• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Servamp (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote

Servamp (TV)

Genres: supernatural
Themes: vampires

Plot Summary: When a stray black cat named Kuro crosses Mahiru Shirota's path, the high school freshman's life will never be the same again. Kuro is, in fact, no ordinary feline, but a servamp: a servant vampire. While Mahiru's personal philosophy is one of non-intervention, he soon becomes embroiled in an ancient, altogether surreal conflict between vampires and humans.
----------------------------------

A vampire shoujo series adapted by Brains Base.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Wow, that escalated fast.

I was expecting some blood but not the amount that it showed already. Meanwhile, I think the show did a decent job with Kuro's character. Reminded me a bit of Blood Lad in a way with the comedy as well. Not bad. Some of the character designs reminds me of Blue Exorcist. OP song is also quite something, not exactly what I was originally expecting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I think that I actually like this, I like the style. It does so far seem to have a number of problems though. I think that it was relying a bit too much on "telling" instead of confidence in "showing", which kind of bogged down a number of scenes, which I think that it thought that would be a bit of showmanship, but I actually don't think it was needed. Some of the characters seem interesting, with the slight bump that it is was so far to get a read on the main character's conflicting attributes that he does not like bothersome things, but that he wants to be the "someone else". It did look like they took some steps to explain this along with is own past, but the lack of clarity created a bit of problems with expected contrast with Kuro.

Regardless of it being a bit hammy, I found it to kind of be cute, the chemistry between the two leads. And although I like some of the chibi transformation going on for comedic effect, it is kind of unclear if chibi human form is another form in addition to cat and lanky person, or if it artistic value. Like it looked like Shirota was carrying Kuro under his arm as he was leaving the apartment, which included Kuro turning into a smaller cat form. So far it is a little bit uneven with scenes like this, like his reactions are not really the most believable either.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I was going to say I hope they didn't kill off his friend, but then he's in the previews, so I guess they didn't.

I like Kuro's little cat paws in the ED dance.

Right now I'm betting Mahiru's uncle is Tsubaki's sensei. He's gotta be somebody important with that hair.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I like Kuro's little cat paws in the ED dance.

I liked the ED, the whole dance thing reminds me of the one from Blood Blockade Battlefront, almost in a way that makes me think they are trying to emulate it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Eh, the animation of the dancing in the ED is nowhere near as good as BBB's. Animation in general is not this show's strong suit. Neither is pacing. I've read the first two volumes of the manga, and the second ep seemed really jumpy to me. The whole first part of the episode was Tsubaki lecturing Mahiro (and the audience) about who he is and why he wants to start a war, which was pretty much the most boring "tell vs show" scene. Than they introduce Lust and his master, but I feel that the manga's introduction of these characters had more detail, nuance and atmosphere than the anime's version. Oh, well, it's easy to lose things in translation when you're strapped for time. I hope they pace things better and have less "tell" scenes going forward.

I'm suspicious that Mahiro's friend knows more than he's letting on, which is why he's so suspicious of Mahiro. Can't remember what his kidnapping led to in the manga. Guess we'll find out next week.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
episodes one and two

Oh hey, anthropomorphized lust isn't a woman for once! Not surprising given the show, but sort of interesting nonetheless. (I know The Seven Deadly Sins has a male lust too, but I have yet to watch that.)

Our main character is a bit daft isn't he? I mean, who trusts a man who is collecting children in their mansion? Even the phrase "child collector" feels like a euphemism. I'm sure that's not where this is going, but still! Mahiro needs a little skepticism.

Speaking of Mahiro, the mention of him being able to manifest a special weapon made me crack up. Given his personality, I'm sort of imagining this to be a superpowered mop or broom. Something very practical and useful for cleaning up other people's messes.

Agent355 wrote:
Eh, the animation of the dancing in the ED is nowhere near as good as BBB's. Animation in general is not this show's strong suit.

Yeah, and it's sad. Besides the ending, there's been several opportunities within the episodes for some well animated flourishes, but none to be found.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
episode three

Bahahaha! It is a broom! I'm stupidly pleased with myself.

Getting into episode three, though, I'm thinking that the show's comedy elements and over-the-top characters are pretty fun, but that the darker elements (or attempts at darker elements) feel like they're trying too hard. The basic idea behind this episodes showdown is perfectly fine, it's just overwrought in execution and not in a terribly fun way.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

And it flies! He's clearly a witch.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
Burn him!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

This is becoming more fun, even if it's nothing to get too excited about overall. So everybody dancing in the ED has at least made an appearance now, right? If they add too many more cast members my brain is going to explode.

I guess this is the season of big guys who are years younger than they appear, huh.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
Why would sloth as a characteristic quickly get a lot of food? Wouldn't it fit more to not want to do anything or take his time over it?

And maybe trying to say vampires are bad guys will hold more water of reasoning when a human just kidnapped, blackmailed, and effectively threatened to have him killed. I know it is all to come across as edgy and to have a moment of the hero being morally correct, but in general it feels like there is poor work into making the arguments of characters feel compelling.

I have had the thought that the show kind of reminds me a bit of Actually I Am, perhaps because of the vampire thing, and there are some interesting characters, but the main character feels a bit too boring. His catchphrase philosophy just feels tacked on.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I watched eps 4 & 5 back-to-back last night. Loved the scene with Mahiro making up with Sakuya, but I'm not quite sure why Sakuya said he couldn't see Mahiro anymore. Just don't tell Tsubaki about it! Mahiro figuring out (or assuming) that his broom could fly because he had a black cat was hilarious. Yup, definitely a witch. Bet he weighs as much as a duck! Laughing (Monty Python & the Holy Grail reference. I'd link the scene on Youtube, but I'm using a Blackberry).
So, C3 are a shady bunch, but I'm betting Mahiro & Sleepy Ash (AKA Kuro, AKA Sloth--they all have too many names!) will eventually team up with them to take down whomever Tsubaki's working for.

Sooo...does knowing that vampirism is a way to save a dying person's life make Lilly's (AKA Lust's) harem of little kid vampires any less creepy? I mean just because his sin is lust and he collects little kids on the verge of death doesn't mean he treats them, *ahem*, lustfully. At least, we hope not. Also, does he have a habit of hooking up with (I mean, *hanging out with*) sickly kids in general, because his current Eve isn't that close to death himself, it looks like.

22-year-old C3 labrat who kidnapped Mahiro was referring to himself when he said he knew someone who's dad was killed by a vampire, wasn't he?

Taking bets on Mahiro's uncle--vampire, vampire hunter, or ultimate villain? I'm betting on the latter Wink
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Why would sloth as a characteristic quickly get a lot of food? Wouldn't it fit more to not want to do anything or take his time over it?

I had the same thought while watching. I am loathe to admit, but I do not believe we are watching a meticulously written show.

Agent355 wrote:
So, C3 are a shady bunch

Never trust an organization that's just one short of an explosive.

The episode was pretty fun, except that any time they try to sell us on some previously unforeseen dark side to the whole Servamp situation, it just doesn't work. The more the show settles into being goofy and theatrical, the better it is. Thankfully, it is still spending most of its time doing just that.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Taking bets on Mahiro's uncle--vampire, vampire hunter, or ultimate villain? I'm betting on the latter Wink

I'm betting he'll be Tsubaki's Eve or the person that made Tsubaki hate the world. Or Tsubaki's former Eve that was so mean and evil that made him hate the world.

Definitely not the most creative or best written show of the season, but it's a ton of fun
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4