• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - First Impressions: Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Ok, that joke with Jam being pissed with Ky marrying Dizzy is hilarious.
A shout-out to all Jam x Ky shippers!
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
Well, in my honest opinion the story is tiers Better than Blazblue's since Celica saga ruined anything. (Almost the majority of the west blame her for ruining the storyline due to being pure.)

Funny thing about Millia and Bayonetta.

I know there was some unnecessary stuff, but it gives more 'drama feel'. But also the chapters come as free patches to resolve anything but the ultimate fight.

Last edited by falcon.punch on Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
Guilty Gear: I will admit, Millia does have a pretty cool and appealing character design.

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age: I didn't much like the original version, so I doubt this HD remaster will change my mind, Zodiac Job System or otherwise. Including the Japanese voices is really not a deal-sweetener for that matter.

Quote:
...yes, even dopey street kid Vaan. There's nothing wrong with him.

Except he and Penelo literally had no reason to be tagging along. Even if Vaan had instead been simply relegated to some non-talking support role, his presence still wouldn't have amounted to anything. I'm sorry, but those two kids should have been replaced by a male Bangaa and one other race.

Cat Girl Without Salad: How can you go wrong with a game title like that? XD

Quote:
WayForward even gave it a storyline and had Cristina Vee voice heroine Kebako.

^This is actually a good reason to play it then.
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Except he and Penelo literally had no reason to be tagging along. Even if Vaan had instead been simply relegated to some non-talking support role, his presence still wouldn't have amounted to anything. I'm sorry, but those two kids should have been replaced by a male Bangaa and one other race.

I wouldn't take out Vaan or Penelo, but I do think Final Fantasy XII's main party needed more non-human characters. Give us a Seeq street tough or a Bangaa noble.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I liked FF12, probably the last FF I genuinely enjoyed, but Vaan and Penelo got no characterization or scope until Revenant Wings. Which was fine, in that game they were more than capable of handling the narrative, but in XII proper they were completely superfluous.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
It really is a shame that there's no way for people to get a copy of Catgirl Without Salad without bumming one off of a person who does. It's not the best shooter of the year, but the game does have a lot of nice thought put into it. The various weapons have fun gimmicks that never get too onerously difficult (though I never could get the timing for the DDR-gun down). And hey, there aren't enough games out there that are the result of devs just messing around and having fun with their own concept.

It would be nice if a version of the game comes out on mobile devices. WayForward does an amazing job at making incredibly-crafted smaller titles, and mobile seems to be the best place for them.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
There are many ways to describe FFXII's battle system, breezy not being one of them. If you want a GOOD version of what they were trying to do then look at Xenoblade and Xenoblade X's battle system.

As for Guilty Gear, once again it shows that while GG has better presentation with its story mode, Blazblue still smacks it down when it comes to substance and execution. Seriously, I wanna be able to fight Bedman with Slayer and let Sol have a final showdown at the big climax.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Cast in the name of Gear, ye not Guilty! But yeah, Revelator is shaping up to be good regardless!
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Been playing Guilty Gear since it hit the PS2. I picked up Xrd SIGN recently and it feels way more stiff than the older games - as if they tried to make it more like USF4 and not BlazBlue. That plus the "cutesy anime waifu" trope that seems to be invading the cast.....I feel a bit burnt out. Not sure if I'm going to jump on Revelator or not now.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I for oen welcome our miria reiji overlords.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Been playing Guilty Gear since it hit the PS2. I picked up Xrd SIGN recently and it feels way more stiff than the older games - as if they tried to make it more like USF4 and not BlazBlue. That plus the "cutesy anime waifu" trope that seems to be invading the cast.....I feel a bit burnt out. Not sure if I'm going to jump on Revelator or not now.

Yeah, but at least Elphelt improved from her pinky kawaii bride appearance that made me cringe with her white dress.

I miss the old GG designs anyway.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I've yet to find a physical copy of Revelator anywhere, even after visiting six different stores. I actually pre-ordered it at one of my 900 local GameStops, and they claim they haven't gotten it in yet. (Odd, given the company's insistence that customers pre-order every title in which they have any conceivable interest.)
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
No mention about Revalator's training system?
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Is Super Robot Wars V the first mainline game with english subs?
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Is Super Robot Wars V the first mainline game with english subs?

Among licensed series, yeah. But not the first in the series as the GBA OGs were localized, Endless Frontier 1 (did I forgot one?) and the upcoming Moon Dwellers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2