• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Twin Star Exorcists

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Australian JRPG Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I think I would have died if I drank the Benio Special.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

Well, this was easily my favorite episode since the premiere. If we could get something along these lines every week, I'd have a much higher opinion of the show overall. God help me, I even laughed at Kinako.
Amuris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I think the explanation of Benio's parents death while Rokuro was fighting Kamui would be easier to appreciate if you look at it as developing Kamui's character, not Benio's. Personality and goal wise, he's kinda an evil Saitama. He's a villain as a hobby.
yappers4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
This anime is on my to-watch list. Does it follow the manga or does it mostly do its own thing with subtle nods to the manga?
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
This anime is on my to-watch list. Does it follow the manga or does it mostly do its own thing with subtle nods to the manga?

I've not personally read the manga, but from what I've heard from a handful of viewers is that this adaptation picks and chooses chapters to adapt directly, while making some pretty liberal changes throughout the rest of it.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:

From the show's Wikipedia page
Quote:
Kinako (きなこ?)
Voiced by: Jun Fukuyama[3]
An anime original character who is Benio's familiar.

And that character appears almost every episode.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Ep 14: Re-cap episodes are usually tedious and this one was no exception. There was a little original material there.

It's going to be an uphill battle for Otomi and she really should quit because she isn't going to get any further.

I sort of liked Rokuro's reactions to Benio's stupid story. He was getting into it.

Not much more to say.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 14

Had this been a humorous one-off, I might have enjoyed it, but once it became apparent that we had a clip show on our hands, the whole thing just felt kind of tainted. I'll say this, though - the wraparound segments looked very nice. Aside from one weird shot of Benio at the beginning of the episode, the general aesthetics were in top form.

A few of the jokes worked for me, too. Rokuro asking Mayura if she prepared her tsukkomi retorts in advance was pretty funny, and I thought the Ohagi Man stuff was amusing until they completely ran it into the ground.
yappers4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
yappers4 wrote:

I've not personally read the manga, but from what I've heard from a handful of viewers is that this adaptation picks and chooses chapters to adapt directly, while making some pretty liberal changes throughout the rest of it.

I hope it's still enjoyable (when it comes to anime, I tend to take reviews with a grain of salt). Nonetheless, I think it'll be an anime where I also have to read the manga like D.Gray-Man and Blue Exorcist. Laughing
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:

The anime seems to change quite a few things from the manga, mainly in the form of pacing. Certain scenes or entire arcs are rearranged to fit the format better (the battle against Kamui is placed at the mid-season break for instance, probably because their first "resonance" was a fitting moment for the mid-season finale). The anime has also created at least 2 anime-only characters. It seems like they started adapting this way too early and now they have to invent new stuff as they go along.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:

It takes the events of the manga, dramatically slows them down with filler, and then picks and chooses moments to use from the manga, alters them, and rearranges them while its budget begs for mercy it knows deep down it will never have.

I don't like it as much as I like the manga, but I wouldn't call it unwatchable. 2.5 or 3 out of 5, for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
yea, manga is much more enjoyable. They are planning on doing a 52 episode anime, for a manga that only has 32 chapters out. They basically have to pull a One Piece where they do one manga chapter an episode (dragging out lots of scenes) and then throw in a ton of filler episodes to fill in the rest of the time. I don't know who signed off on this series lasting that long but it's basically going to be the original Full Metal Alchemist anime all over again, where they run out of material and have to just make up stuff.

I should have held off on reading the manga because it becomes difficult to enjoy most of the episodes when they throw off the pacing and story that I'm familiar with. The core episodes that DO follow the manga are pretty good though, which is what is holding the series together.

Sadly, ep 15 is another filler so I sort of skimmed through it briefly before moving on to the next series to watch.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
"Well, we've committed to making 52 of these things, so how 'bout we give... what's his name? The kid with the braid? Anyway, let's give that guy his own episode."
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
Ep 20 review wrote:
Fushihara sets him up on a blind date with the charming Haruka Kaibara, and they both hit it off pretty well.

"Pretty well?" I was sort of blown away how she seemed to take an instant liking to him. A normal anime romance takes about 88 episodes before they get to holding hands -- I'll refer you to Rokuro and Benio here -- and this girl is disappointed they aren't making out on their first date! Of course he has to be all "conservative" here. Anything else is an anime divide by zero.
Quote:
As Seigen rightfully points out, if they go into battle giving anything less than their all, Benio and Rokuro won't just end up battered and bruised; they could very well toss away their lives.

I keep wondering if Seigen isn't the bigger problem here. Yes he seems to be awesome strong, dusting off that Fushihara corruption which Benio/Rokuro couldn't touch without breaking a sweat. He mopes around and mumbles about his pathetic his students are but never seems to do much to actually help them learn. Unless you count standing aside until they fail then the scathing "don't come back you're deadweight" lecture as some sort of teaching experience. It seems clear that the two middle schoolers are biddable but simply don't have any idea on how to proceed.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
[Unless you count standing aside until they fail then the scathing "don't come back you're deadweight" lecture as some sort of teaching experience.

Didn't he just give them that lecture because he wanted them to leave before realizing that the Kegare was actually Fushihara?

Anyway, although this was one of the better episodes, the only reason i'm still watching this series is that it's being released on a day when absolutely nothing else that interests me comes out...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 16