• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hundred (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Hundred is not a good show, I could point to several shows that are similar to this one, and I don't think Hundred actually really improved on them. I don't really understand why the brother needed to have the villain to attack, if only to say that he is another threat. Didn't they say in the conversation that it was the music that woke her up? Is there something we were told that would need Liza to be awake?

Lets go through the characters. Hayato is boring, there was like nothing interesting about his character, or barely any reason all these girls should look up to him, instead the show seemed to kind of cop out and say he had some sort of childhood connection to most of them. I will get back to Emilia, but I will talk about Claire first. Clair was introduced as a hard-ass, but I used a less nice word, and part of that was that I could see from the beginning that the stance of that character would change until it made no sense how she was presented at first. Claire seemed to mutate into a stupid tsundere who totally has the hots for Hayato, and despite her level of authority she does not be mature but instead seems to use it to force him to listen to her and gets violently prissy at him having interest in any other girl. This does not only make sense for her role, but makes her feel like a horrible person. I barely want to get into the idol character, Sakura, she comes a few strokes short of being a total psychopath, but it is offset by what I would say are her acting uncharacteristic or in a way that the plot demanded.

Now Emilia. Lets not give the show any credit, absolutely everyone (all viewers) knew that she was a girl at the beginning. Maybe Hundred thought that it was being smart, but it really was not. I said at the beginning that her actions seemed kind of in line of what the main character should be, standing up to the unfair decision, yet somehow the job of proving the morals fell to Hayato. I will say that she was one of the few interesting characters, but she is still a mess within the show. The kiss and such at the end of the last episode might be cute or whatever, but the both sided declaration of love comes out of nowhere, because Hayato had all intents and purposes had been ignoring her from the supposed role of true love, likely in favour of this being a harem. Hayato and Emilia actually made out early on, it looked like we may have a case of true pairing quite easily, but it was all so non committal from Emilia having to pretend to be a boy most of the time, because this needs to be a harem. To have it so suddenly resolved because the show was ending just felt disingenuous.

That was the characters and their themes, I kind of feel like there is not much to say about the rest of the show. But probably that that this final moment of him managing to save the girl was just not that good, like it did not feel like there was the needed themes to bring us to this climax. The previous episode I would say was also very awful, the concert being among the worst of the show. Usually animation was about middle of the road, it did occasionally have some interesting action animation, but not enough to really push it up.

I give a rating of Not really good (4/10), because it feels like the best way to describe it. These show can really get away with in general not very good, I can watch and enjoy them despite that, but the promise it might have shown a little early on was kind of let down into it becoming a bit bottom of the barrel. I imagine it could possibly move out of that, but not a lot of hope even if it did have another season.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I give a rating of Not really good (4/10), because it feels like the best way to describe it.

I'll go with 5/10. I didn't have very high expectations going in and it met every one of them.

The lead male wasn't actually ever pushed around by the harem girls. He was able to hold his ground when he wanted to so I will give him credit for that. That credit was almost blown with the stupid crippled little sister bit which was just corny with no redeeming value.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness this show is over. I was initially drawn in by the obvious fanservice (naughty me) and I paid the price for it. Sometimes you start watching a series, find it to be dull, but since you've gotten halfway, you feel like you have to see it through to the end. For the obvious cliches they played on in the series, they were all dull and boring. The only thing great that I got out of this show was the surprisingly catchy OP, which I did end up getting the CD single for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5