• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cinedigm / GKIDS Anime Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Just a heads up, there have been complaints on Twitter about the first set for Slam Dunk; it is missing the Japanese audio track and subtitles. It should be bilingual as advertised on Amazon and Rightstuf.

Interesting. I wonder why they would do that. Last I checked, the only English dub was a dub by Animax. Its one thing to make a release dub only, its another to release a dub-only of an Animax dub of all things. Its not even like Slam Dunk is a 90s/early 2000s anime that was popular with American kids like Digimon or Yugioh. I wonder why they thought this would be a good idea.

It does look like Rightstuf says that its a "dub-only" release on their website now
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
^The English dub included in these DVDs was commissioned by Toei's US branch back when they first started up here in around 2004-2005. They had it dubbed in Toronto (who were known for the original Sailor Moon dubs along with Beyblade & later Bakugan) and was never completed because Toei's original single DVDs were cancelled due to bad sales (for good reasons too because those discs were never promoted well and had major issues such as no chapter stops, episodes that send you back to their cheaply-made menus when finished & closed captioned dubtitles for the Japanese audio) so people were hoping that these new DVDs would be similar to Discotek's Fist of the North Star releases where it would include that dub on a certain number of sets along with the subs that have been streaming at Crunchyroll, Hulu & other sites on all sets but that's not what's happening here and judging by the fact that it is dub-only, this pretty much guarantees that Slam Dunk will not get a complete release here again.

It really sucks because Toei gave the exact same treatment to Air Master & Interlude with the former also getting cancelled because of it and I personally enjoyed those and had hoped that Cinedigm would pick them up if nobody else would, Saint Seiya & Mononoke issues aside, but now, HELL NO, I would much rather see Discotek pick those up because as mentioned with FotNS & certain other titles they have, they know how to handle incomplete dubs right along with better DVD authoring & subtitle timing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
NJ:
Quote:
this pretty much guarantees that Slam Dunk will not get a complete release here again.

Discotek could still pick it up, but at least you can still watch it legally on CR and Hulu. Personally, I'm hoping DT gets the movies, since I'm perfectly happy with the manga. But yeah, Toupee needs to be banned from being involved with these releases. And maybe forced to only license 'em out to competent companies, too.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Just a heads up, there have been complaints on Twitter about the first set for Slam Dunk; it is missing the Japanese audio track and subtitles. It should be bilingual as advertised on Amazon and Rightstuf.

Interesting. I wonder why they would do that. Last I checked, the only English dub was a dub by Animax. Its one thing to make a release dub only, its another to release a dub-only of an Animax dub of all things. Its not even like Slam Dunk is a 90s/early 2000s anime that was popular with American kids like Digimon or Yugioh. I wonder why they thought this would be a good idea.

It does look like Rightstuf says that its a "dub-only" release on their website now
At that ridiculously low price, I wouldn't be surprised if reverse-importation fears kept the Japanese track off those discs.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:31 am Reply with quote
Zalis: Has nothing to do with it. Toei should not be allowed anywhere near these home vid releases. That's all there is to it.

Last edited by GATSU on Thu May 14, 2015 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
At that ridiculously low price, I wouldn't be surprised if reverse-importation fears kept the Japanese track off those discs.

Had this been 10 years ago then maybe but I highly doubt it now, especially since the show was released on Blu-ray, Q-Tec upscale & all, in Japan recently and these clowns were never going to release it here on that format anyway so how would that make sense?

Plus this isn't the first time they released something so cheap since their sub-only Mononoke set costs around the same price.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
via TRSI...

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's: Season 2 Collection - 990 minutes - $44.99 - 9/8/15
Quote:
Contains episodes 65-97.

Spoken Languages: English.

---EDIT---

via Amazon

- Digimon Fusion: Season 1, Vol.1 - 330 minutes - $19.99 - 9/8/15
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
After Cinedigm released Mononoke, I had hopes they might follow in Siren Visual's footsteps and release some other overlooked masterpieces like Dennou Coil, Nodame Cantabile, and Chihayafuru. I suspect sales of Mononoke, or better lack thereof, might have scared them off. At least they licensed it to Crunchyroll.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
Mononoke is such an odd title to offer so cheaply. It probably gets curious buyers picking up a "bargain" but it can't be returning much of a profit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm thankful to own Mononoke anyway. Definitely not a title I ever expected to get licensed for North America.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, a blu-ray for Arc-V? That's pretty nice and unexpected.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3