I was referring to how it seemed like I was finding older threads in the Anime board instead of any newer ones if any. ^^;;; I guess I forgot about other boards that may have similar topics...whoops.... Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 17 of 17