• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bungo Stray Dogs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peebs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
I clapped when Francis came out of that helicopter. And I was even more thrilled when I finally recognized his voice. Then there's the awkward "old sport" coming from Japanese lips that made me cringe. Overall, I'm happy with this new bad guy.

And speaking of bad guy, half way through the episode I was happy to see a new set of bad guys now that the conflict with the Port Mafia was more or less resolved.

I was puzzled by the red haired girl. I knew it couldn't be Ann Rice since she's not dead. I couldn't figure it out. I'm glad Rebecca knows her stuff or I would've continued to be lost.

Am looking forward to the next cour and hopefully licenses for the manga and the anime.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if Mori Ogai's design is a Steins;Gate reference. It might be a coincidence, but he looks almost exactly like Okabe Rintarou, and his birth name was Rintarou.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Kinda figured we'd be seeing an Agency / P.M. team-up at some point. The first half of last week's episode was likely an attempt to make the latter seem a little more sympathetic in the audience's eyes.

I know he shares a name with a celebrated author and poet, but is Kenji also supposed to resemble Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn? Or are Western literary characters strictly The Guild's domain?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I think he's supposed to look like Giovanni from Night on the Galactic Railway, but to Western viewers that translates into "Huck Finn." I believe Mark Twain is a character later on, so it'll be interesting to see how he looks.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
That was easily the best episode of the season, unfortuantely it was also the last, but at least it'll probably get me motivated enough to check out s2. I loved The Guild (F. Scott Fitzgerald alone made this show ten times more attractive for me...Cool ) and the Port Mafia boss was also pretty interesting...i was half-expecting Atsushi to ask Lucy to join his harem of orphan girls the agency there at the end, but fortunately that didn't happen (yet).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
^ Exactly what I was thinking about Lucy. Smile

This series does seem to have an awful lot of orphans. Though he's probably a tad too early for this bunch, Dickens ought to be a featured writer in this. He'd feel right at home.

Quote:
In any event, I believe Lucy is one of the only (if not THE only) anime characters I've ever seen with braces.

The only ones I can think of are Hanako Tanaka from Zetman, and Nobuyuki Mizuta, Midosuji's disciple from Yowapeda Grande Road. Just look at that grill. Smile

+ 光

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I've found some interesting info on Reddit which could further add to the 'layer of references to real authors':

Ahenshihael wrote:
Sakaguchi Ango in real life was an author who presented back then conflicting and controversial stance on the idea of "Japanese Pride". While he used to hop from genre to genre having quite an eclectic writing resume, his key works always focused on the cultural and social issues within Japan. His key work, Darakuron, literally paints the defeated post-war Japan as healthier and more truthful than the pre-war Japan blinded by nationalism and pride. While the ongoing atmosphere in Japan was that Japan was "wronged", Sakguchi was one of the first writers to be truly disillusioned with the cultural conservatism that led them to the situation they were in. Japan did not want to hear they were wrong, they did not want to acknowledge that they comitted crimes or did horrifying things, but Ango still wrote about it as if it was not a taboo - the tone of his works almost made fun out of the stagnant traditions and nationalism that pre-war Japan was so embroiled in.

"Instead of traditions and beauty, we need more convenience in our lives. Destroying temples in Kyoto would not bother us at all(as a nation), but the moment the street cars stopped running, we'd be in trouble. I don't care for Horyuji or Byoduin even if they were burned to the ground. If need arose, we might as well do that and build a parking lot there."

Just like most of the authors the characters in Bungou Stray Dogs are based upon, Ango's life was a tragic one as he lost his father due to cancer and inherited a giant debt. Due to the nature of his writing, he most likely spent his years with his life being in constant danger(alas despite censorship and conservative anger, a big portion of post-war Japanese public was enamored with idea of breaking away from the past and embraced that aspect of his works despite the "taboo" context of it). And while he did manage to create a life and a family for himself, he died from a brain aneurysm.

