• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Interview: One Piece: Burning Blood

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Mighty No. 9: More than anything, I just want to try Mighty No. 9 out and give it a chance.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE: I wonder what a real Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem title would have been like. Guess we'll never know.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Mighty No 9 has become the video game equivalent of the Ghostbusters reboot at this point.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Mighty No. 9 is mostly something I just want to be done at this point. >_>
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE: I wonder what a real Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem title would have been like. Guess we'll never know.

Considering that most detractors' idea of what constitutes a "real" SMT/FE crossover can best be described as "just slap them together and call it a day" I believe the word to describe that would be "boring."

Anyway, E3 was once again kind of a snooze fest. Aside from Zelda lighting up the show like a Christmas tree during Fourth of July it wasn't a very exciting year. The games that caught my attention during the show were ones I was already interested in anyway like Yakuza 0, Nioh, Monster Hunter, Zelda, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, SMT IV Apocalypse, and Agents of Mayhem so it was more of an update on them than anything newsworthy.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
There actually is a dark look on the idol industry in #FE, but from what we've seen it's been censored out from the American version along with pretty much everything else.

It will be interesting to see how Mighty Number 9 does after its numerous missteps. Even fanboys have their limits. Or maybe they'll just blame Capcom for the games failures.

-Stuart Smith
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Ever Oasis looks adorable, there better be a physical copy of that game because I want to buy it. I'm definitely getting Pokemon Sun and Moon, it looks good, my only complaint is all those tutorials, I hope you can turn those off, I've been playing Pokemon since G/R/B/Y, I don't need those tutorials.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
There actually is a dark look on the idol industry in #FE, but from what we've seen it's been censored out from the American version along with pretty much everything else.

So far as I'm aware, it's only the T&A that's been censored out of the outfits/images in the game, and then the swimsuit DLC isn't coming.

As for the "darker idol industry" tone of the game, (given that I have not had a chance to play the game yet) I've only been seeing that the original story in the JP version could have really pushed for a darker "exposé" -style commentary on Japan's idol industry, but they didn't push that plot element as far as they probably could have. (I'd be interested in knowing if the Persona Dance game on Vita actually went further with the idol thing or not, as I've not had the chance to play it either.)

Has any new info come to light that I've missed recently?

Regardless, censorship as pointless as this = buy cheap & used from a private seller. I still want to experience the story and characters, but Nintendo and Atlus ain't getting my money, some poor SOB that paid full price at launch for a "swiss cheese game" is. Cool
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
E3 was a mixed bag as per usual. But I am totally down for a new South Park RPG.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Considering that most detractors' idea of what constitutes a "real" SMT/FE crossover can best be described as "just slap them together and call it a day" I believe the word to describe that would be "boring."

Well I mean a genuine crossover that has some thought going into it. Like some creative way to connect the Fire Emblem world with the real world Japan of SMT. I know the typical plot idea is to say "our world and yours are connected by some dimensional thing", but it could be doable. I'm not really in the know about FE, but the series has had powerful magic artifacts right? And SMT is full of almighty demons and gods. It couldn't be that hard to come up with something coherent, especially since it's just connecting two worlds.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Mighty No 9 has become the video game equivalent of the Ghostbusters reboot at this point.

Was the Ghostbuster's reboot marred by it's studio canceling a set of projects around it following the departure of it's creator from the studio. Leading to a tidalwave of complaints from fans about how they're trying to kill the franchise. Eventually leading to the creator founding a new studio and using Kickstarter to fund a spiritual successor franchise which since getting funded and produced has been marred by controversy and delays.

belvadeer wrote:
I know the typical plot idea is to say "our world and yours are connected by some dimensional thing", but it could be doable. I'm not really in the know about FE, but the series has had powerful magic artifacts right?

As far as I know not ones capable of branching or allowing access to other dimensions.....though it wouldn't be improbable though.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
More that the controversy is so toxic that any merits of the actual work are irrelevant.

Most of it being the developers fault. Prom night...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
^ Chickens coming home to roost.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Tōkyō Mirage Sessons actually does cover the dark side of the idol industry, at least for a bit, but thanks to the heavy-handed censorship that it suffered through its localization process, Western gamers will have missed it completely.

Considering that Nintendo of America will be selling TMS #FE sub-only, as well as censored, its sales potential will be seriously limited.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Well I mean a genuine crossover that has some thought going into it.

Again, what is with this "genuine" idea? The game is either a crossover or it's not, and considering how the game combines the various gameplay and story elements of the two franchises it definitely is, just in an inventive manner (which requires a LOT of thought). The FE characters are essentially the Demons from SMT (or Personas of the Persona sub-series), the main characters are clearly based on the various FE archetypes (the Lord, the Caeda, the Navarre, the Cain, the Gordon, etc) but instead it's set in modern day Tokyo (a staple of the SMT franchise). Of course there are also the ways the two franchises have intersected with the plot being about cults or people unleashing otherworldly horrors and emphasizing relationships between part members. And then of course there are little Easter eggs like Shio the shopkeep (who's essentially Anna), the various establishments named after SMT demons, and other bits.

What you seem to be asking for is a Super Robot Wars type crossover. There is a place for stuff like that (see also Project X Zone 2, which oddly had Lucina and Chrom guest star), but it's not very original or inventive. The best kinds of gaming crossovers juxtapose two disparate genres or titles to create something unique. Nintendo and Koei Tecmo did it with both Pokemon Conquest and Hyrule Warriors, then Bandai-Namco partnered with them to make Pokken, and now we have Tokyo Mirage Sessions. And I doubt it'll be the last time we see Nintendo do them.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
How's grand kingdom? It sounds interesting, but I'm finding that a lot of the vita to PS4 port end up being very lackluster game so I'm a bit weary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2