• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Punch Man (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale):

Wow, that was....freaking great and insane! The amount of budget Madhouse poured into it was unbelievable. And this episode really made Saitama vs. Boros stand out as one of the best fights imo of this year.

The OST used was great too.
Also glad to see some of the other heroes get their moments of fame. Great show overall, very fun to watch, and I hope it gets another season.

Rating it as Excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
They actually pulled it up off. I feel like they spent too much time on the aftermath, but I suppose it was needed.

Well done, Madhouse.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
It would be harsh to describe the last fight as a disappointment, that or ridiculously high expectations bordering on the unrealistic. Either way, plenty of visual entertainment to round off the adaptation with Boros going all out against Saitama.

No witnesses, no glory. Saitama is the only one to have seen, talked to and defeated the leader of the space pirates. Although his victory was the most important (plus the battle was the main reason behind the ship's collapse), the running joke of the series stays consistent right to the end of this adaptation.

Likewise the attitude of the heroes after the ship was wrecked isn't all that surprising given the fare that has gone before. One hero is only interested about PR with a fixation on what "ideal" heroes should do to perform their jobs competently, while the other cares too much about the official power hierarchy to even contemplate an entirely different answer to the question she asked Saitama towards the end (which Saitama being who he is didn't even deign to provide an answer).

All in all, nothing much really changes for Saitama despite being officially registered and gaining a disciple. He still faces monstrous challenges which would crush almost everyone else yet finishes the fights with the single punch. Any satisfaction or excitement he gained from the Boros fight would have been long gone by the time they rehashed the opening scene of this adaptation right at the end.

At least there are OVA clips to come. More original stories outside of the source material would be most welcome.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
episode twelve

For the life of me, I still can't summon any more excitement for Saitama's battles than he does. All the visual splendor just winds up wasted. Aside for a few moments here and there, that last fight didn't really do anything more for me than the others did.

Really though, it's my own fault. I've just stuck with a show that I've failed to connect with on any level too long. I'll have to bow out of the OVAs and any sequel seasons.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Seeing all these year end lists, I think I have to label One Punch Man the most overrated of the year.

It's plenty good, sure. I found it consistently funny and it did have some great bits of animation, but overall it's just kinda okay. The central joke does get worn out a bit and they waste too much time building up each villain when we all know Saitama is going to easy beat them. The characters definitely needed more focus. As is, Mumen Rider was the standout.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed that. Great battle, nice-wrap up but with hooks left dangling for more (that ending was rather ominous). I got no complaints. I would've rated the series a Masterpiece but I had to knock it down a notch for Puri Puri Prisoner, who was too troubling to just brush off as harmless.

I do have to say that it always amuses me how movies and tv seem to think the moon is like 12 miles away. To be punted to or return from the moon in the minute or so it apparently took, he'd have to be traveling at about 14 million mph. And he's not even singed on re-entry. My hero! ;D
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Something tells me that the prophecy was not for Saitama. That the second in command was maybe a perfect match to see Tornado fight (that never happened), the prophecy was probably for the rank 1 hero who never showed up. Although it took more than a punch, it looked like a single punch was enough to rip off the guy's arm, although Saitama got hit by him, it looked like Saitama still put little energy into dodging attacks, and I don't think he used a punch again until later when he blew him apart before he put himself back together. Saitama required to do a serious punch, but it was still only one serious punch.

An important revelation is that it appears Metal Knight is who killed Genos' family. I guess you could maybe see the earlier encounter with he had little interest in being hero more than testing his weapons could be foreshadowing. The other heroes had some cool moments, and Mask is a butt. But with Saitama having taught Genos, there was something to take from it. Killing prisoners is totally not heroic.

What to say about One-Punch Man? It is good. Was there a big trial where Saitama had to learn lessons and grow? Nope. Did Saitama have a real challenge in the end? Nope also, we had the music play through the fight, but more than be awesomeness of a challenge or really a display of Saitama's power, it was the villain doing amazing power but that it really meant very little to Saitama. You could really see so much of Saitama trying not to get excited so he does not get let down. The normal struggles of this genre were really shown with other characters like Genos and Mumen Rider. And there were a number of things to touch on the hero topic.

