• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
A monotone, no effort kind of female who may be made to do something by a male character makes me think of Dorothy and Roger from Big O. But I don't recall him making her act...
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Hello, here's another question I had in mind. The late Monty Oum, creator of RWBY, also made this great action fighting animation called Dead Fantasy, which is really intense and enjoyable. Let's say that in a few years time when animation technologies and skills advances considerably, and someone makes a remake of it that's several times better than the original, and it becomes a big hit. Would that be acceptable, or would it be considered stealing his thunder? Would it help if you make it a tribute to the creator?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
VicViper_Mk2 wrote:
Hello, here's another question I had in mind. The late Monty Oum, creator of RWBY, also made this great action fighting animation called Dead Fantasy, which is really intense and enjoyable. Let's say that in a few years time when animation technologies and skills advances considerably, and someone makes a remake of it that's several times better than the original, and it becomes a big hit. Would that be acceptable, or would it be considered stealing his thunder? Would it help if you make it a tribute to the creator?

Tributes to inspirations seem fine to me. Lets not skirt too much around the fact that a number of Monty's projects, including this particular ones were fan projects using existing characters. The question of a remake is kind of missing the point, what is cool is that creators make things that are cool using what they can. Inspiration is part of the industry.

Maybe off topic or I am saying something with not much authority, but there are a couple anime I think of in terms of being part of inspiration, more specifically with RWBY. I was watching a video a while back with Rubber Ross where he mentioned something Monty showed him from the anime Black Rock Shooter that he wanted to incorporate into the next season of RWBY, and although he did not manage to make that season they had actually managed to include that thing. Although I have not seen anything officially on it, I got the strange feeling while watching the more recent Bubuki Buranki that it feels oddly inspired in part by RWBY.

I don't know if this has helped or not.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
VicViper_Mk2 wrote:
Would that be acceptable, or would it be considered stealing his thunder?

If it's an actual remake, think it would be called stealing his intellectual property, which his estate should still hold the rights to unless this happens 75 or 100 years from now, or whatever Disney has gotten Congress to extend copyrights to. And yes, paying tribute in the form of contractually agreed upon royalties would help. (not an IP lawyer or RWBY follwer)
XepptizZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

I don't frequent here often, but recently for the first time I couldn't find the title of an anime I partially watched. I've been at it for a few hours now so I figured I'd give this a try.

It's a harem/school anime with magic (I know, narrows it down quite a lot, right? Razz) The main is a guy who unwittingly enrolled in a school for magic and is forced at the school ceremony to battle against a high level student right off the bat, but is saved by another student who claims to be his fiancee. Similarly another girl who knows the main from childhood wanted to intervene as well.

The student the main has to face of against looks like a loli with some kind of brother/hate/love feelings she can't explain and antagonizes the main a lot because of it.

Quite soon however they all end up living together in the same dorm for "reasons" where the supposed fiancee is way to forward, often waking up with the main. The childhood friend trying to keep her affections hidden, while being ridden with jealousy because of the aforementioned fiancee.

The main has some secret hidden power ofcourse which only shows in extreme situations.

And one of the important things I remember is that one of the roommates and the main end up in a school committee that has to make sure all battles at school are done fairly as battles are a way to settle things.

the first appearing of this is when a pretty big guy battles a girl so she has to date him or something like that.

Well, taht's pretty much what I remember. I hope it's enough. It just showed up due to youtube's autoplay one day and I just kept watching, but never bothered to remember the title, though it had something to do with the name of the commitee he was in, so taht commitee thing was quite a big deal.

Anyways, hope someone can help, thanks already.
pibburns

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
XepptizZ wrote:
Hello everyone,

I don't frequent here often, but recently for the first time I couldn't find the title of an anime I partially watched. I've been at it for a few hours now so I figured I'd give this a try.

It's a harem/school anime with magic (I know, narrows it down quite a lot, right? Razz) The main is a guy who unwittingly enrolled in a school for magic and is forced at the school ceremony to battle against a high level student right off the bat, but is saved by another student who claims to be his fiancee. Similarly another girl who knows the main from childhood wanted to intervene as well.

Maken-Ki!
XepptizZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
pibburns wrote:
XepptizZ wrote:
Hello everyone,

Maken-Ki!

Thank you, thank you so much Very Happy.
pibburns

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Xirix wrote:
This may be a tough one to ID since I remember so little of it, but one of the characters was an extremely monotone, no-effort kind of woman and one of the guy characters I believe has her do some acting for some reason, which is really ineffectual and hilarious due to her deadpan monotone.

Here are a few of instances where something like this happens.

-- Episode 298 of Bleach in which Renji is "directing" Rukia and Orihime, among others, in a movie. Both Rukia and Orihime provide flat performances.

-- Episode 29 of Sgt. Frog. Natsumi's performance in the school play is stilted. The director is a woman, though.

-- Petralka in episode 10 of Outbreak Company. Her performance in Shinichi's film is slightly flat and replete with misspoken lines, although her subjects seem to like the result.
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
There's also the episode of Ouran High School Host Club where Haruhi is forced to act in a play for the rival school and is very bad at it.
Andika CL Atmadja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
guys, can you help me to find what is anime called ? i forget the title but that anime is one of my childhood memory.

so the clue are : - the anime was showed in spacetoon channel.
- young Girl with kimono is main character
- old white cat who can dance ballet (one of episodes)
- the graphics almost look like the song of tentomushi
- so far i only remember one episode : so the episode tell about Mafia who
steal the old white cat since he can dance ballet. And also there are lion who can sing.

please help me Sad Sad
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Andika, when was your childhood? A time frame could help greatly in identifying the title.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm new here my name is eric..Anime smile nice meeting you guys
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Hello Eric, and welcome to ANN!
Please introduce yourself in this forum.
pibburns

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Andika CL Atmadja wrote:
guys, can you help me to find what is anime called ? i forget the title but that anime is one of my childhood memory.

so the clue are : - the anime was showed in spacetoon channel.
- young Girl with kimono is main character
- old white cat who can dance ballet (one of episodes)
- the graphics almost look like the song of tentomushi
- so far i only remember one episode : so the episode tell about Mafia who
steal the old white cat since he can dance ballet. And also there are lion who can sing.

Many of the animated series (not just Japanese anime) broadcast on the various Spacetoon channels never received an English language release (or in my case, a French language release either). Luckily many folks on AnimeNewsNetwork are familiar with such series. I don't recognize the episode you describe, but hopefully someone else will.

As moderator Key suggests, it would help if you could tell us approximately what year you watched the episode you are seeking. It would also help to know the broadcast language. The "home" language for Spacetoon is Arabic, but there are non-Arabic stations in the network (even an English language affiliate until 2011).

The Wikipedia article at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetoon

lists many if not all of the series broadcast on various Spacetoon affiliates. Perhaps you will recognize the name of the show to which the episode you recall belongs.

I also suggest reviewing the list of shows dubbed into Arabic by Venus Centre:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_Centre

Venus Centre provided the majority of Arabic dubs of Japanese anime for Spacetoon.
Andika CL Atmadja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote
i watched it around 2011-2012 but i don't remember completely and the Anime is dubbed with Indonesian languages.

Btw what is time frame ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 526 of 569