• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad the series ended (for me since I just binge watched it). I felt the ending was "right," but a bit rushed and a few minor nit-picky questions left unanswered.

While I felt the actual art was iffy at times, and good at others, the story was what really got me in. I loved how every episode there were twists and turns. I like how most of the characters went through dips and turns, not just simple growth. Some grew, then collapsed then grew again. Salia was annoying the entire show however.

Anyways. Overall I give the show a B+. It left me actually caring about what happened to the characters after the credits finished.

Just my 2 yen.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
I was wondering if there has been any discussion about the de-censoring of the series from its staff? Specifically, the lack of nipples.
I figure it is standard anime cost cutting. For butts (which are lovingly rendered - a buttman/woman must have worked on this series) all they have to do is remove the fog, but for nipples, they have to remove the fog and add the nipples (a rather expensive task considering the amount of topside nudity). They calculated they would please no one with front facing red/pink circles and would not get enough additional sales to justify all-angle anatomically correct nipples, so they just left them out.
The other possible reason is more middle-fingering of the otaku crowd by the director. spoiler[He already "soiled" their two waifus and made their stand-in the bad guy], so this might be more of his doing.
Just wanted to know if there was any official discussion of the topic.

[Moderator Note: This was spliced in from a separate thread. Such discussions should take place in series-specific threads if one exists. - Key]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
I was wondering if there has been any discussion about the de-censoring of the series from its staff?

In case you are still interested and still around...

I just got the first part BD distribution which has an English dub, which so far is excellent. I watched about the first three episodes. For fan-service they did clean up a bit but they didn't add nipples to the art work and in my view it doesn't need it. They also have some different art which has probably been visible in Japan and unlicensed streams for a long time but never US-side.

As one example, in the infamous welcoming-Ange-to-her-new-home scene in Episode 1, when Jill throws Ange face down on the table in the stream, Jill's cape covers Ange's rear end. On the BD art it does not. The shower scenes I don't recall if they were ever steamed out but they aren't on the BD. I didn't go back and check because I really don't care that much.

Speaking of that scene, this time around I noticed a major discrepancy from what I see now and my memory. At the time I recall there was some debate as to just what it was that Jill did to Ange. At the time I thought it was ambiguous. Some people though she attached an spinal implant or something, others insisted that Ange was raped. However the dialog on the English-dub BD makes it pretty clear that spoiler[Ange is getting a cavity search.] It doesn't make much sense why the top commander of the base would be doing that instead of a medic or, more fundamentally, spoiler[what they would expect to find there.] But there it is.

Curious about my memory so I went back to the CR stream and discovered the dialog there is consistent with the dub. They use different words in the sub but I don't recall it from my first viewing a year and a half ago. Getting old I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 28 of 28