• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream D. Gray-man, Servamp, Tales of Zestiria, Danganronpa 3, Love Live! Sunshi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:

Except you didn't read the part FUNimation grabs Latin America for a number of shows and doesn't offer an option to stream to these regions.

Yes, I saw that. I also saw the little note in the beginning of the announced that all shows, except for Love Live and One Piece, are licensed for the U.S. Canada, UK and Ireland. no mention of rights for Latin America for any of them.

The thing is, FUNimation doesn't generally announce that they have the Latin American rights (same with Sentai, though they've recently been making more of an effort to do so), but there is a number of titles that they do and these regions get screwed as a result. Only hope would be is if FUNimation doesn't have exclusivity on these said shows and Daisuki (and as unlikely as it is, Crunchyroll) can pick it up. Otherwise...

I also just asked a buddy of mine, but it appears no Latin American streaming service really does simulcasts in these regions, so there is that as well (or to his knowledge anyways).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:

Except you didn't read the part FUNimation grabs Latin America for a number of shows and doesn't offer an option to stream to these regions.

Yes, I saw that. There's no mention on Funi's blog that they have streaming coverage in Latin American territories for any of these shows

Of course they're not gonna say they have it for Latin America because they don't offer the service here, their videos are region-locked for us. But the license they buy is for all the Americas as a region. It's no coincidence that 99% of Funi shows never make it to Latam legally, not even through Netflix, forget about Crunchy. Only the ones that get streamed on Daisuki (from this season only ConRevo and HaiFuri), and they always are in delaycast, sometimes of more than 2 weeks.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to assume that Funimation's pick-up of Love Live Sunshine is only for streaming and not home video. I'll be surprised if the latter turns out to be the opposite.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
Funimation puts most of their streams on Youtube, so I never understood why they don't allow Latin America to watch their shows on Youtube, since, afaIk, Youtube is available globally. They really have no excuse to leave any region out. Does anyone know why they region lock their Youtube streams?
Cosmic Luffy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
honestly as much as i love LA and from the looks of the show and i agree that LA did a great job with it but FUNImation has done a brilliant job with most of their anime. like someone said this is an entirely new set of characters so we can expect casts like Lara Woodhul, Luci Christian, Jamie Marchi, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Lydia Mackay, Brina Palencia, Brittany Karbowski, Lindsey Seidel, Alison Viktorin, Anastasia Munoz, Bryn Appril, Trina Nishimura, Sarah Wiedenheft, Morgan Garret, Monica Rial, Tia Ballard, and a couple more others.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:59 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
Kb24lol wrote:
Dont think theyll dub lovelive anyway considering actors like Cristina vee, Erica mendez, and lendbeck, kira buckland, etc... all do bangzoom/aniplex dubs which are in Cali. Besides Caitlin it'll be hard to bring the whole cast to Texas unless they do the same thing with blazblue alter memory and how they dubbed that.

When NISA acquired Love Live School Idol Project S1 I'm sure they anticipated it would only cater and sell to a niche crowd, the complete opposite happened. S1 premium editions sold out and got 3 different printings which is completely unheard of for NISA. The S2 premium edition when it was released with the dub sold out in TWO days after release. I'd probably be easy to assume Love Live has made NISA more money then any other anime they've ever released in the past and became a huge hit in the west, with a close possible second being Toradora. While there's no guarantee that Sunshine will reach the same success as the original series has, even myself whose favorite anime IS Love Live can't see it it happening again, the Love Live series is far too popular and a lucrative money maker that I can't see any possible way Sunshine doesn't get dubbed.

As to the VA, I actually think Funi dubbing sunshine with their talent is for the best. For starters Sunshine is a completely new set of girls and not a continuation of muse so even if they did make a cameo in sunshine they'd most likely be limited to very few roles/appearances. Both seasons of Love Live and the movie had a TON of characters that require VA's, which with the NA VA market set up the way it is, union/non union, LA/Texas etc... the original series dub had to use a ton of the available LA talent so I have my doubts that LA would be able to dub 9 more girls + many other minor characters without using any of the VA that was used for the original series. I love LA voice talent but with Funimation dubbing Sunshine you have a whole different set of voice talent that's available to be used so the chances of needing to reuse certain VA for sunshine drop pretty much completely.

Ya you make good points, I just thought the same girls/characters (from the show were gonna be the same) otherwise if not they could totally dub it and just based on sales they most likely will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6