• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - 8 Man After

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
For Cross Ange, I see they didn't go with the mugshot motif that the Japanese anime volumes used. Kinda glad cause it seems more like a joke. I like the cover of the western release.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
From what I can gather 8 Man After, the biggest problem with as that it tried to modernise a silly 60s detective show.

they should also bring over the other Gaiking as well, the one with Mayumi Tanaka.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
they should also bring over the other Gaiking as well, the one with Mayumi Tanaka.

I'm with ya on that one. While I'm glad it's on hulu, I still want it on DVD.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I think 8Man After is one of the weaker "gritty reboots" of old kids anime that I've seen. The neo-noir, Blade Runner-esque setting wasn't bad per se, but 8Mans main "power" is that he can run fast, which looks as stupid as it sounds when it's supposed to be a more serious crime story. Devilman at least had an aesthetic & character that worked in a more violent setting. 8Man does not.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Cool collection! Those European Wii, DS, and 3DS boxes look really nice together compared to the mish-mash of colors on my Nintendo game shelf.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
The Gaiking remake is pretty decent. FYI, the Shout Factory English dub of Gaiking - which cuts the original together as a movie, is available for streaming on their website.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Black_Kendoka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
I think 8Man After is one of the weaker "gritty reboots" of old kids anime that I've seen. The neo-noir, Blade Runner-esque setting wasn't bad per se, but 8Mans main "power" is that he can run fast, which looks as stupid as it sounds when it's supposed to be a more serious crime story. Devilman at least had an aesthetic & character that worked in a more violent setting. 8Man does not.

When 8Man After was on the SciFi Channel, I was taken aback by the animation style and grittiness that it had when compared to the normal Saturday morning fare that I had grown accustomed to. Heck, I thought his main power looked cool, but I guess that could also be attributed to the differences between Japanese and American animation at the time. However, despite that, I found the OVA to have quite a dull story. I watched the OVA again last year and it's really quite dated using today's standards of animation and storytelling. The funny things is that I would totally buy this anyways; mostly due to the nostalgia factor of it being among the first anime series I watched growing up.

As for the Devilman comparison, I'm not sure what you're getting at in relation to 8Man and 8Man After. The manga was always quite gritty and serious, especially towards the end. Even the Devilman Lady spinoff was the same way. I could count the 70s series as being somewhat of a funny reboot, but even that was being made concurrently with the manga (according to Wikipedia anyways).
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I've considered uploading images of my anime collection to Shelf Life, but I'm not sure if I should, because it's honestly quite tiny in comparison to the other collections I've seen here.

Most of my collection is comprised of manga (I have a couple shelves dedicated to it, with my American/European comic books mixed in-- I haven't counted to see which I own more of). I have a couple anime DVD's and licensed video games, but not many, both due to budget and no real place to buy anime nearby. I only own a few inexpensive anime toys and keychains, and most of my posters are laying in my desk drawer at the moment. Maybe I'll send in my collection once I've figured out where to put some of the posters.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
I've considered uploading images of my anime collection to Shelf Life, but I'm not sure if I should, because it's honestly quite tiny in comparison to the other collections I've seen here.

Most of my collection is comprised of manga (I have a couple shelves dedicated to it, with my American/European comic books mixed in-- I haven't counted to see which I own more of). I have a couple anime DVD's and licensed video games, but not many, both due to budget and no real place to buy anime nearby. I only own a few inexpensive anime toys and keychains, and most of my posters are laying in my desk drawer at the moment. Maybe I'll send in my collection once I've figured out where to put some of the posters.

Post your collection. Small collections have been highlighted previously and some of those collections were primarily manga and figures. Once you display it well it will be appreciated. I personally have no intention of posting my collection until shelf life starts a worst collection display section. I have no sense of esthetics and I am too lazy to dust and clean up my collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1