• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Necroposting.

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
@Sailor Sedna
The opening post in this thread says "In the Talkback forum time-sensitive topics have at most 2 months of shelf life before timing out."

So You should be OK.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
Thanks Very Happy
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
To the moderators:

As I said in a previous post, the opening post here says "In the Talkback forum time-sensitive topics have at most 2 months of shelf life before timing out."
"at most" is emphasized with bold and underlined text. I take that to mean that a moderator could decide to lock a thread for necroposting at any time, even if it is only a few days old.

However:
nobahn wrote:
Anything labelled "news" (or "interest") has a time-out date based on the last or next-to-last post-date. ... This comes directly from Zac Bertschy.

That says that a thread could continue indefinitely as long as it has regular activity.

I think that "at most" should be removed from the rule. It could possibly be replaced with "at least."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
^
Very well, please see my new footnotes.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, nobahn.

It seems to me that you have made the rule as clear as it can be.
SillyPerson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
Sorry for necroposting on a post from late May of this year. I guess 3 months of inactivity (late August minus late May = 3 months) is considered necroposting here. I was not previously aware of this fact, but now I am. Thanks for directing me to this thread when you locked the one I posted in, so I could find out what the deal was. I'll try not to do it again.

Maybe the website should warn people not to post on any topic that's been inactive longer than 2 months, and make them go through some kinda confirmation dialog box if they want to do it. That definitely would've stopped me from doing it. I'd noticed you have a dialog like that for topics that have been inactive a really long time. So when I DIDN'T see that dialog pop up for the topic that was only 3 months old I figured, OK, so posting on this one ISN'T considered necroposting by this site since that dialog box didn't pop up. I guess I'll figure differently from now on and avoid posting on anything inactive longer than 1 month, just to be safe.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
@SillyPerson

As long as you follow the guidelines listed in the first post of this thread you will be fine. As noted there, several types of threads do not time out at all. Having a notice come up on all old threads would require additional programming, if possible. From what I understand the notice only comes up if you access a thread from specific locations.

While this place may have a few more rules than some forums, they are not that hard to get used to. Take your time and enjoy yourself.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
As far as I understand, the notice only comes up if you click on the "discuss this in the forum" link at the bottom of an article on the main site, not if you enter the thread from the forum.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
To my knowledge, there's no mod for phpBB2 that will allow you to do pop-ups like that in forums.

Checking on articles, it appears that everything older than 2 weeks (15+ days, specifically) has the pop-up warning. (nobahn, this must be the missing part of that discussion with Tony, 2 weeks rather than 2 months).

Of course, it's for everything in the talkback forum, so the same pop-up shows up on review links as well.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
Apparently a glitch with this Japanese Anime TV Ranking: May 21-May 27 article that links the talkback discussion to an much earlier one instead of a new one.
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
.________. *hangs head low in shame* Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

So.....I probably should've read this thread before posting in some old threads from the anime or manga board when I didn't realize how old they were. *bows apologetically* Sorry everyone. I'll try to refrain from doing that so much. At least I know now not to do that. I understand some threads don't time out, but if members are being told to post in older threads instead of creating new ones, why do we still get scolded for posting in an old thread? I'm a little confused, sorry. ^^;;; I'm sure someone has already explained it already but I had trouble understanding what they meant. Again, sorry. ^^;;;;
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
SamuraiNinjaDragon--
No need to worry; I don't think that that you've been engaging in any necroposting.
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for getting back to me so soon. I was a little worried that I was breaking a rule, but if you really think I'm ok, then I won't worry with it. Thanks so much! I feel relieved now and I'm not worrying so much anymore. ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11