Animation could be really fantastic in this series. The OP song was awesome, and really music in general was nice. It was funny. And even could feel emotional at one point. He feels like a breakdown of the genre, kind of something that goes against that idea of fighting over which hero is stronger from different series. What happens when you have a hero who literally beats everything no sweat. I can't quite give it a perfect rating, but I rate it Excellent, really a must watch.
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I do have to say that it always amuses me how movies and tv seem to think the moon is like 12 miles away. To be punted to or return from the moon in the minute or so it apparently took, he'd have to be traveling at about 14 million mph. And he's not even singed on re-entry. My hero! ;D

To be fair, it is Saitama, he's pretty ridiculous lol......

You know what? Boros went out like a champion. He gave it his all and the way he was going ham on Saitama was just pure sickness, even though it didn't affect Saitama at all.

And c'mon, there's gotta be a season 2 of this, surely?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
OVA Special #1:

This first of the original short stories bundled with the DVD releases. This takes place in the interval between Genos moving in with Saitama and his prior declaration to be his disciple.

Typical Saitama story of an ordinary unemployed person who also happens to be absurdly strong and defeats a villain not because the villain is evil but because Saitama mistakenly believed he'd been a victim of the villain's stalking and thievery.

The dialogue at the start when Saitama was watching his rental disc was funny because it was so incongruous.

After seeing this story, one feels a little sorry for Genos for spending all those days researching Saitama and not getting anything meaningful out of it.

That new ED song... wrong time of year to feature a festival-themed tune but the animation and lyrics are hilarious.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:28 am Reply with quote
Got around to watching all of 12 and the OVA and I still stand by my original thought this shit is generic.

It's a basic concept that has so many other ideas mashed into one. I had read to the point where Saitama and Genos trained and couldn't take it.......and I'm talking the remake manga not the hidacious web comic.

I said that One Punch Man wouldn't get animated and then boom, it did. I was like "cool, show me how wrong I was." Now here we are, a 12 episode tease. Potential wasted.

Towards the end of the series it becomes interesting. Going from generic to great. As an fellow animator, Madhouse pulling it all out at the end (I wish we could see more projects like this instead of the talking heads, gradient landscapes and lip flap monotony) had me clapping at the end.

A glorified advertisement. It's insulting. Another title to the " won't be more when there needs to be" pile.

This series has many common suitors but Hunter x Hunter looked to be the biggest. (Another great disappointment) It's too bad the great story they were setting up won't have a follow through.

Great job Japan.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
OVA #3

Taking place shortly after Sonic's first encounter with Saitama, it's more comedy relief than action as we witness the kind of trauma ninjas experience when they get (accidentally) hit in the crown jewels.

What's even more funny is Saitama's reason for going to the mountains. As usual the broke professional hero is looking for ways to cut corners and hits upon the brilliant idea of ridding the mountains of a pesky bear and making enough dinner to last days at the same time.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Another title to the "won't be more when there needs to be" pile.

Why do you think there won't be more? This was a huge hit, so stopping here is just leaving money on the table. Stranger things have happened, but I'll be astonished if there's no second season.

And I don't know what you wanted in a HxH ending that you didn't get, other than the hints they dropped of material that hasn't even been written yet, and likely never will be. Nothing wrong with keeping that door cracked just in case the mangaka ever takes a hiatus from all his hiatuses.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
OVA #4

Viewers already know what Saitama is like, so his actions and decisions are extremely predictable (although his stunt with the truck was one of those situations when we laugh at how ridiculous he is).

Bang's lack of students is very obvious to those who follow the source material and I honestly don't blame him for trying so hard to recruit Saitama. But just as humans are born, age, sicken and die so too will Saitama never make it under someone's direct tutelage.

For that last scene, I've got to hand it to Bang for correctly assessing the situation and evading so quickly. Seeing what happened to the helmet after Saitama got annoyed makes me laugh at how bad Saitama is at games of chance and cringe at the immense strength he possesses.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
OVA #5

Change of perspective for once with Fubuki taking centre stage. She has a chip on her shoulder but with good reason because of the insanely talented and mercurial Tatsumaki as her elder sister.

Since this arc takes place shortly after the Sea King got smashed in, Saitama hasn't met her yet but it does explain in a way how Genos identified who she was when they first met in the source material.

Genos is generally too serious to be the feed for jokes, but his reason for wanting psycho-powers brought out a chuckle. Looks like he's spent too much time with Saitama and is starting to adopt his master's thought processes.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
OVA #6 Final

Set shortly after the final battle for the first season, it's basically an excuse for viewers to watch the S-class heroes act stupid when they drink too much alcohol. Zombie-man does get screen-time as the "victim" which is fine since he didn't really get much of the spotlight during the regular season.

Golden rule: Never taunt Tatsumaki about her outward appearance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11