• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dentsu to Post Y5 Billion Loss on Geneon's Downsizing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
can anyone with an econ degree translate this for thous of us who don't have one?

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
starcade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
can anyone with an econ degree translate this for thous of us who don't have one?

Dentsu lost a ton of money with Geneon, and posted about a $40-45 million loss (depending on how it's calculated) as it had to downsize Geneon.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
so did the fall of geneon cause the loss or was it geneons existance that caused the loss.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Thing is how much of this cost was incurred by just the fact of them pulling out. You have to figure that they haven't come close to making any of there money back from all there licenses that are still mid-stream or even started.

Press Release wrote:
1. Loss due to business downsizing of Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc.

Dentsu's subsidiary, Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc., which undertakes animation related business in North America, has decided to downsize its scope of business and increase business efficiency. As a consequence, Dentsu will post extraordinary losses, etc. of 4.7 billion yen on a consolidated basis and 5.1 billion yen on a non-consolidated basis in its financial results for the first half of the fiscal year ending March 31, 2008.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heretic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Downsize its scope and increase business efficiency? Sounds like they are about ready to sell off their licenses to other US anime companies. Unless some announcement is made beforehand, at conventions I will be (politely) asking the companies is it possible for them to license "rescue" the shows that Geneon left unfinished. I think it is extremely unlikely that Geneon will hold those shows in license limbo, even if they are shows that they themselves helped to produce.

I'm not upset at Dentsu for doing what they did (its business afterall), and the fact that Geneon is not completely dead offers to me some reassurance that the titles they have are not dead either.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
The part I'm not understanding about all of this, and mind you, I am not an economics wiz, is that if downsizing Geneon resulted in massive losses then why did they do it? Was it to avoid even larger potential losses?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:45 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
The part I'm not understanding about all of this, and mind you, I am not an economics wiz, is that if downsizing Geneon resulted in massive losses then why did they do it? Was it to avoid even larger potential losses?

Yeah, they apparently figured that leaving Geneon as is would have resulted in much larger money losses in the large run.

Now, I'm not sure how Japanese law works, but this loss would make a nice tax write off, no? Maybe they'll take the hit now and take advantage of that and then try to recoup losses next year.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:

Mind you that if they did not shut down Geneon that they probably would not have lost 44 million in the next year. However if they have been taking, or expecting 10 million or higher losses over the next five years, with no expectation of recovering, due to there vision of the market, or there own lack of effort, than it is cheaper to pull out now and start seeing black again on there next years earnings report.

Edit:
HitokiriShadow beat me to it.

Still though I agree with Porcupine, they could have done this much more gracefully.

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
A business that is "down sizing" is not adding a profit to itself, or to its parent company simply because they are not concentrating on selling a product, they are concentrating on the downsize, but running costs are still being accumulated in the process. Therefore there is a loss in profits. Most of it is administration, removal of office equipment, and redundancy packages for the unfortunate staff that will be laid off. Yes it is a lot of money to lose but it will be worth it if the long term gain is a better more efficient business with lower overheads and outgoing costs. Short term pain for long term gain. If it works they will have made back all that money and more. If not they will hit the mud three miles down.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
starcade wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:

Dentsu lost a ton of money with Geneon, and posted about a $40-45 million loss (depending on how it's calculated) as it had to downsize Geneon.

That's what happens when everything you license is either loli-moe, softcore hentai or something that would feel right at home in an arthouse, and NOTHING THAT WOULD ACTUALLY SELL TO THE MAIN CONSUMER DEMOGRAPHIC

All that aside, thank you Geneon for forsaking profits in the interest of the little guy ^^
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
So I suppose this is good news since they're just downsizing and not going belly-up just like that. From how I interpret what's been said it means that they'll either become a middle-man liscensor like Kadokawa or just severely limit the titles they have and will liscense. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

I personally, wish they'd think about their customers who are effected by this a little more though and give us a status report on whether or not we'll need to expect some series to get totally dropped or whether they plan to sell their inventory to other companies.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I've been suggesting at least some of this is a cold business deal & less a reflection of

Quote:
That's what happens when everything you license is either loli-moe, softcore hentai or something that would feel right at home in an arthouse, and NOTHING THAT WOULD ACTUALLY SELL TO THE MAIN CONSUMER DEMOGRAPHIC

One can view this as in fat times companies dip into enterprises not in their main product line but they cut back in thin times. Maybe it's a reflection of their own issues. Maybe it's a reflection of their internal estimates of the Japanese economy for the next few yrs.

And maybe like a lot of us they're expecting a recession in the US which means if Geneon USA has been breaking even or making a modest profit, it's likely to slide downward & if Geneon USA has been losing money, it would probably only get worse.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean that license rescues are more than likely? They did just say that they're losing a total of 85 million dollars...
kitsunelady

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
starcade wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:

All that aside, thank you Geneon for forsaking profits in the interest of the little guy ^^

Hey, hey. Geneon held the licenses for a LOT of stuff that I like, and I find moe distasteful in the extreme, and own no "softcore hentai" either. =( What about Samurai Champloo? How can you not like Samurai Champloo?! :0 Or the Hellsing OVA? Or, or...Sailor Moon! Cardcaptor Sakura! Last Exile~! Well, the list goes on. t.t I'm pretty depressed by this, personally. There are a few series from them I haven't had the $$ to buy yet, and now they'll just get even MORE expensive. SIGH.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Hellsing OVA.... Karin... nooooo Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3