Likewise Oda Sakunosuke also was another author who did not fit the "traditional writing style" of the times. Interestingly Oda WAS a real life friend of Dazai Osamu. In fact, the toast to the stray dogs is especially fittting as modern critics group Oda, Sakaguchi, Ishikawa and Dazai as the "Japanese Decadents" - self-destructive disillusioned outcasts within the writing circles and within Japanese literature. Dazai, Oda and Sakaguchi were the stray dogs of literature(Bungou) of their times. When Oda died from punctured lung, Dazai was disheartened , to the point that his death led to Dazai writing a heated and emotional eulogy which condemned the literature's "traditions" that caused a lot of Oda's works to be banned or shunned. Oda's characters, just like Oda in the show, were frank, stubborn individuals driven by the conflict between their beliefs and the basic need of survival. His works explored the lives and customs and sometimes futility of the "common folk" of Japan, depicting the cruel and dark life of postWW2 Japan.

About the ball, I've seen a slight different reading of it. It is Ango who betrayed Oda and set the trap for him, so it is likely Ango who planted the ball. The ball in this case is called a 'temari'. As a gift it symbolizes deep friendship and loyalty, and the brilliant blue color expresses a wish for a happy life. Which makes it quite ironic and sad that Ango would give something with a message of 'felicitations' as a parting gift.

[EDIT] Also, Dazai's own habit of picking up orphans didn't start with Atsushi. Remember, Dazai took Akutagawa out of the slums and made him his apprentice the day Dazai became a Port Mafia executive. So, if you look at it this way: Akutagawa's Atsushi's predecessor, or 'senpai', if you will. If Dazai was indeed inspired by Oda saving orphans, then he started with Akutagawa. Unluckily for Akutagawa, it wasn't Oda who found him first. That would have been an entirely different story.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure i understand how Oda's power worked. Did he need to consciously activate it or did it automatically react to impending danger? Either way, i don't really get why a ball rolling towards him out of nowhere after he'd just escaped a building full of bombs, didn't make him suspicious...

But overall i really like this arc (and Oda), it certainly explains Akutagawa's...conflicting emotions for Dazai.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
^ I know, right? I was antsy the whole time they were just standing around talking outside the building, waiting for someone to snipe Ango at the least. And then this ball comes rolling out - I'd have been hightailing it to the woods before it got within ten feet, let alone pick it up. You want your hand blown off? (Yeah, I know it'd be hard to hide explosives in a paper ball without it being obvious, but it could be done)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:52 am Reply with quote
Oda made a brief remark to Ango about how his power wasn't something he could control, or at least not just call up, so I think he may essentially just have random flashes of short-term precognition.
+ 光

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Oda made a brief remark to Ango about how his power wasn't something he could control, or at least not just call up, so I think he may essentially just have random flashes of short-term precognition.

Plus the power shows what danger he will be in. With the sniper, Oda could see that he would be shot so it gave him time to dodge, whereas with the ball it also shows that Oda that he will be poisoned, but by then Oda had already fell into the trap.

There must be some other way for Oda to use his power if he truly can be as scary as Dazai says he can be.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:34 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

Now that you mention it, i recall him saying something along that line. Still doesn't explain why he just touched the highly suspicious ball instead of running for the hills...
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
It is going to be a sad day when we drop Oda as a POV character and go back to Atsushi. Like this character so much more.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
GlassesMan wrote:
It is going to be a sad day when we drop Oda as a POV character and go back to Atsushi. Like this character so much more.

I hope he at least becomes a recurring character. He's more interesting than most of the actual main cast and this season has been way better than the first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15

That was a pretty powerful episode, and a very good review, not to mention helpful, since I'm fairly ignorant of most of the showcased writers and their works. So thanks for filling in those details that add meaning to this.

I guess we're just to assume that Oda is ultimately impervious to poison then? I suppose it's a detail that doesn't matter in the face of his continued living, but a brief shot of his rescue or something would've made it less distracting, since I kinda kept waiting for an explanation to pop up. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12